North England Visiting Liverpool coastal locations

Name
jason
Edit My Images
Yes
I will be in Liverpool on Tuesday (29th May) evening and hoping for some good weather. I have visited before and been to Crosby Beach and Albert Dock areas. Mickledore was very helpful. I'm thinking of visiting New Brighton Lighthouse, and then maybe back to Crosby beach. I'm staying in Knowsley so if any locals can help with travel advice? Which order would be best to visit? AA route planner says Wallesey Tunnel. Is that a Toll road?
Low tide is around 6.40pm so both will be accessible. If there is a sunset to be had, its not going to be until a fair few hours later so probably not gonna capture that.
I can head from New Brighton, back up to Crosby, then head back to Knowsley. Is this the best route?

Also, I quite like the night time panoramic cityscape type shot from over the river, looking back at the city with it all lit up. Obviously, its gonna be late at that time and I need to get back to my Hotel in Knowsley.

I will be visiting quite regularly over the next year so there will be other opportunities to get these shots. I think the lighthouse could be the priority as the tide is out at the right time.

Any advice from the locals on here?

I'm fairly sure @mickledore will give you good advice, as will (perhaps) @Mr Perceptive .

I really like Formby beach which is a bit further up the coast. Been a long time since I've been there, and I'm not sure if the red squirrels are still kicking about, but the dunes are really nice.

Both the Mersey Tunnels are tolls, the Wallasey (Kingsway) Tunnel is certainly the easiest for New Brighton.

The best cityscapes tend to be from around the Birkenhead (Woodside) Ferry Terminal.

For future visits other places to consider on the Wirral side are Bidston Hill (windmill/observatory/lighthouse), Thurstaston Common and Port Sunlight village.

GC

I'm fairly sure @mickledore will give you good advice, as will (perhaps) @Mr Perceptive .

I really like Formby beach which is a bit further up the coast. Been a long time since I've been there, and I'm not sure if the red squirrels are still kicking about, but the dunes are really nice.
Thanks Ian. I'm already involved with Jason. PMs are pinging to and fro! Suspect it's a bit far for you, is it not?

Jason

You seem to be doing a lot of zipping about, especially as you will be visiting several times, you could afford to spend more time at locations!!

Perch Rock Lighthouse isn't in my opinion at its best at full low tide, yes you can shoot over the rocks and pools, but around the base of the lighthouse will be sand, this does attract people and dog walkers, so if you want shots without humanoids you may be disappointed, the adjacent breakwater is definitely not as photogenic at low tide as it is when the tide is higher.

Liverpool from Birkenhead us a great shot, and can be really good in the blue hour when some lights are on, but be aware that the Wheel often goes out around 9pm during the week, though this may be extended as its half term. As mentioned above near the ferry terminal is good, you can also park in Pacific Road and walk through to the front (50 metres!)

I would visit these two locations as one visit, and then deal with Crosby Beach on another visit.

Hope this helps.

Thanks. I think the blue hour is going to be too late as its roughly 9.30pm. I really like this shot of the lighthouse which initially got my interest.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=KF11BcCl&id=B4FA8F22CED070B3B672EF1192EF67D3AACB17DB&thid=OIP.KF11BcClnJz0yU6YhX171gHaEo&mediaurl=http://esphoto980x880.mnstatic.com/new-brighton-lighthouse_7697961.jpg&exph=613&expw=980&q=new+brighton+lighthouse&simid=608002917151016224&selectedIndex=18&ajaxhist=0

I got some great shots of Crosby Beach on my last visit as the tide and sunset were all aligned. I just have a few more ideas of shots of the statues.

You will struggle to get that sort of light unless you stay longer into the evening. This was taken late April at 7.45pm in the evening (last year), so in late May its going to be even more daylight!

170426 Perch Rock Evening Light
by David Yeoman, on Flickr

And this one was Liverpool from Birkenhead at around 9pm (again late April last year)

170426 Liverpool Pier Head
by David Yeoman, on Flickr

Personally I'd stop out and stay for the blue hour. Sunset should be spot on for the Lighthouse https://app.photoephemeris.com/?ll=...100&z=10&spn=1.28,1.62&center=53.3956,-3.2027

Whats the rush to get back to Knowlsey, some kind of curfew?? Its only a 30min drive from New Brighton/Birkenhead back to Knowsley at that time of night.

I suppose I could rearrange timings. I'm travelling from Middlesbrough, arriving Midday. Working until 4pm, then checking in to hotel.
I suppose I cold have tea early then go out later. I need a good night sleep as I'm back in work at 8am, then driving back to Boro at midday.

I know its progress but those modern developments have ruined that iconic waterfront.

Born and raised in Birkenhead, I remember how imposing the Liver Building was when crossing the Mersey as a kid.

GC

Disaster. Frank couldn't make it due to trains and sun was too bright and in front of ahot5. Then my phone died at Crosby so had no sat nav to get anywhere so went back to hotel at 7pm.

I might pop over from the welsh hills to ,theres lots of places of interest on the wirral worth a visit

Let me know if you fancy a mini meet. Long time no see.
will do frank ,off to bempton next weekend for a week so it will have to be late June at the earliest

No problems Jeff. We're off to Prague soon so end of the month will be good for me too.

Back