Wasp on fallen apple

Another excellent set.I have been following your trials of various macro setups and have decided to try a raynox myself.Keep up the good work

Really like the last 2 Nick light is excellent too

Wow look at those shots, that wasp really is sharp and the hairs really stand out, excellent (y)

Thanks for the encouraging comments Keith, Pete, Graham, Mike.

I have been following your trials of various macro setups and have decided to try a raynox myself.

Hope it goes well for you. Which one are you going to try? What camera and lens are you thinking of using it with? As you will probably have seen from my and others' posts in my journey thread, they work better on some setups than others, as illustrated for example by the experiences of Mike @dibbly dobbler and Lee @Lee O'D on page 13 and page 14 of my journey thread.

Nice work Nick - maybe a touch underexposed? Could just be my monitor of course :)

Not sure. I had a lot of trouble with these. The captures were certainly underexposed. Here is the in-raw JPEG of the first of them.

Wasp #1 in-raw JPEG and its histogram
by gardenersassistant, on Flickr

Far too many of my captures are underexposed at the moment. I'm having trouble judging the exposure level from the LCD at capture time (pre- and post-capture). I don't really trust the highlight blinkies as they seem to let me expose up to a level that I subsequently find very difficult or impossible to get looking good in PP. In consequence I have a tendency (now turned into a habit I fear) of under-exposing just to make sure. As it happens, I see I have a record of this as it happened with these wasp captures.

Here is the first capture. It looked overexposed on the LCD, and as the histogram shows it was indeed overexposed. Nothing was blown to white, but with the red and green channels clipping I think the brightest areas took on a yellow hue. I strongly suspect the original colour would not be recoverable in PP.

First wasp capture in-raw JPEG and its histogram

I turned the flash power down. Here is the next capture.

Second wasp capture in-raw JPEG and its histogram

Reviewing it on the LCD I didn't see any blinkies, but I didn't like the look of the very light areas. So I turned down the flash power some more and used that lower power for the rest of the shots. As we can see from this histogram though, that was a mistake. The exposure for the second one looks fine.

As a result of all this underexposure I have more noise issues than need be the case, especially when, as in this case, as I am using a camera that is especially noisy even amongst its small sensor peers.

As to whether these images, as displayed, were bright enough, here are the histograms of the displayed versions.

Wasp as posted histograms

As well as raising the Exposure by almost a stop, I pulled the Shadows up a long way and for some of them pulled down the Highlights and/or raised the Whites as well. Looking at them again, the first three in particular look a bit flat. Looking at these histograms I'm not sure it's the overall brightness that is the issue, but rather I suspect the distribution of brightness. I've had another go at the first three but just got into a mess, so I'm going to leave them like they are, for now at least. But I do think the first three could do with having more "punch".

I think my misinterpretation of the exposure level when looking at the LCD might be because I have all my LCDs turned up to the brightest setting so I can see them better in bright ambient light. I don't know that I want to change that, although I may try, but I think I will turn on the camera histogram for a while and see if that helps.

Looking at them again, the first three in particular look a bit flat. Looking at these histograms I'm not sure it's the overall brightness that is the issue, but rather I suspect the distribution of brightness. ... But I do think the first three could do with having more "punch".

Yes I think you have hit the nail on the head there Nick. This is something I have done myself with all kinds of Photography but especially macro as I am always wary of nasty highlights from the flash - I whack the highlights right down and lift the shadows (which were probably too dark due to trying to minimise flash power) - the result: flat as a pancake!

They are not really underexposed at all - just a bit flat perhaps :)

I think I will turn on the camera histogram for a while and see if that helps.

When working with flash (which is pretty much all the time with the FZ200 and G5 and never with the 70D) I only want to see the histogram when I review a captured image on the LCD. (The pre-capture histogram is meaningless when using flash, especially manually adjusted flash.) That works with the G5, because when you use the display button to cycle through the display options when looking at images on the LCD one of them includes the histogram (overall, and for the three channels). In contrast, if you want the histogram available for image review on the FZ200 you have to have it on during capture, at which point it is not only useless, but positively obstructive. I think I'll just have to start trusting the blinkies more on the FZ200.

