WARNING: Marmite

Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm looking to up my game a bit this year, trying to make my work stand out somehow. Looking to get a little more creative with the camera and my PP style. I fully appreciate that these have the potential to go down like a lead balloon but I have a little corner that i can go and cry into (and often do!) so give me both barrels :D

Donington Historic Festival 2016
by David Raynham, on Flickr

#5 - Nothing really marmitey about this one. It was originally colour but @T_J_G suggested i try it in mono and i must admit, it does seem to work rather well.

Anyway, I'll get me coat... :coat:

I love them all mate, particularly 1 and 5. Carry on doing what you're doing!

Liking #4 - think the mono and processing works for it and I like the shot :)

Look great. Have you come across"Emotive Image" Motorsport photos on Facebook? He has a dark, subdued style that you might like.

They look amazing, number 2 is just brilliant. It would be interesting to see the editing process.

1 and 2 look more like graphic art to me than photos. Both good images but for my taste, not what I would be looking for in a photo. The greyscale is great.

Very interesting mix of styles there, all work in their own way. 1 and 2 more arty as Nicholas said but would be good as a poster or desktop background.

I'd be interested to know what you did to achieve the effect in 3, it captures the dreary day very well

2, 3, and 4 are most interesting
graphic approaches!

They're all good and I think they might appeal to different markets. It makes commercial sense to have plenty negative space for dropping in text if someone wanted to use them for publishing, although that might compromise your vision in making them. For some reason my favourite is the Lotus Cortina one, although I'm not entirely sure why .............. ;)

No need to get your coat, stick with your camera. Nice

I really like #1 and #5 David. Not struck on #2, and I think it's the black space on the left hand side. The tyre marks through the rain in #3 give you some really good lead in lines to the car. Without them, I'm not sure that the car positioning would work.

Really refreshing to see something so different though!

Cheers,

Simon.

1 and 2 don't really hit the spot for me. They stand out but I think they need a bit more detail in the black areas and a little less contrast and saturation.
3,4 and especially 5 are bang on the money for me:)

I love them all mate, particularly 1 and 5. Carry on doing what you're doing!
Thanks Ian.

Thanks Kev.

Liking #4 - think the mono and processing works for it and I like the shot :)

What he said! Not mega sold on 2 and 3, but 1 and 5 are fantastic.
Thanks for your input. (y)

Look great. Have you come across"Emotive Image" Motorsport photos on Facebook? He has a dark, subdued style that you might like.
I've had a look, some great stuff on there! Thanks for the pointer.

They look amazing, number 2 is just brilliant. It would be interesting to see the editing process.
Hi Sam. Pretty much just a curve adjustment and then some selective clarity on the 'shiny' bits.

1 and 2 look more like graphic art to me than photos. Both good images but for my taste, not what I would be looking for in a photo. The greyscale is great.
Thanks.

They look brilliant. Love 2 and 5.
Thanks Andy.

Very interesting mix of styles there, all work in their own way. 1 and 2 more arty as Nicholas said but would be good as a poster or desktop background.

I'd be interested to know what you did to achieve the effect in 3, it captures the dreary day very well
Hi Russ. Thanks for your comments. It was clarity with a touch of dehaze to give it the gritty look then brushed in a bit of negative dehaze to the spray and then just some grads on the bottom to add a little darkness.

2, 3, and 4 are most interesting
graphic approaches!
Thanks Daniel. TC did good eh? ;)

They're all good and I think they might appeal to different markets. It makes commercial sense to have plenty negative space for dropping in text if someone wanted to use them for publishing, although that might compromise your vision in making them. For some reason my favourite is the Lotus Cortina one, although I'm not entirely sure why .............. ;)
Is that because Lotus Cortina's are awesome? :LOL: I love negative space and as you say it's good for advertising... Although i wouldn't have the first clue how to market my stuff.

No need to get your coat, stick with your camera. Nice
Thankyou Jon.

Good set, you have gone all out for something different, both in processing and composition.
Cheers Paul.

I really like #1 and #5 David. Not struck on #2, and I think it's the black space on the left hand side. The tyre marks through the rain in #3 give you some really good lead in lines to the car. Without them, I'm not sure that the car positioning would work.

Really refreshing to see something so different though!

Cheers,

Simon.
Thanks Simon, glad most of them appeal to you. :)

1 and 2 don't really hit the spot for me. They stand out but I think they need a bit more detail in the black areas and a little less contrast and saturation.
3,4 and especially 5 are bang on the money for me:)
Cheers buddy!

I like the photos a lot. There is "emotion" in them and very good point of view.
Ha, thanks. I was certainly emotional when i took them. I was so p***ed off with all the rain. :LOL:

Now those two I really like - the Cortina has a bit of detail in the black areas which really works for me.
Contrary to what I said earlier, the black REALLY works in the second - love that shot :)

Now those two I really like - the Cortina has a bit of detail in the black areas which really works for me.
Contrary to what I said earlier, the black REALLY works in the second - love that shot :)

:plus1:

Overall, a nice set of images.

Though I've never been keen on shots of half a car, always looks like a missed shot to me.

You missed a trick though, you should have turned them ALL black and white and just colour popped the wheels. :p

Awesome stuff dude. :)

I particularly like 2, 3, &4- they are very artistic and visually effective interpretations (and would indeed make great wall posters, as suggested above). High class inventive use of the modern photographic medium IMO.

number 1 is awesome.. number 2 would be just as awesome but i dont like the half car in the foreground.

fwiw i think its a good move doing something very different. Its a flooded market out there so no point in doing the same as everyone ele.

Certainly spectacular photos/images.

Love the old Cortina..............

There you have it with both barrels......................

Mj:):):):):olympus:

Love 1 & 3, although personally, 3 could be very slightly more space between the car and the edge of the image (just imagine if you wanted to frame it on the wall)!

Well, I'd certainly come and sit in the corner with you.
Great to see a refreshing perspective to something!

.....and a thumbs up from me too, it just shows what can be achieved at the processing stage, certainly beyond my limited LR skills.

Love them. The most crucial thing is that you appear to have the basics nailed, you're not hiding poor technique with something different.

Keep at it, love seeing something different!

Back