Wales Rally GB - Gartheiniog

Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
This seems to have been quite a popular event this year with TP toggers. @MattyW and I set off from my house just after 12am so we got there is plenty of time. We arrived just before 4am and i was amazed how many people were already there! We had a wander around quite a lot of the stage before they started running to pick out some good compositions and sections which we thought would create the best shots. Not sure i have done Matts planning justice with my shots, so C&C is welcome!

#1 - These sounded awesome. Seeing the top boys really makes you appreciate their skill level and car control.

Wales RallyGB - 2015
by David Raynham, on Flickr

#2 - 1/30 pan

Easing her in

#3 - Fez

Wales RallyGB - 2015

#4 - Same corner as #1, just stood on the banking above. I'm on the WRC highlight show balancing on the edge. :D

Hyundai i20 WRC Wales RallyGB 2015

#5 - Citroen DS3 making its way through the stage. The weather was diabolical tbh but it kinda made the stage. The hanging mist and low cloud added a little atmosphere.

Citroen DS3 - Wales RallyGB - 2015

#6 - Rocky Road

Get your rocks off!

Wales RallyGB - 2015

#8 - No rally is complete without the iconic Mk2

Wales RallyGB - 2015

Thanks for looking!
David.

Great selection, of images there :)

I really love this set and it has inspired me to seek similar outings. I see you took most of them with the 85 1.8, how did it compare to the 24-70 for this particular shoot?

I cant pick, I like them all. All sharp and well processed. I really like the B&W something I've haven't thought of trying.

I cant pick, I like them all. All sharp and well processed. I really like the B&W something I've haven't thought of trying.

Thanks Adam. The B&W was just a trial but i felt it really suited the shot so went with it. :)

Brilliant images, love #5 the Citreon DS.

Cheers Andrew. I do like a wide shot or two. Gives a real sense of the surroundings and their vastness.

Some great action shots :plus1:

Thanks James. :)

Great set, hard to pick a favourite but #6 edging it for me I think!

Hi Brian. Thanks. Number 6 does seem to have gone down pretty well i must admit. (y)

Great set of images..like them all.

Cheers Paul :)

Impressive set David...love the grittiness of the shots #1 and #8 especially love but all are stunning......Looks amazing fun too!

Brilliant set David, easily my favourite of the even that I've seen posted so far. How did you end up with an 8 mile walk back to the car? That sounds like the last thing I would have wanted after hours sitting in the rain :LOL:

Stunning work, not that I'd expect any less from you. I had the entire weekend off to go, but I was not up for putting myself or the Fuji through that amount of wind and rain, so I stayed home and watched it on TV.

Brilliant set David, easily my favourite of the even that I've seen posted so far. How did you end up with an 8 mile walk back to the car? That sounds like the last thing I would have wanted after hours sitting in the rain :LOL:

Lets just say we took the scenic way back... Thanks for the comments, means a lot.

Stunning work, not that I'd expect any less from you. I had the entire weekend off to go, but I was not up for putting myself or the Fuji through that amount of wind and rain, so I stayed home and watched it on TV.

Not sure about that mate, I'm more than capable of producing some right tosh.

The Fooj would have been sound, mine went through similar stuff on a few occasions. Just your own weather sealing that you need to worry about. :D

Absolutely cracking set of shots, some real great action shots and great captures :)

Need to get back there again as it's a few years since I went...

Great set there David and didn't even notice the DS3 I was just admiring the view haha

Absolutely cracking set of shots, some real great action shots and great captures :)

Need to get back there again as it's a few years since I went...

Thanks Andy. I tried my best to get some action into them but now I'm back home I'm kicking myself for not trying a few other shots. I guess I'll just have to go back next year... :D

Great set there David and didn't even notice the DS3 I was just admiring the view haha

Thanks Adam. The views were fab. Shame the light didn't help us out a little. It would have made the autumnal colours really pop!

The planned earlier date next year may offer up some better weather.

Number 6 for me! Rocky Road.
It would make an awesome big print.

Thanks mate. I doubt the missus would think much to me hanging a dirty great big pic of a rally car in prime position above the fireplace. She might though. :D

Sounds like plan and as good an excuse if ever one was needed. :D

All 3 days though just to make sure i got the shots i wanted. :whistle:

I help with a disability kayak / sailing day every year at Lyn Clywedog and notice Friday's stage was in the forest around it :) and just love the area and scenery

I went armed with a 70-200 on a crop sensor body. It was a bit too long in places but in the end it really made me have to move around to get a variation of images. I didn't have the right focal length to really try any panning shots. May be a good enough excuse to invest in a 24-70 ;)

I didn't have a long lens so paired an 85mm f1.8 prime to a crop body and the 24-70mm f2.8 on a FF. This gave me a half decent setup although it would have been nicer to have a little more length... As always. :LOL:

You have got some fantastic images there David. I love the ones with the stones and mud being thrown up. Looks like it was a long day if you left at midday, but it does look like you made the most of it.

Back