Visit to Loch Lomond

Steve's right. The image focusses attention on the foreground but that's not where the interest is. Did you take any from out on those rocks? That's where I would have been. My first photos of Lomond were taken in mist and it's a beautiful place then. It never seems the same in 'good' conditions.

I think you've made very good use of the conditions. I like the subdued feel it has and the mist on the hills just makes it. I think maybe just a tad higher taking the shot, to get the top of the reflection visible too but it is lovely just as it is. (y)

Nice capture that is processed nicely to show the lovely tones. I think a vertical capture with the island lined up with the plant that looks the shape of the island lined up with it.
Was it possible with the shot to inlude the bottome of the rock that is on teh edge of the frame.

Thank you everyone! I love all the comments just what I need to hear as I took so many of this island on the day :) I will now go and look at them again. One had nothing more than a small rock in front that might be better but I will post what I find. Thanks for looking :)

I like the images but the conditions and the island screams minimalist to me. I would have went for a straight shot of teh island. That being said I like the tones of the images and they are lovely and clear and sharp. Good stuff

I like the images but the conditions and the island screams minimalist to me. I would have went for a straight shot of teh island. That being said I like the tones of the images and they are lovely and clear and sharp. Good stuff

I can see that now too so maybe need to use my 70-200 to get a little closer. I did have it with me so next time I am going to try that thank you.

Oh aye. Nice to see a good picture of it.

Couple of things.

1. Camera height. Going lower isn’t always better as here the foreground has cut off the reflection of the island.
2. Does it even need foreground? I’m not so sure. The distant scene is what’s interesting here.

There are quite a few good compositions possible here. I am quite happy with one keeping all the foreground in one, but the camera height / separation is a real important point here.

Had a look and think this might work better.

Loch Lomond... by Catherine Cochrane, on Flickr

The reflections is broken. I'd just go for a simple clean island + reflections in the mist. Ripples are your worst enemy here.

The reflections is broken. I'd just go for a simple clean island + reflections in the mist. Ripples are your worst enemy here.

Ever so slightly. A little stopper would smooth that lot out. So long as it wasn’t windy you’d get the exposure long enough to smooth the water without getting blurred foliage which is the worse thing ever.

Perhaps, even, as these ripples have a whiff of duck to them timing the shot so everything is totally still naturally. It takes time but it can be done.

There are quite a few good compositions possible here. I am quite happy with one keeping all the foreground in one, but the camera height / separation is a real important point here.

Great learning info I had not even noticed that but will remember now . Thank you .

Hello there Cathy. I like this. Too long since I stood on the shores of Loch Lomond...

Sharing online may throw us off balance a bit -- sometimes lots of voices. Composition can be subjective and images we're pleased with might clash with others' sensibilities and opinions, if you know what I mean.

But looking at my own work I know separation often matters, as does keeping key elements away from the edge of the frame. General stuff like that.

I really like that wee island. A telephoto shot of that might work well.

Hello there Cathy. I like this. Too long since I stood on the shores of Loch Lomond...

Sharing online may throw us off balance a bit -- sometimes lots of voices. Composition can be subjective and images we're pleased with might clash with others' sensibilities and opinions, if you know what I mean.

But looking at my own work I know separation often matters, as does keeping key elements away from the edge of the frame. General stuff like that.

I really like that wee island. A telephoto shot of that might work well.

Sam thank you. I have loved all comments and fully understand them now. I shoot by myself so learning as I go. I cant wait for another outing with my camera so that I can practice everything I have learned from posting this image. I have been looking online about leading lines etc so i need to slow down and consider my composition a little better. Love the info on the ripples too that just makes so much sense if aiming for good reflections. I see something I like and just dont take enough time so will slow down next time and move around to see how I can improve the shot.

Composition can be subjective and images we're pleased with might clash with others' sensibilities and opinions, if you know what I mean.

Just to confuse things .... I rather like the foreground on the first image. I'd think about crop it from the left leaving the right hand side as a square.

Not that my subjectivity is better than the original photographer or that of those making their own observations. It's my flawed subjectivity.

Back