Wage for a grassroots sports photographer?

David,
you seem to be missing Tony's point!

you say a pro must adapt his goals to evolve, how can he do that if the job iswilling to be covered for free?

If you wanted your garden landscaping & asked for quotes & I popped up & said "I love gardening I'll do it for a cup of tea", who would you choose,(given that you know I can landscape cos I have the equipment) ?.

please tell me how the pro gardener can "up his game" in that situation? You can't go below zero unless I should pay to take the pics you think?

Yes if you knew I was good at gardening you could approach me as a favour but this was a request from a "pro" photographer to cover a sport rich or otherwise. "Pro" being defined as being paid for there services Regards Graham.

Last edited:
David,
you seem to be missing Tony's point!

you say a pro must adapt his goals to evolve, how can he do that if the job iswilling to be covered for free?

If you wanted your garden landscaping & asked for quotes & I popped up & said "I love gardening I'll do it for a cup of tea", who would you choose,(given that you know I can landscape cos I have the equipment) ?.

please tell me how the pro gardener can "up his game" in that situation? You can't go below zero unless I should pay to take the pics you think?

Yes if you knew I was good at gardening you could approach me as a favour but this was a request from a "pro" photographer to cover a sport rich or otherwise. "Pro" being defined as being paid for there services Regards Graham.
Very simply.

Guarantee results, develop networks that might benefit the client, be innovative, be unique, be up to date, be reliable, be demonstrably better etc.

If all you do is turn up and take a photo that anyone else could have taken, then you have no value

Edit to add - the real value is in the service not the product perhaps now?

Last edited:
Very simply.

Guarantee results, develop networks that might benefit the client, be innovative, be unique, be up to date, be reliable, be demonstrably better etc.

If all you do is turn up and take a photo that anyone else could have taken, then you have no value

Edit to add - the real value is in the service not the product perhaps now?

Yawn. Same old argument repeated ad nausiam. It doesn't beat free and never will.

The public willingness to accept sub-par imagery has well and truly seen to that.

Yawn. Same old argument repeated ad nausiam. It doesn't beat free and never will.

The public willingness to accept sub-par imagery has well and truly seen to that.

Then that market by your own admission is dead. Why continue to flog it and bitch and whine at your customers? Move on.

Nothing lasts forever.

Personally I do value service and I do pay for it. Try it. You might just find others do.

Then that market by your own admission is dead. Why continue to flog it and bitch and whine at your customers? Move on.

Nothing lasts forever.

Personally I do value service and I do pay for it. Try it. You might just find others do.

If you had any experience of professional sports photography, I might pay you some attention. But you clearly don't so.....

If you had any experience of professional sports photography, I might pay you some attention. But you clearly don't so.....

If you were prepared to widen your horizon and remove your blinkers, I might care.

There’s a whole world of business out there. It not unheard of for some to seek inspiration from what works well elsewhere, especially when everything is not so rosey.

That said, you’re right. Shout down dissent and keep looking 2 inches in front and plough on.

Can someone post a picture of a dead horse being flogged.. I cant find one :)

Just for you Kipax ! :LOL::LOL::LOL:

beating-dead-horse-gif-5.gif

Last edited:
Or is every scout leader, freeware developer, Samaritan or St John's Ambulance an IDIOT?
You're sitting there happily using the product of at least one of those - have you no shame?
No to mention the operators of this particular forum - Don't they know others are out there getting paid for operating communities?

Or do none of these apply - because sports is 'special'?

not special.. just not the same.. .. your examples have 10O% nothing to do with the subject.. your just making them up to try and win a debate.. stick to the subject :)

not special.. just not the same.. .. your examples have 10O% nothing to do with the subject.. your just making them up to try and win a debate.. stick to the subject :)

There's nothing to win though is there? It's not okay to have different perspectives?

I totally accept this is very polarised - few if any are going to change their point of view, that doesn't invalidate yours or mine. What is work for you may be a hobby for others, what you requiring paying for, others will willing do for other reasons. That's just a fact whether you like it or not, no need to call the 'other side' idiots.

Back