Views and opinions on these two please

Name
Darren Russell
Edit My Images
Yes
lol, yeah there about the only two birds I really know the. identity off.

Yep both birds. How about composition colours etc. Are they ok?

Exported differently, still learning Lightroom. Are sharper/better?

_G0I3343 2 by Darren Russell, on Flickr

I would say that you are over-sharpening. I am aware that I am in a minority here but birds are soft creatures and that should be reflected in portraits of them.

For me, the first KF is a good solid perch shot - nice colours, good detail, nicely framed.

The heron shot, I'm not as keen on, the overall look of the frame is too dark, the bird is too central in the frame, and cropping the bright strip away from the top of the frame would help.

The last king has real potential. If you have some more negative space to the right of the bird I would add that, cropping away the distracting stalks on the left, but keeping the framing really loose as you've done here. The head angle is beautifully angled slightly towards us. On a technical note, it looks like you've added a little bit too much noise reduction to the bird, leaving it a little 'smeared'.

I had a little play and had to bodge the background so its not as neat as if you did it, but maybe something along these lines?

48445770011_17146e9145_h-RP.jpg

Mike

I would say that you are over-sharpening. I am aware that I am in a minority here but birds are soft creatures and that should be reflected in portraits of them.

Taken on board.. but i haven't done any real sharpening to them. Raw export has but its set to 30 which is (default) really low goes to 150.

For me, the first KF is a good solid perch shot - nice colours, good detail, nicely framed.

The heron shot, I'm not as keen on, the overall look of the frame is too dark, the bird is too central in the frame, and cropping the bright strip away from the top of the frame would help.

The last king has real potential. If you have some more negative space to the right of the bird I would add that, cropping away the distracting stalks on the left, but keeping the framing really loose as you've done here. The head angle is beautifully angled slightly towards us. On a technical note, it looks like you've added a little bit too much noise reduction to the bird, leaving it a little 'smeared'.

I had a little play and had to bodge the background so its not as neat as if you did it, but maybe something along these lines?

View attachment 251586

Mike

Thanks the Heron is a pain in the arse to get exposure right.

I have pretty much left camera raw defaults tbh as I haven't learnt how to do post processing myself, noise reduction is set by default to 10. But I have noticed the look you mention. I started to put to put it down to the 1dx mk2 sensors or exporting settings.

Turned noise reduction of on the raw editor and cropped only the lose reed in the corner. Any better? Exported closer to its real size of 4,000px on the longest edge. On Flickr has printed well.

1 by Darren Russell, on Flickr

Last edited:
Back