Virginia Water in the Snow

R

RobbieW

Please be gentle with me, this is my first attempt at photographying snow.

C&C welcome

IMG_4030.jpg

Good job on the snow Rob - would maybe have gone for a portrait orientation, adding some reflection from the water and cutting out the over-hanging branches on the left.

It's a nice image, Rob.
Sometimes shooting snow can be tricky.

A couple of question.

Did you shoot in RAW?
There seems to be a slight greenish colour cast.
If you shot the image in RAW you can always go back and change the white balance.

Did you dial in some exposure compensation?
Normally you have to increase the exposure since your light meter will be fooled by the white snow and under-expose.

The exif details show a 1 sec exposure which suggests a tripod.
The aperture was 4.5
If you have the camera on a tripod and have no motion in the image why not use a smaller aperture ?

Questions, questions, questions. :thinking:

It's a nice image, Rob.
Sometimes shooting snow can be tricky.

A couple of question.

Did you shoot in RAW?
There seems to be a slight greenish colour cast.
If you shot the image in RAW you can always go back and change the white balance.

Did you dial in some exposure compensation?
Normally you have to increase the exposure since your light meter will be fooled by the white snow and under-expose.

The exif details show a 1 sec exposure which suggests a tripod.
The aperture was 4.5
If you have the camera on a tripod and have no motion in the image why not use a smaller aperture ?

Questions, questions, questions. :thinking:

Very valid points from Cameron here Rob,i`ll second his thoughts.

I admit I left the camera in in shutter priority mode after taking photos of the waterfall!

The exposure comp was set to 0 as I was trying to cheat and set it afterwards as I took the pic in RAW.

Unfortunately snow doesn't appear here often so won't be able to have another chance for quite a while.

Unfortunately snow doesn't appear here often so won't be able to have another chance for quite a while.
Normally I would say "I Wish" to that remark but we haven't had any to speak of yet. :shrug:

Agree with Cameron's points re white balance. There is still a lot you can do with that picture.

Back