Wales Rally GB 2015 - Gartheiniog Stages

Name
Rob
Edit My Images
Yes
Good Evening All,

Here is a selection from my take up of the 2015 WRC Wales Rally GB. It was a 3:30am start, a hike up to the stage in the pitch black while the wind and rain lashed down hard on us. We got drenched but it was totally worth it. Watching these world class drivers flying though the forest roads at incredible speed is something else!

I was constrained to just my 70-200 lens as I was not willing to swap lenses in the weather conditions we experienced. They were atrocious to say the least! Enjoy :)

Wales Rally GB 2015 Gartheiniog-1 by Robert Evans, on Flickr

Wales Rally GB 2015 Gartheiniog-3 by Robert Evans, on Flickr

Wales Rally GB 2015 Gartheiniog-4 by Robert Evans, on Flickr

Wales Rally GB 2015 Gartheiniog-16 by Robert Evans, on Flickr

Wales Rally GB 2015 Gartheiniog-20 by Robert Evans, on Flickr

Wales Rally GB 2015 Gartheiniog-26 by Robert Evans, on Flickr

Wales Rally GB 2015 Gartheiniog-32 by Robert Evans, on Flickr

Wales Rally GB 2015 Gartheiniog-39 by Robert Evans, on Flickr

Last edited:
Brilliant photos number 2, 6 and 11 are my favourites. I just read the events in October next year so perhaps the weather will be better.

Wow I love 6,9-14 - looks like you found a great spot and the pics really show the action :)

How did you know where to go - I so want to go next year!

Great shots them!! Like inked through the album and it looked very wet!! Might sort myself out on time and go next year

Some good stuff here, that Fabia shot is lush, love the greens on the left. The Lefebvre shot is another smasher.
Not keen on the focus of 5, but otherwise you've done a great job in challenging situations.

Wow I love 6,9-14 - looks like you found a great spot and the pics really show the action :)

How did you know where to go - I so want to go next year!

Thanks Gobind, I used to live fairly local and knew the area well enough. If you go, good walking boots or wellys are essential!

#14 is superb. The pick of the bunch imo.

Thanks David :)

Great shots them!! Like inked through the album and it looked very wet!! Might sort myself out on time and go next year

Thanks Andy, I highly recommend getting up there! I was amazed at how many foreign people we met around the stage who had traveled from all over Europe to come and watch. Just make sure you waterproof yourself well!

Some good stuff here, that Fabia shot is lush, love the greens on the left. The Lefebvre shot is another smasher.
Not keen on the focus of 5, but otherwise you've done a great job in challenging situations.

Thanks Matty, I was just playing with #5, thought I'd try something a bit more arty :LOL:

Very dynamic set …and good renditions!

A great set and looks like a wet, but very good day.

Last one for me though (#14) - real sense of the rally... :)

Very dynamic set …and good renditions!

A great set and looks like a wet, but very good day.

Last one for me though (#14) - real sense of the rally... :)

A lovely set and well deserved to endure those conditions ;)

Thank you all :) It was the first time I have shot Motorsport in a forest and the first time ive ever taken my camera out in the rain! I bought an Op Tech rain cover for the event and for the money I can't complain at all. It kept my camera nicely protected from the elements. £4 for two of them :)

Thank you all :) It was the first time I have shot Motorsport in a forest and the first time ive ever taken my camera out in the rain! I bought an Op Tech rain cover for the event and for the money I can't complain at all. It kept my camera nicely protected from the elements. £4 for two of them :)
That's good to hear, something I keep meaning to get and put in my camera bag just in case, even though my gear is pro spec now and supposedly ok for out in rain I can't bring myself to test and find out haha

That's good to hear, something I keep meaning to get and put in my camera bag just in case, even though my gear is pro spec now and supposedly ok for out in rain I can't bring myself to test and find out haha

I was exactly the same! For the sake of £4 it was a no brainer! We were sat near official event photographers who had just a neoprene sleeve over the lens. I don't know if I'd trust that!

I was exactly the same! For the sake of £4 it was a no brainer! We were sat near official event photographers who had just a neoprene sleeve over the lens. I don't know if I'd trust that!
Those neoprene sleeves were more probably to protect against those flying stones and debris haha

"Stunning" set of shots Rob, these are very powerful images. Great Stuff.(y)

George.

Nice work Rob, it makes it all worth it when you can come away from a rainy day with shots like these, the last two are my faves.

Thanks Paul, it was a first shooting in such harsh weather conditions and yes, getting a bunch of images I was happy with was a great sigh of relief after sitting out in those weather conditions for so long! Luckily the camera gear survived too :D

Thanks Paul, it was a first shooting in such harsh weather conditions and yes, getting a bunch of images I was happy with was a great sigh of relief after sitting out in those weather conditions for so long! Luckily the camera gear survived too :D
I know how you felt, I cover Karting events and sometimes think 'WTF am I doing out here in the rain with this gear!'

The photo of the wet needles in focus is a genuinely original shot, I like that the most. The others are far from shabby of course.

Thank you guys. I'm humbled by all the comments people have made :) I've been craving getting back out and shooting some more rally stuff too. Anyone have any advice on how I could find some events local to me (Crewe)?

Many Thanks again :D

Back