Walking wasp

GardenersHelper

In Memoriam
Name
Nick
Edit My Images
Yes
#8/14 are my particular favs but this is a fantastic set and I do wonder what you are doing different if anything in the last 6 months... been away far too long.

#8/14 are my particular favs but this is a fantastic set and I do wonder what you are doing different if anything in the last 6 months... been away far too long.

Thanks Bryn. Good to see you back again.

One of my FZ200's died in the summer. After much indecision I decided to get an FZ330. That may seem like a pretty silly idea given that I could have got another (new) FZ200 much cheaper, and the FZ200 and FZ330 have, as far as anyone can tell, the same sensor and lens. But my success rate seems to have improved with the FZ330 (although I haven't been counting, so just an impression and might be wishful thinking). But the FZ330 auto-focusing is definitely faster, which may be making main difference for my success rate, but there are a number of other ways in which (for my purposes) the FZ330 is better/lets me respond faster.

The other change is in my post processing. As part of a long series of threads over at DPReview I ended up using Silkypix. I'm finding that for invertebrates I can generally get results that I like best by using a processing "pipeline". First DXO Optics Pro, producing a DNG file that I process in Silkypix producing a TIFF file that I then process in Lightroom. And when the need arises I use Nik Dfine to selectively denoise backgrounds.

The DXO and Silkypix stages are generally (always with DXO, and usually with Silkypix, for invertebrates) a matter of applying presets, with image-specific, hand-crafted editing being done in Lightroom.

At the moment I'm experimenting with using Panasonic's "Post-focus" to produce 4K video files created with the camera racking from front to back which can then be fed into Helicon Focus to produce stacks. It seems to work nicely for flowers etc, if the images in this post turn out to be typical of what I can get out of the technique. It's not so clearcut with invertebrates. You can get some stuff which looks nice if you don't look too hard, but doesn't stand up to close scrutiny.

4,8 and 14 are my picks Nick, once again you have captured an insect so well, on shot 4 the hairs stand out so well.
All excellent though and a nice find for the cold time of year.

4,8 and 14 are my picks Nick, once again you have captured an insect so well, on shot 4 the hairs stand out so well.
All excellent though and a nice find for the cold time of year.

Thanks Graham. I was lucky to find the wasp and even more lucky that it (I think it is the same one) stuck around for several days (not so lucky for the wasp I think - it was very cold for it to be out in the open for so long). It was fortunate for me because I was testing a stacking technique and wanted insects to work with. Ultimately it didn't work out satisfactory, but that wasp being around for so long was incredibly helpful in letting me test various options and configurations for the stacking captures.

Back