Walk away

Name
Toni
Edit My Images
No
So we got back from Israel about 10 days ago with 2500 pictures between 2 of us. I culled that down to about 1000 and have done basic processing on all of those, and I'm now sorting through the general mess to find the gems. There are several themes that seem to have come through, and one that I saw frequently was the classical outline of women in Islamic dress under archways, usually walking away from me.

This was on the temple mount, probably north of the dome of the rock, and I saw her walking toward the arch, so waited until she was in position before taking the shot.

Walk away-1308 by Toni Ertl, on Flickr

Later the same day we were in Bethlehem. These 2 walked past us and down a cloister, one especially very aware of the group of tourists watching, looking back and smiling, while the other was more serious, possibly telling her friend off.

Walk away-1500 by Toni Ertl, on Flickr

And finally, the classic shape again. The street had areas of light and shade, and in a shady section she almost disappeared. I waited until she was just on the line of light & shade so that she stood out from the background, and it was a happy accident that the arch above lead down to her as she walked below.

Walk away-2206 by Toni Ertl, on Flickr

C&C welcome.

All three are nice but the third was the harder
light situation and you pulled it out very well.

…just want to see more… :)

no 1 shows the interesting detail of the dome on the rock esplanade
which is the one i like best
the lone person isnt detracting too much
when you are in jerusalem...the light is the light..take it or miss it
cheers
geof

bethlehem, being an arab town has christmas lights all year round..but not lit
and rows of shops selling rubber dollies...iirc
the shot there is i guess the shared greek and catholic church...
we had an upifting experience one christmas in the grotto...with some germans
!!

Last edited:
no 1 shows the interesting detail of the dome on the rock esplanade
which is the one i like best
the lone person isnt detracting too much
when you are in jerusalem...the light is the light..take it or miss it
cheers
geof

bethlehem, being an arab town has christmas lights all year round..but not lit
and rows of shops selling rubber dollies...iirc
the shot there is i guess the shared greek and catholic church...
we had an upifting experience one christmas in the grotto...with some germans
!!

Thanks Geof. You sound like a man who knows his way around.

Regarding lights, I understand the Christians have them first for Christmas, then the Jews for Hannukah, finally the Muslims for Ramadan. Purchase of gifts for families is also a part of the Ramadan celebrations.

Yes, the church there is the shared CotHN.

Last edited:
Thanks Geof. You sound like a man who knows his way around.

Regarding lights, I understand the Christians have them first for Christmas, then the Jews for Hannukah, finally the Muslims for Ramadan. Purchase of gifts for families is also a part of the Ramadan celebrations.

Yes, the church there is the shared CotHN.

i didnt know they shared them...GOOD!!...light is light the purpose should always be to illuminate..which is what most people want..to push away darkness
nazareth i though was a more interesting area..at one time one could access rachel's tomb and nearby the herodium...not all christian stuff
we visited the house of the blind there and had our first taste of tear gas from the repercussions of a street vendor being shot for showing a knive to an isreali soldier
it was sore
our first visit co-incided with the massacre at hebron 1994..conversely enough carried out by a far right jew who killed a lot of muslim worshippers at abrahams tomb
not far off though northwards is the ngev desert and the tree which deposits sap on the ground which crystallises and can be eaten for energy
the tree is known in hebrew as man'h...and the aromatic bushes which in great heat burst into flame..
all in the bible

Back