Critique Waiting For The Rain To Stop..

blakester

Shine On Harvest Moon
Name
Iain
Edit My Images
No
Something of an idea I have had for a while but just never got the opportunity to shoot it.
Visiting London today with my strangers project, I was around Liverpool Street Station when I found a location which was ideal for my 'concept'.
Conditions were perfect for it and I was so glad when I asked Paula who was visiting the capital with her partner Jamie if she would pose for me with her colourful umbrella.
Paula was an absolute star, having to go up and down stairs a couple of times for us to get the ideal composition. Comments and critique welcome.

Waiting For The Rain To Stop
by Iain Blake, on Flickr

Very different , I love it

Different? Nah, amusing and refreshing! (y)

Last edited:
Well I think it's a brilliant take - not something I would have thought of and great execution

“Cracking” shot Sir, very creative and well presented.(y)

George.

The hand gifts viewers your title aptly. In fact you could have possibly titled this inspiring concept “Caption This”

Blatant colour prop, which is ideal.

The hand gifts viewers your title aptly. In fact you could have possibly titled this inspiring concept “Caption This”

Blatant colour prop, which is ideal.

Thank you!
No colour pop about this. Global adjustments only.

Nicely executed.
Did you also get a more "traditional" stranger portrait?

Yes indeed I observed this, was actually referring to the umbrella as an acute “colour prop”.

Colour pop, is this not illegal?:eek:

My bad, I misunderstood :D
I thought you were suggesting selective colour :LOL:

Nicely executed.
Did you also get a more "traditional" stranger portrait?

Thanks Alistair, no I didn't make Paula's portrait for my project.
I've no idea why I didn't ask her :thinking:

I like it very much!

I'm not totally sold on the composition but it depends on what kind of mood you wanted to make.
There's a lot of negative space on the right. I like the way the hand intrudes into that space but it feels unbalanced - but not sufficiently unbalanced to be deilberately discombobulating

Similarly, the highest contrast region is the shadow / reflection - that's a little bit close to the edge of the frame for comfort.

If you've got the pixels I'd be very tempted to rotate anticlockwise about 30 degrees so the hand points directly at the top right corner of the frame, to include a bit more space at the bottom and perhaps just a little bit more all round.

I like it very much!

I'm not totally sold on the composition but it depends on what kind of mood you wanted to make.
There's a lot of negative space on the right. I like the way the hand intrudes into that space but it feels unbalanced - but not sufficiently unbalanced to be deilberately discombobulating

Similarly, the highest contrast region is the shadow / reflection - that's a little bit close to the edge of the frame for comfort.

If you've got the pixels I'd be very tempted to rotate anticlockwise about 30 degrees so the hand points directly at the top right corner of the frame, to include a bit more space at the bottom and perhaps just a little bit more all round.

Thanks Simon.
I hadn't considered rotating the image but I will certainly have a look at it later. I was more concentrating on correcting the lines to have them parallel in the frame so maybe this is why I hadn't considered the rotation. I'm not sure how much space at the bottom I have to work with in the original but its definitely worth a revisit.
I had considered a square crop to lessen the negative space on the right hand side.

Thanks again!

Back