Edit My Images
Yes

Cobra

Staff member
Name
Phitt, Hissy Phitt
Edit My Images
No
Last year I had about 45 mins of them flying about 10 metres above me one by one, I was Gobsmacked.

I'm not sure how close or otherwise you are to here,

Bioparc de Doué-la-Fontaine
103 Rue de Cholet, 49700 Doué-la-Fontaine, France.

Its a great zoo, and they have what can only be described as an amphitheater no roof and lots of vultures free to roam or fly,
But it is a tad disconcerting when they start chewing on your feet, / trainers I guess working their way up to the best bits?
:D

Nod

Krispy and Kremey
Name
Nod (NOT Ethel!!!)
Edit My Images
Yes
Spent an hour or so watching a few groups of Griffon Vultures floating around over a village in the White Mountains (Lefka Ori) in Crete a few weeks back. The locals put any dead livestock out for them to supplement their natural "prey". Typically, I'd decided to travel (photographically) light so only had a compact with me but will be returning with a longer lens ASAP!

OP
Graham
Name
Graham
Edit My Images
Yes
Spent an hour or so watching a few groups of Griffon Vultures floating around over a village in the White Mountains (Lefka Ori) in Crete a few weeks back. The locals put any dead livestock out for them to supplement their natural "prey". Typically, I'd decided to travel (photographically) light so only had a compact with me but will be returning with a longer lens ASAP!
That sounds so cool, if only I could get a shot or 5 of them on a close ish rock would make my day.
I am sure that there is a feeding station somewhere close by as I have seen about 200 circling as they do..

OP
Graham
Name
Graham
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm not sure how close or otherwise you are to here,

Bioparc de Doué-la-Fontaine
103 Rue de Cholet, 49700 Doué-la-Fontaine, France.

Its a great zoo, and they have what can only be described as an amphitheater no roof and lots of vultures free to roam or fly,
But it is a tad disconcerting when they start chewing on your feet, / trainers I guess working their way up to the best bits?
:D
That looks like a very nice and caring place, A bit far from me though.
Maybe you tasted good that day ;)

Cobra

Staff member
Name
Phitt, Hissy Phitt
Edit My Images
No
OP
Graham
Name
Graham
Edit My Images
Yes
Must have been my choice of deodorant that day ( rotting rabbit I think it was :D )
I was going to say Cheese as it was your feet :D

Nod

Krispy and Kremey
Name
Nod (NOT Ethel!!!)
Edit My Images
Yes
At a different café in another area (only about 20 miles but close to 90 minutes of driving away), I was taking some telephoto shots of rock formations when I spotted something large coming towards us. It was a vulture of some sort, probably another Griffon but there are 2 or 3 other species known in the area. Had the wrong lens (100-400 with 1.4x telecon) fitted for the distance involved.

OP
Graham
Name
Graham
Edit My Images
Yes
At a different café in another area (only about 20 miles but close to 90 minutes of driving away), I was taking some telephoto shots of rock formations when I spotted something large coming towards us. It was a vulture of some sort, probably another Griffon but there are 2 or 3 other species known in the area. Had the wrong lens (100-400 with 1.4x telecon) fitted for the distance involved.
Hi Nod,
It`s the same here, I think 3 different types of Vultures but the Griffon is the most popular one.
Better luck next time.

OP
Graham
Name
Graham
Edit My Images
Yes