View towards Carnedd y Cribau from Glydyr Fach

Name
Rory
Edit My Images
Yes
I swapped some shifts over so I could hopefully get some decent weather. Thursday was supposed to be the best day of the week :)

I decided to head for Glydyr Fach from behind the Pen y Gwryd hotel. I parked my car on the Conwy side...free parking ;-)

Not the best of routes up and conditions were not exactly great.

This is about as good as it got.
View towards Carnedd y Cribau by Rory Trappe, on Flickr

All I did on your spectacular take was to adjust the DRL and the WB, nothing else.
These two tweaks remove the washed out aspect and render proper colours.
Now, I think it is ready for your artistic intent!

Carnedd%201.jpg

Lovely light under the clouds there.
Not keen on the edit though, far too harsh for the conditions.

That's one very nice image Rory, good comp' and really lovely light. As with others I too much prefer the original presentation.(y)

George.

I saw this on the homepage and immediately had to check it out. Fabulously caught, wonderful image. I am also with the masses and think the original is strongest.

Rory, that's a nice shot and very reminiscent of Greg Whitton's work! I was contemplating dawn this morning but looked out of the window, decided there was too much cloud around and went back to bed!!!

I don't like Kodiak's edit, the extra contrast looks very implausible and in such conditions something as far away as Cribau would look as it does in your original. I also prefer your warmer WB. I do think that editing mountain scenes that you were not privy to in the first instance is an exercise in futility, such is the difference between mountain photography and that of less elevated locations ;)

Rory, that's a nice shot and very reminiscent of Greg Whitton's work! I was contemplating dawn this morning but looked out of the window, decided there was too much cloud around and went back to bed!!!

I don't like Kodiak's edit, the extra contrast looks very implausible and in such conditions something as far away as Cribau would look as it does in your original. I also prefer your warmer WB. I do think that editing mountain scenes that you were not privy to in the first instance is an exercise in futility, such is the difference between mountain photography and that of less elevated locations ;)
Thanks Nick. I originally set my alarm for 05:45 to be in the hills for sun up. Like you I looked out of the window and spotted clouds. As I had swapped shifts to have the day off I thought what the heck. It was a bit boggy at times but a good excuse to stretch the legs.....and boy did I need that.

Yep, I'd imagine it was bit damp around PyG and Caseg Fraith hee hee

Getting out is what it's all about eh? Especially when you get the chance during monsoon season! ;)

Yep, I'd imagine it was bit damp around PyG and Caseg Fraith hee hee

Getting out is what it's all about eh? Especially when you get the chance during monsoon season! ;)

On my return I made a slight detour to Llyn Cwmffynon. I might try that location on a still day to get a reflection of Crib Goch at sunrise. You may have already done this?

On my return I made a slight detour to Llyn Cwmffynon. I might try that location on a still day to get a reflection of Crib Goch at sunrise. You may have already done this?

I've scouted it out but as yet it's still on my 'to do' list...let's see who gets there first ;)

The original is by far the better image..it's seriously beautiful. I had to click as soon as I saw it on the homepage too!

What wonderful crepuscular(!) rays and light - well captured Rory.

I had to click as soon as I saw the dd and the y's :D - I love the Welsh scenery!

Hard to get the feeling right, photographically, with this type of light.

Daniel - this is Wales & the atmosphere is 'soft' - you've tried to make it 'hard' with your edit (refer to Nick's post above). It's not just a graphic exercise,, but about a sense of place.

If it was mine, I might've left the highlight end alone, tightened up the dark end a bit (are you listening, Rory?), and attempted a bit of cautious curve-fiddling with the mid-tones.

Hard to get the feeling right, photographically, with this type of light.

Daniel - this is Wales & the atmosphere is 'soft' - you've tried to make it 'hard' with your edit (refer to Nick's post above). It's not just a graphic exercise,, but about a sense of place.

You've put much more diplomatically than I could and very succinct too ;)

Very nice shot Rory.

the extra contrast looks very implausible
No extra contrast was added Nick,.
this is Wales & the atmosphere is 'soft'…
I understand that perfectly, Rog, and I have never seen the place
but my point is not that but to start with the recorded data and add
or tweak to reach the desired rendition. When one starts with ALL
the recorded data, any further decision is easier to make
From here, the OP may tweak to heart's content but with the whole recorded data.
I would never, here as a member or in a session with my students, offer a final
rendition but indicate to the shooter's in the best possible ways to achieve in a
informed workflow their own vision of the scene since I know I was not there!

Last edited:
Fantastic shot yet again and sorry to say this but Kodiak's rework of the image is PANTS far to harsh for the conditions...funny isn't it he NEVER posts any of HIS pics on here

Dave

I'm pretty sure i've seen his pics up for comment before, and although i agree the first edit was indeed 'PANTS' at least he's taken the time to have a go and and give his feedback (pretty much the whole point of this site)

Anyway to the OP great shot, I tried a few like this when I was in Snowdonia a few weeks ago, but I have absolutely zero ability to frame a decent landscape :(

The composition and the light really do a great job of conveying the atmosphere/scale of the place

That is lovely Rory....(original edit) Have always had a thing about rays bursting through the clouds, but this has taken it to another level, and put it together in that landscape is just special!
It has been indeed a pleasure to look at.... You must be really pleased with that one mate.
I've been in it a few times today.... Will have another look tonight on a proper screen!;)(y)

The original for me here Rory.....all the way.....Lovely moody shot.

The edits hold no merit at all IMO.

It looks like a nuclear bomb has gone off and all the ethereal beauty and delicacy has been removed from the scene. I wish more posters would disable edits so we are spared these radio active alternate "renditions"

Are you for real? There's no need to be so rude about it. The guy is simply trying to help.
So we should turn off a feature that encourages people to participate, communicate and help each other?

Seems like the famous K can do no wrong around here

Reactions: ST4
Don't particularly like either shot actually.

K is trying (!) to be helpful. No one has to get excited and rude. Just ignore......................

IMHO
Mj

I have no issues with anyone editing my images on the forum. If they feel they can offer advice, hints or tips then great, that is why we are all on here.
I have posted a few horrors in the past and as a result of some feedback, re edited the images and yes, there was an improvement.....so please continue :)

As for the image I posted at the start of the thread. I will stick to the original edit.

I think there comes a time when constant chipping in by someone of such lack lustre ability becomes tiresome.

Photographer joins forum
Photographer sets about getting involved in the forum
Photographer spends large amount of time posting in photo threads on the photo forum

How Terrible. Should I Unlock the Stores of Pitchforks and Blazing Torches Now, or keep them until this evening, as they'll look far more effective in a dark setting...

or alternatively...

We could simply remember that all members are allowed their opinion, and, opinions are often as individual as the members themselves. If you don't agree with the opinion, illustrate WHY it's wrong, don't simply attack the person expressing that opinion. That would be as wrong as saying for example that all persons caught speeding at over 50mph above the speed limit should be locked up for 6 months making small rocks out of big ones, and come out to recieve a lifetime ban from the roads on anything but a bus or bicycle. You see, WRONG.

Ok, as you were folks.

I think there comes a time when constant chipping in by someone of such lack lustre ability becomes tiresome.

Who are you to judge? Do you have any idea how arrogant your post comes across as?

Personally, I think Kodiak's commentary on images provides another viewpoint. And he has to be respected for the fact that he continues to contribute despite the witch hunts he has endured.

It does not mean his word is gospel. So - comment on the picture - which, by the way, is freakin' awesome!

Kodiak's edit has merit. I think there is common ground between the OP and the subsequent edits.

Marie

Back