Beginner Views of New York, looking for your views

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi
I am as you can see, pretty new on here. For years I have been a happy snapper but have decided lately to get a tad more serious. I have a Canon 50, will soon be getting a Canon 5 mk.III. In the meantime, I took a few photos recently in New York and would be very interested in any feedback on some of these shots. generally to point me in the right direction, so to speak, and will welcome any observations. Thanking you all in advance.

I am also totally unsure of the etiquette here so I am probably doing everything wrong, so forgive me and again if I am.

#1 (please note though that the halo was intentional . There was a mist around the building and the light was reflecting off that mist.)

3765-1
by Dean Moriarty on Talk Photography

4450-1

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't point you in the right direction, but I'll comment on what I see- and what I might have done.
1 interesting shot
2 a bit fussy, too much going on- people can be annoying!
3 too much going on- three main subjects: the towers, the bridge and the seat.
4 a slightly closer crop to take out the water might make it stronger
5 again, a slightly tighter crop to remove the trees (and the bottom section of the LH tower) at the bottom to concentrate on just the towers

Ken - I thought suggesting to crop out the water in #4 but then thought the reflection on the water of the sun looked quite good unless I am completely wrong and think there should be more reflection to make it work?

1 2 and 5 say NY to me

no 2 being the most reminiscent of the time i was there
you dont have to blitz the reality of the big apple...take it as it is

Ken - I thought suggesting to crop out the water in #4 but then thought the reflection on the water of the sun looked quite good unless I am completely wrong and think there should be more reflection to make it work?
It was my first impression.

You're correct. A vertical shot with more reflection would work too.

Sorry, just to explain, the OP is my Dad and he's been away so unable to come back to the thread to respond to any comments

My tip is for number 4.

The sun has been over exposed and is blown out.
To get round this and give you a nice dark silhouette change the metering mode to spot metering. You then aim usually the brightest part of the image to the get the exposure, lock it in, recompose and take your shot.

Although the sun was quite high so still might not work so would of been better going back a little later on.

Hope that helps

Many apologies, I haven't responded sooner. I have been away on family business. I have struggled for some time to get the silhouettes right, so I will take on board Daymouse' suggestion. Cheers. I'll try again. Thanks to you all for taking the time to post. Much appreciated. I'll keep trying.

Back