Review Visible Dust Sensor Brush

mho

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
No
Just a small / quick review of the Visible Dust Sensor Brush.

Website http://www.visibledust.com/

I bought this set from Ebay for £17. Its the old packaging see website for new stuff.

_MHO4911copy.jpg

In the set you get the following

20mm wide brush (for 1.3 crop sensors)
8mm wide brush
3mm wide brush

The 20mm brush is for cleaning the sensor, 8mm brush for cleaning the sensor box, and the 3mm brush is a spec grabber for the sensor.

There are a few ways to enhance the brush's fibres so they trap the dust on the sensor and clean away any traped dust.

1. Use a bulb blower to blow air over the fibres.
2. Use a spinning device to move the fibres in the air.
3. Use canned air to blow over the fibres.

I used method 1. Blow air over the fibres to enhance them and remove dust with a Hurricane blower.

After "charging" the fibres with air from the blower I cleaned the sensor from left to right.
Re "charged" / cleaned the fibres with the blower, and went right to left over the sensor.

The sensor pics of before and after are shown below.

Before

_MHO4906.jpg

After

_MHO4907.jpg

This is the first time I have used the Sensor Brush, and I found it superb.
Much easier than cleaning with pec pads, sensor swabs, and eclipse fluid, and no chance of scratching the glass / sensor.
If you dont do things like blow in your camera to dislodge dust etc or use canned air I cant see why the brush wont work all the time.
If you have a liquid / oil from your cameras mech then it will be the pads again.

A very very good product and I finally see what people have been raving on about all this time. Superb.

My next purchase will be a Sensor brush spinning device and some brush cleaner.

cheers

Mark

Looks great! You mention brush cleaner, that means you can use the kit again?

Looks great! You mention brush cleaner, that means you can use the kit again?

Yes - blowing the brush with air removes the dust from the brush, and makes it ready for a fresh clean.

Visible Dust recommend using brush cleaner every 10-15 times you clean the sensor. The cleaner is approx $ 9 and their is enough for 8 cleans i think

The powered brush in the vid looks interesting, simple and as you guys are saying.. effective. Time for a mooch I think.

Sounds like a very cost effective method. Thanks!

I have the brushes and they are fab!

The compressed air doesn't just clean the brush but "charges" it so the dust is attracted to them. DO NOT TOUCH with fingers as this adds oils.

I also have their pads and are of a similarly high quality ( for your more stubborn stains.....:))

Might have to invest in some of them. Thanks for sharing (y)

Nice one. I have a similar brush but made by Copperhill. Apparently you can also wash them in baby (or similar gentle) shampoo. I've not tried this (mainly due to the lack of said shampoo as mine's just turned 17 :p). They're a lot less hassle (and cheaper) than the wet way.

I agree with all the above.... a more efficient, safe way of cleaning I've yet to find.

Battled with Pecpads and although they work reasonably well, they're just not in the same league as Visible dust kit(s). Championship stuff! :clap:

Thanks for this review. I've recently broken myself in and am no longer a pecpad / wet swipe virgin, and this looks much easier.....

Will bookmark for future use, thanks :)

Great review

i'll bear it in mind when it's time to clean the 5D :)

Has anyone sent a link to this thread to Janice :eek:

i want one at that price, cant find them on ebay tho.

This is the way I have been using to clean my sensor for almost 4 years now. One word of warning to those who have the orginal brushes and add the Arctic Butterfly attachment, it is a very frustraiting process as it is very difficult to get the brush to sit into the attachment without falling off as soon as you press the spin button.

This is the reason why I got a SL700. The all in one brushes are much easier to use, especially when traveling, and come with a nice carry case. The Arctic Butterfly is not nearly as effective at charging the brushes as compressed air (I have found).

Back