Wareham Quay Sunrise

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
Yes
Currently in Dorset for a couple of weeks R&R - not sure that the wife sees 4am starts as R&R, but it works for me :)

We have been mainly scouting round for wild garlic and bluebells, but after close to 50 miles walked I am still to find anything interesting. I can only put it down to the lack of rain in the last month or so.

Anyway - on one of the 4am trips out I saw mist in the fields so diverted to Wareham Quay to see if I could drop on a shot or 2.

It turned out to be a good decision :)

The shot is actually a blend of 2 images - the seagulls were taken about a minute after the main image but at a F4.5, 1250 ISO and 1/160 shutter to try and freeze them. The camera / tripod was in the exact same position. Just trying something different really.

Edit: Seagull reflection added following comments below :)

River Frome Sunrise by Dave Semmens, on Flickr

Dave.

Last edited:
Just going to add here as well - this was my first time using my new Tamron 28-200 lens. I didn't fully know what to expect as it is a lot cheaper than the Sony GM lenses I normally use but WOW - it is superb.

So light and flexible with such a great zoom range (I wish it was 24 - 200 but we can't have everything :) )

After pixel peeping the images from my A7R4 I am blown away.

Dave.

Just going to add here as well - this was my first time using my new Tamron 28-200 lens. I didn't fully know what to expect as it is a lot cheaper than the Sony GM lenses I normally use but WOW - it is superb.

So light and flexible with such a great zoom range (I wish it was 24 - 200 but we can't have everything :) )

After pixel peeping the images from my A7R4 I am blown away.

Dave.

The 24-105G is still a tad better in corners on A7RIV but on my A7C I can't tell the difference.

But all in all in tamron is such a great lens!

The 24-105G is still a tad better in corners on A7RIV but on my A7C I can't tell the difference.

But all in all in tamron is such a great lens!
It has meant I can lighten my kit down to the 16-35 F2.8 and the Tamron. And so much more compact / light compared to carrying a 24-70GM and 70-200 F4.

I have just been looking through some images from the Wareham shoot and the colours / contrast and sharpness is as good as I will ever need :)

Lovely image that.

And, The woods opposite Stourhead are in full bloom of Bluebells right now, I was there a couple of days ago. It's about an hour from Wareham ( as Wareham is about an hour from me, and Stourhead is just up the road).

Lovely image that.

And, The woods opposite Stourhead are in full bloom of Bluebells right now, I was there a couple of days ago. It's about an hour from Wareham ( as Wareham is about an hour from me, and Stourhead is just up the road).

Brilliant - thanks Steve. Will wait until after the weekend and nip over for a look :)

Brilliant - thanks Steve. Will wait until after the weekend and nip over for a look :)

If you drive down the road past the Spread Eagle Inn and the church, the road will take you past the main lake to a smaller lake (on your right). The Bluebells are in the woods opposite, to your left. There is usually space for a couple of cars to park on the right, if not, leave the car in the village and walk down.

It has meant I can lighten my kit down to the 16-35 F2.8 and the Tamron. And so much more compact / light compared to carrying a 24-70GM and 70-200 F4.

I have just been looking through some images from the Wareham shoot and the colours / contrast and sharpness is as good as I will ever need :)

even though I don't have side by side comparison, reading the reviews and judging from some old images the Tamron actually seems wee bit sharper than 70-200/4.

I even sold my 16-35GM and have gone with Tamron 17-28mm/2.8.
My travel/hiking kit is A7C, 17-28mm, 28-200mm and a samyang 45mm/1.8. Weighs just ~1.7kg for a nice FF setup (of under 2KG if you want to carry A7RIV).
In comparison I used to have 16-35GM, 24-105G, Tamron 70-180mm/2.8.
I still have my A7RIV but its mostly used with primes (14/35/85) or the 200-600mm.

Last edited:
"Cracking" shot Dave, love everything about it.

If you drive down the road past the Spread Eagle Inn and the church, the road will take you past the main lake to a smaller lake (on your right). The Bluebells are in the woods opposite, to your left. There is usually space for a couple of cars to park on the right, if not, leave the car in the village and walk down.
Excellent - thanks Steve.

I agree - it is a great image. For me the birds add some "joie de vivre" but I would be a little worried about the lack of a reflection (if there was one). It would work without them anyway.
Thanks Jerry - I am going to look into flipping the image and just adding a faint reflection when I get some time to have a play around :)

Back