Critique "Vogue" Any suggestions on Edits?

Name
Jason
Edit My Images
Yes
****Updated**** Any suggestions on edits would be appreciated - thank you - Ive Now put all thee images on the top post. For me I think I'm happy with Number 3...

I want the magazine to lend itself to the environment.... so im thinking of renaming the image to something like... "When I Grow up, I Want To Be.... " or something along those lines

Cheers

1.jpg

2, Reflection removal on magazine and subjects face had a little work...
b.jpg

3, combination of 1 & 2 with relocation of Chanel logo
strike-a-pose-vogue-.jpg

Last edited:
ok maybe i suggested an edit of my own... ha ha - First time i had to do photoshop work on a Chanel model... ha ha

b.jpg

Background- is a little distracting for me an easy PP fix though

I love No1

Les ;)

Thanks Les.......

May I ask - what is it about Number One that everyone prefers ?

Thanks

Where you've cloned out the reflection in the magazine, you've added shadow where there wouldn't be any (look at where it falls under her chin) and you've given her a very chiseled jaw line, and there would be a curve here not a straight line. The line of the jaw is a tad wonky too. You might want to have another go at this?

Where you've cloned out the reflection in the magazine, you've added shadow where there wouldn't be any (look at where it falls under her chin) and you've given her a very chiseled jaw line, and there would be a curve here not a straight line. The line of the jaw is a tad wonky too. You might want to have another go at this?

Hows that Ian

sap by Irafusha By Jason Palmer, on Flickr

Just food for thought, seeing as this is not a post process forum:

Now you've played with that.. does any of that actually change how the viewer reads the photograph, or how they view the child?

Just a thought.

Not sure about those eyes now, looks like a possession by some sort of Egyptian / alien life form :) never noticed them before.. I'd not noticed the other before though :)

Just food for thought, seeing as this is not a post process forum:

Now you've played with that.. does any of that actually change how the viewer reads the photograph, or how they view the child?

Just a thought.

You know what David - I ask myself this question all the time... We edit images based on what we believe is best for the image and what we think the viewer will find more pleasing. Of course theres the general rules which you can apply to an image compositionally in camera however after that a lot is very subjective wouldn't you agree?

Normally I would line up three of the same photo's all with different edits and ask my partner (who knows nothing about photography) which she thinks is the best. If anything just to get an angle on what the Joe public "may" think is a nice image/edit.... but of cause the jo public dont see the edit - just an image... In this case I didnt not do that...

I guess in answer to you question - i did learn from this feed. Mainly a couple of simple mistakes pointed out by @Morbid (AKA Ian) about the shadows and jawline.... Sometime when you are looking at the same images for an hour or so its easy to miss simple mistakes

Thanks David

You know what David - I ask myself this question all the time... We edit images based on what we believe is best for the image and what we think the viewer will find more pleasing. Of course theres the general rules which you can apply to an image compositionally in camera however after that a lot is very subjective wouldn't you agree?

Normally I would line up three of the same photo's all with different edits and ask my partner (who knows nothing about photography) which she thinks is the best. If anything just to get an angle on what the Joe public "may" think is a nice image/edit.... but of cause the jo public dont see the edit - just an image... In this case I didnt not do that...

I guess in answer to you question - i did learn from this feed. Mainly a couple of simple mistakes pointed out by @Morbid (AKA Ian) about the shadows and jawline.... Sometime when you are looking at the same images for an hour or so its easy to miss simple mistakes

Thanks David

I think the point I was making, was initially it was about details like text placement etc., and in all honesty, I don't think the viewer would have cared less either way, as they would have been almost entirely, if not entirely focused upon the little girl.

It's so easy to get caught up in details that only other photographers would ever even notice :)

leave them as they are. lovely crisp, clear and well composed. your little model is a real cherub.

The blurring on the skin of the neck & cheek where you've removed the reflections is still really obvious. You might be able to do a bit of reconstruction by using frequency separation and copying texture from elsewhere in the image but really, there's just no need.

The eyes of your daughter are ferociously bright; they were fine before.

If I was going to do anything it would be to increase the contrast of the whole image slightly, except for the area of the magazine where I'd reduce it a little. That's currently the region of highest contrast - especially in your last edit - and consequently the eye is drawn to it rather than to your daughter's face.

Back