Warnham Nature Reserve in Horsham at risk of major housing impact.

Edit My Images
No
Hi All

I have been to Warnham LNR a number of times and as a non Horsham resident am kind of jealous that they have such a significantly important IMO and great reserve that is an amenity to both the town and the wider need to support nature.

So, here is the Warnham LNR page about it https://www.warnhamnaturereservefriends.org.uk/threat/

Plus though it seems I cannot embed it in this post I do have the pdf file I was sent and AFAIK and was suggested by the folk that sent it even if you are a non resident of Horsham there are grounds to write an objection etc.

Hope that is of interest to all folks looking out for nature ;)

PS @Gremlin I surmise you may have heard about this so any more local knowledge do chime in?

PS here is the pdf saved as text

The Friends of WARNHAM LOCAL NATURE RESERVE Registered charity (No. 1171924)
warnhamnaturereservefriends.org.uk
Keep Rookwood Green - Have your say!

WarnhamNatureReserve A264 A24 Warnham Broadbridge Heath HorshamPark

Horsham District Council
propose to build 1,100
high density dwellings in
5 storey blocks on
Rookwood golf course
next to Warnham Nature
Reserve

If this substantial development is approved, it will have a significant impact on visitors to the Reserve and the
wildlife that calls it home. Did you know that Warnham Reserve is one of the top 3 sites in Sussex for wildlife
diversity? Noise pollution, light pollution, cats killing wildlife and loss of connectivity with the Sussex countryside
will destroy this jewel in Horsham’s crown.

Concreting Rookwood diminishes the amount of public green space for the people of Horsham. The council is
proposing unprecedented increases in houses - the amount of green space should be increased not decreased!

We think the council should “Keep Rookwood Green” by expanding the Nature Reserve to include the northern
Rookwood land adjacent to the Reserve. This will enable further visitor experiences and wildlife habitats to be
created and protect the natural corridors that are the Reserve’s wildlife arteries. The southern land can be
changed into high quality recreational space, open to all, to support Horsham’s growing population.

On the next page we show how you can respond to this proposal along with some of our concerns that you
may share.

This proposal will go ahead unless we all give our views before the
consultation deadline of 30th March 2020.

Please make your views known today!

What could I say?

The HDC Proposal to build on Rookwood

• Choice of extremely high-density housing at 58 dwellings per hectare
• Intention to build 5 storey high buildings
• Creation of a road down the side of the Walnut Tree plantation completely isolating it from other green
areas of the Reserve.

Green space

• The Horsham population has increased significantly over the last 10 years and this is set to continue as
over 1,000 new homes are planned every year for the foreseeable future. Horsham is woefully short of
green space and this proposal makes things worse.
• Keep Rookwood Green by expanding the Reserve to the west and developing Rookwood as a first-class
green recreation space for the people of Horsham.

Value of the Reserve

• As a haven of quiet and peace in an ever increasingly fast paced and noisy world.
• Opportunity for both adults and children to engage with nature. Recognised by naturalists far and wide!
• One of the top nature reserves in Sussex
• Throughout the seasons, lets visitors get close and learn first-hand about the wildlife.
• Activity days add value to Horsham

Impact on and increased risk for the Reserve

• Cat predation on wildlife. 1,100 homes will bring about 200 cats based on UK average ownership
• Light pollution disturbing bats, moths, deer, badgers and other creatures that are active at night
• Noise pollution at all hours disturbing wildlife
• Wildlife corridors blocked preventing movement of wildlife
• Wildlife isolated in Walnut Tree Plantation
• Significantly reduced roaming space for large mammals such as deer and badgers
• Surface water run-off increasing flood risk for the Reserve and downstream
• Pollution from human activities and road run-off endangering wildlife

How could I say it?

When you write your feedback, we suggest that you pick out the items that are important to you, expand on
them and bring in your own experiences and wishes for the future. We believe your feedback will have more
impact if it is personalised in this way and is more than a simple copy of the list above.

How to feed back online

• Go to www.horsham.gov.uk/planning/local-plan/have-your-say
• Scroll down and click on the green “View and comment on the Draft Local Plan online” button
• Scroll to the end and click the “Respond by making comments on the consultation document”
• Click on “Chapter 6 Housing (Key Questions)” in the left-hand column
• Find the entry for Rookwood (it’s the eighth of the Potential Housing Allocations listed)
• Click on the “Add a Comment” button at the end
• At this point you will be asked to login (if already registered) or to register
• Make your comments and submit them

How to feed back by post

Please send written responses to Strategic Planning, Horsham District Council, Parkside, Chart Way, Horsham,
RH12 1RL.

Not really heard much more, I don't live in Horsham.
The Golf Club is owned and run by the council so if they sell it to developers they will make a fortune
as usual
Have chatted to people more in know when I've been in the hides, two concerns are the flooding it may cause
and disturbing migrating birds
There are a few other sites up for consideration, but you can bet it will eventually happen
more here
https://www.wscountytimes.co.uk/news/horsham-golf-course-could-be-developed-housing-1377680

Seems geared toward locals, with area & postcode limitations in the drop down menu.
The petition link mentioned at the end of the LNR page appears to be non specific as the location of the contributor?

Not really heard much more, I don't live in Horsham.
The Golf Club is owned and run by the council so if they sell it to developers they will make a fortune
as usual
Have chatted to people more in know when I've been in the hides, two concerns are the flooding it may cause
and disturbing migrating birds
There are a few other sites up for consideration, but you can bet it will eventually happen
more here
https://www.wscountytimes.co.uk/news/horsham-golf-course-could-be-developed-housing-1377680
Hi Ingrid

Thanks for posting and sorry if I mis-recalled how close you are to the reserve.

I surmise all that can be hoped is that if/when they build there it will be on a change of plans to reduce the impact???

As someone who was born and raised in Horsham I wish anyone the best of British if you think you can stop HDC doing whatever the hell they want.

They even destroyed a church in the town centre to make way for a Sun Alliance building.

You won't find a poor Horsham councillor.

I doubt it after the absolute dire job they made of the road system around Broadbridge Heath to accommodate
the massive housing estates they are building there !!!
They seem to do as they please regardless of the objections from local residents and businesses
I doubt the businesses that are now virtually isolated will stay there including the very handy Tesco Extra
But not to worry when they leave even more houses can be built

Last edited:
I doubt it after the absolute dire job they made of the road system around Broadbridge Heath to accommodate
the massive hosing estates they are building there !!!
t

Is that like a massive car wash then Ingrid ??? :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

I spent my boyhood not far from Horsham before Crawley was built, and moved back in 1992 but left 4 years ago due the developments threatened(and now happening) North of the A264.

Crawsham is not many years away.

Back