Warwick Castle

Name
Rob
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi
As per my previous posts, I am new to photography and have only just received my first decent camera. Yesterday I went to Warwick castle and took some snaps. I am really pleased with these two shots so I am throwing them out there for your opinions if people would be as kind as to give me some pointers. They aren't of the actual castle, but are of a staircase in the castle and some arrows in a guards tower.

Quiver And Arrows
by Forsyth1987, on Flickr

Down The Stairs We Go
by Forsyth1987, on Flickr

I like them. First has some real nice muted colours and a decent composition. Might just straighten the hanger thing a touch?
Second one has a good, sharp point of focus and I like the composition here as well although a slight crop might improve it a bit.
Coincidentally I was there yesterday as well but mostly got shots of Mike the Knight and my three year old :)

Thanks. I know what you mean about the hanger. I nearly cropped it out the shot myself, but worried about the string then just disappearing out of the frame without the viewer knowing how its hanging. Would this affect the overall photo do you think or am I over thinking this being so new at the game? I didn't even notice it was wonky until i got home as I was just using the viewfinder and not the screen as well but lessons learned and all that.

I have a couple of Mike the knight and the maiden in pink (no idea on her name) but they were more in passing as with not having a kid I couldn't really stop and take photos with them.

I'm fairly sure I very carefully made my way down those stairs a couple of summers back when a friends wedding there...I really do like the stairs photo a lot the soft daylight works really well but I do think I'd warm the colours a little and I mean just a little bring out the warm honey tones of the wood, nothing wrong with the arrows per say IMO I'm just not really attracted to it :(

Matt

I like the stairway shot and as Matt rightly stated it could do with warming up just a tad

Les ;)

:)Thanks to those who have replied. How would I warm up the staircase? I dont havea ny photo editing software apart from what I could find online but if someone can give me some advice on how to do it and what to use (this is a real steep learning curve), I will go away and have a paly and report back

Get your self a nice copy of Lightroom 5 it's a brilliant pie ace of editing software I do all my photos in that. And your canon should off come with a cd that has editing software on it which you can use.

As you have image editing set to yes at the moment i have had a quick edit for you and i have taken a screen shot to show you what i did. if you look at the right hand side of the screen shot image you will see the word temp all i did was to move the slider up to warm up the image. i hope this helps you out and you dont mind my quick edit.

The edit

View attachment 7045

Screenshot 2014-03-03 13.49.30
by pinkbikerbabe 1, on Flickr

Awesome, cheers. It is a huge difference from the original. I am going to have to have a play around with the Canon software tonight and see if I can replicate your results.

You've got a good eye for a picture.
Are you shooting in RAW?
It's a lot of work afterwards but well worth the effort if you've got a few good shots out of a trip.
Shoot in RAW + JPEG, then you've got the best of both worlds and you can come back to the RAW files later when you get a bit more PP experience. One of the programs on the canon cd is a reasonable RAW editor.

Thanks :) but these are admittedly my best ever photos to date. These were shot in RAW. I didnt realise you could shoot in both at the same time. I did this one in GIMP and it looks easy enough to me to play around with so will stick with that for a bit

Back