Wales Rally GB 2015

Name
Matty
Edit My Images
No
Broke my WRC cherry on the gravel stages of Wales. A really good mission down there with @minnnt - driving through the night, to arrive with a couple of hours to walk the stage in the dark sussing out a few shots.
Got to say, the stages in Wales are absolutely fantastic, well manicured for the WRC, but with great views and from a drivers perspective. Conditions were absolutely horrendous, and made for a real test for our kit, but offered up some interesting photo opportunities.
I'd not shot any motorsport in a good few months, and this was the first gravel/forest event for my 5dmk3, so go easy on me!!

1) When the first car of the day is a Polo WRC and its still dark at ISO3200, it's a baptism of fire to get a shot away.
23058663625_d7a14b5f93_h.jpg

2) One of my usual slow pan efforts
23030861316_f8a0f26c70_h.jpg

3) The Mitsubishi Mirage R5 being driven very hard
22640018947_2da69117b2_h.jpg

4) Trying hard to work a Silver Birch into the shot.
23044098242_412f40cc80_h.jpg

5) Trees and a car
23058962875_ef7c57a414_h.jpg

6) The Polo WRC looks incredible and the handling seemed streets ahead of its rivals. Easy to see why they're dominating.
23045467062_cae4db26b5_h.jpg

7) Great to see Meeke driving so well. He looked on it all day long
23070275641_99c7388138_h.jpg

8) Another Polo - Sorry
23059294095_571bfaf2f3_h.jpg

Thanks for looking, the full set is available to view on my flickr https://flic.kr/s/aHskoeUev1

Last edited:
"Excellent" set of images Matty, all showing some very good technique. Although I'm liking them all very much the first (B&W) shot would be my fav'.(y)

George.

Love that last shot!!

Thanks Adam, Once I saw the rain, I knew this was the shot I wanted from the day.

Love when the WRC comes to GB, always some amazing photography coming through the motorsport section every year.

Great set, #1 and #8 for me (y)

Thanks Brian, its a great event, and the step up in performance from the UK rallying scene makes for some interesting shots, with lovely machinery and incredibly well driven kit

"Excellent" set of images Matty, all showing some very good technique. Although I'm liking them all very much the first (B&W) shot would be my fav'.(y)

George.

Cheers George, I wasn't sure about the B/W conversion, but feedback suggests it may work ok. Thanks very much for your comments!!!

Fantastic set, the mood in number one is great and I love the action captured in number 8.
This may be something I'll look into getting to next year.

Fantastic set, the mood in number one is great and I love the action captured in number 8.
This may be something I'll look into getting to next year.

Thanks Martin. It's definitely an event worth getting to. I made the trip from North Yorkshire, which was a ballache, but worth every minute. The pricing is good value, and the stages are incredible. I'll certainly be heading down next year.
Thanks for the comment

All really good but love the 2nd one it's a really nice effect :) and that last one also stands out from the crowd for me too

Hey great collection of shots 6 and 8 for me but they all catch the excitement and movement in them.

Number 4 and 5 are top of my list from an awesome set. I set out with something like number 5 in mind but failed drastically to get anything useable. Glad you managed with a cracking attempt :)

My favorite WRC Wales set I've seen here! Well done!

Thanks Reinis, the weather was against us all day, but those stages are great to shoot. Were you covering it?

Number 8 for me, closely followed by number 3 :)

Thanks Andy, I'm quite happy with number 8 too

Number 8 is stunning :)

Thanks Gobind - it was the shot I set out to get really. Glad it kinda worked

All really good but love the 2nd one it's a really nice effect :) and that last one also stands out from the crowd for me too

Cheers Adam. I do like a slow pan, it's nice to see how you can throw a bit of colour into a shot

Hey great collection of shots 6 and 8 for me but they all catch the excitement and movement in them.

Thanks very much Carl, that's what I set out to show!

Number 4 and 5 are top of my list from an awesome set. I set out with something like number 5 in mind but failed drastically to get anything useable. Glad you managed with a cracking attempt :)

Cheers Rob, I was glad to come away with anything, considering the weather,

Sadly not buddy, it was 4 WRCs for me this year and I am kinda glad I didn't get to this, weather looked unreal, but made good for pics :)

Lovely shots. Was the last few shots (puddle shots) on the Gartheiniog stage? pretty sure I stood in exactly the same spot on the saturday :)

Some very nice shots Matty, I know how tough Gartheiniog was on Saturday so you've done particularly well. Knowing this stage like the back of my hand though, you're a braver man than I standing there for #8.

