Wild Vultures in France

Name
Graham
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,
Heres one from yesterdays little trip to the Gorge du Verdon (South of France)

Griffon Vulture (Gyps fulvus) is what these are and there are lots here (I live here)
I have done a bit of PP but not too much, ran through PS to denoise and sharpen.
Hope you like this shot, there are more shots on my Flickr although not all as good (imo) lol

Watching us from below-2 by Graham, on Flickr

Thanks for looking

A tad too low key but looks very majestic, Graham!

wonder why we don't get these in the uk? not enough food i wonder,?
I think these and wolves go hand in hand, as you might know they have wolves in this part of France now, what they leave the vultures will finish.

They've got them in Crete as well, up in the White Mountains (possibly elsewhere too). They have a feeding station near Omolos village and they appear to nest on the mountainside facing the refuge/taverna at the top of the Samaria Gorge. Managed a few grab shots of them at a distance over the feeding station (only discovered that they were fed after we got home!) and a poor snatched one as they came towards us while we were lunching in the taverna. Also seen a pair further West in Crete - with a youngster on the nest. Didn't have a long enough lens to capture them last time we went that way.

Cracking shot! Not often you get to look down on them while they're flying.

They've got them in Crete as well, up in the White Mountains (possibly elsewhere too). They have a feeding station near Omolos village and they appear to nest on the mountainside facing the refuge/taverna at the top of the Samaria Gorge. Managed a few grab shots of them at a distance over the feeding station (only discovered that they were fed after we got home!) and a poor snatched one as they came towards us while we were lunching in the taverna. Also seen a pair further West in Crete - with a youngster on the nest. Didn't have a long enough lens to capture them last time we went that way.

Cracking shot! Not often you get to look down on them while they're flying.
Haha, well they are normally above or below you here, there are lots here now, maybe 30 breeding pairs as I have read.
They are so gracious when they fly above you just maybe 20 feet minimum.
Thanks for your input Mr Nod.

Back