Visiting Arina & Achilles

Name
Fi
Edit My Images
Yes
We managed to get to Howletts last week which made me very happy - 1: because I really enjoy Howletts and 2: because there were a couple of tigers I was very much looking forward to seeing.

Arina is an Amur tiger who was born with some issues - she did not develop enough bone mass as a cub and although she's had some surgery to correct this she walks with a limp and suffers with arthritis. She is also a little wonkey eyed. I have a huge soft spot for her... she was hand reared and loves people - if you walk up and have a chat with her she will chuff at you to say hello and try to rub heads through the glass. Interestingly I have a little house tiger at home who has similar issue with the same leg. She was as friendly as ever last week :)

Kent_20190218_145344 by Daysleeper40, on Flickr

Most of you will be aware of London Zoo recently losing their female Sumatran tiger Melati during attempted introductions with their new male Asim. Desperately sad - she was a beautiful and fiesty girl. The second tiger I was looking forward to seeing was one of her male cubs Achilles who has recently been paired with a female at Howletts. We saw this guy when he was a teeny tiny thing and have watched him grow since. He is not so little any more - and looks a bit like his dad now! Here he is objecting to next door getting some dinner...

Kent_20190218_164507 by Daysleeper40, on Flickr

Kent_20190218_164722_01 by Daysleeper40, on Flickr

Kent_20190218_164252 by Daysleeper40, on Flickr

Kent_20190218_164507_01 by Daysleeper40, on Flickr

Kent_20190218_164434 by Daysleeper40, on Flickr

Beautiul cat - he and the female were chuffing and head rubbing a LOT so fingers crossed for the pitter patter of tiny paws. It is at least nice to know Melati has left a legacy.

Anyway - thanks for looking - C&C always welcome.

Last edited:
Lovely set Fi I love the way you caught the cross eyed Tiger (y)

Cracking set of images

Achilles is a handsome chap, saw him last year not long after he arrived

I remember seeing Arina when she was a cub with her brother Kazimir who sadly died very young
I got into trouble with the keeper when she was doing her talk I disagreed when she said Arina was an important
addition to the breeding programme despite her many problems, hopefully this is no longer the plan for her

Nicely done Fi (y)

Achilles is a handsome chap, saw him last year not long after he arrived

I remember seeing Arina when she was a cub with her brother Kazimir who sadly died very young
I got into trouble with the keeper when she was doing her talk I disagreed when she said Arina was an important
addition to the breeding programme despite her many problems, hopefully this is no longer the plan for her

Nicely done Fi (y)

I very much doubt it re the breeding - and thank you :)

Back