Superb set,all great shots (y) but 1 & 2 are my pick of the bunch :)

Sadly not buddy, it was 4 WRCs for me this year and I am kinda glad I didn't get to this, weather looked unreal, but made good for pics :)

It was a challenge for sure, I'd love to think I could get to one of the European rounds next year on gravel. I've done the Monte before, but I much prefer shooting on the loose.

Lovely shots. Was the last few shots (puddle shots) on the Gartheiniog stage? pretty sure I stood in exactly the same spot on the saturday :)

Hi Mark, yes we were at Gartheiniog, there were a few good spots with standing water, especially on the second run when the rain had stepped up in intensity.

Some very nice shots Matty, I know how tough Gartheiniog was on Saturday so you've done particularly well. Knowing this stage like the back of my hand though, you're a braver man than I standing there for #8.

Thanks Rhod, it was the harshest test for both myself, and the weather sealing of the 5d3. There are a lot of great spots to shoot on that stage for sure, Ill definitely be back. I was halfway up a tree for 8, but didn't stop there for long. I wasn't in the trajectory of the car, but after the first two, i retreated to the inside of the bend.

Brilliant last shot. But none the less a very good set

Thank you very much Andrew, quite pleased with the last shot. Nice to get some interesting conditions (in hindsight)

Complete idiot if you ask me...

I took the spot with an escape route at least

Superb set,all great shots (y) but 1 & 2 are my pick of the bunch :)

Thanks Phil, glad that you're liking 2, as its a favourite of mine, I like the light spill from the headlights, which has resulted in some interesting motion blur effect. Thanks very much

Hi Mark, yes we were at Gartheiniog, there were a few good spots with standing water, especially on the second run when the rain had stepped up in intensity.

Was this on the saturday? If so, you may have been the guy I said hello too. Two guys, one wearing a green parker coat.

Was this on the saturday? If so, you may have been the guy I said hello too. Two guys, one wearing a green parker coat.

I was the guy in the green, but ended up the colour of Gartheiniog mud quite quickly. @minnnt was the ginger fella looking like a damp gnome. Where about did we see you then? Its all a blur to me after a sleepless night on Friday on the road, and i'd been on stage since 4am, so I was seeing dancing hyundais fluttering around the stages by lunch!!

Great Set

Much appreciated. Its always an adventure to explore some new stages, and i hope i did Gartheiniog justice

i didn't go this year, but i wish i had by the looks of those shots, lots of puddles to splash through

I was the guy in the green, but ended up the colour of Gartheiniog mud quite quickly. @minnnt was the ginger fella looking like a damp gnome. Where about did we see you then? Its all a blur to me after a sleepless night on Friday on the road, and i'd been on stage since 4am, so I was seeing dancing hyundais fluttering around the stages by lunch!!

Ah. Not sure If you would have remembered me, I'm the guy that came running past in the orange jacket that said "nice weather for a duck" haha. It was on the stone area, on the long straight after the water splash corner :)

Brilliant set. Can't believe it was your first WRC. Hard to pick a fav but love movement in #6.

Ah. Not sure If you would have remembered me, I'm the guy that came running past in the orange jacket that said "nice weather for a duck" haha. It was on the stone area, on the long straight after the water splash corner :)

Haha, yeah I do mate! It was that recess with what seemed like the smallest amount of shelter from the rain. It seemed by the end it was almost funny how bad it got!!

Brilliant set. Can't believe it was your first WRC. Hard to pick a fav but love movement in #6.

Cheers buddy. It's much easier to make a good rally shot with such distinctive liveries and cars really driven on the limit. It won't be my last, for sure!

Great shots. I love the one's of the Polo. Think you captured the action really well!

I love that last one! I'm curious about the first one which is missing! Nice work!

Not sure what happened to the first shot Mark, I think perhaps I swapped it out on flickr Should be showing below
]
WRC2015-32 by Matt White, on Flickr

great work , 8 for me :clap:

Much appreciated Steve - Thank you very much

Great shots. I love the one's of the Polo. Think you captured the action really well!

Thank you very much. I was just glad to come away with something, the conditions were so challenging!

Back