For the 70D, using natural light, a capture time histogram might be helpful sometimes. In capture mode the display button cycles through to an option which includes a histogram, which can be set to either overall or separate RGB channels. In review mode there is a display button option that has both an overall and RGB histograms.

I find it immensely frustrating that Canon don't provide a better solution for viewing the histogram when reviewing imaging. As far as I can tell the only option is for a really small thumbnail of the image, next to a very small thumbnail of the histogram along with other information you'd hardly be interested in. Either that, or you just have to have it set to view the full image. Magic Lantern provide a better option with the histogram overlaying the image, but it's not compatible with my current camera model and beside, why should you need to install some third party option to get some functionality that should be part of the core feature of the LCD.

I find it immensely frustrating that Canon don't provide a better solution for viewing the histogram when reviewing imaging. As far as I can tell the only option is for a really small thumbnail of the image, next to a very small thumbnail of the histogram along with other information you'd hardly be interested in.

That's how it is on the 70D. I get the thumbnail in the top left quadrant, and three RGB histograms at the top right and an overall histogram bottom right. It's similar on the G5. In both cases you can't use the whole screen to review the image, with the histogram overlaid, so there are several button presses each time you want to move between seeing the histogram and seeing the image on the whole LCD and being able to zoom in on it.

However, I just found out that with the 70D, if the review screen is set up to show the little thumbnail and the histogram, if I press the zoom in button, which is nicely positioned at the top right on the 70D, I get to see the whole image and can zoom further in, move around etc. In fact, it turns out that when viewing the screen with the thumbnail and histograms, if you do a two-finger stretch on the LCD you go to the image, and can then carry on using stretch and pinch, and one finger slides to move around. It's doable left-handed.

Turns out that the G5 has a somewhat similar arrangement. However, it is so clunky I just turned the touch screen off again. In comparison the 70D is very smooth to use.

Either that, or you just have to have it set to view the full image. Magic Lantern provide a better option with the histogram overlaying the image, but it's not compatible with my current camera model and beside, why should you need to install some third party option to get some functionality that should be part of the core feature of the LCD.

Last time I looked Magic Lantern wasn't available for the 70D, but I see it is now available in beta. I might look into that. (Maybe. Having just discovered the touch options on the 70D I think I'll develop the muscle memory for that first, and then see if I still want to use Magic Lantern.)

Great shots. I'm trying to persuade the wife that I need a Macro lens, maybe it wasn't a good idea to show her hairy wasps. They're her worst nightmare, but I think bugs look amazing close up.

Great shots. I'm trying to persuade the wife that I need a Macro lens, maybe it wasn't a good idea to show her hairy wasps. They're her worst nightmare, but I think bugs look amazing close up.

Thanks. You might want to look at https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/we-need-you-in-draft-want-to-get-into-macro.551944/. A macro lens is one of the options, but there are several others (for example, and FWIW, I don't use a macro lens.) Some of the options are less expensive than a macro lens. (And second hand macro lenses can be quite inexpensive too.) It depends to some extent on what kit you already have.

I wonder if your wife would be more interested in close-ups of flowers?

Thanks. You might want to look at https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/we-need-you-in-draft-want-to-get-into-macro.551944/. A macro lens is one of the options, but there are several others (for example, and FWIW, I don't use a macro lens.) Some of the options are less expensive than a macro lens. (And second hand macro lenses can be quite inexpensive too.) It depends to some extent on what kit you already have.

I wonder if your wife would be more interested in close-ups of flowers?
I tried the link and it came back blank. Yes I know what you mean about different ways to go about Macro. I'm just starting out, going to experiment with the cheap options first. Got a set of extenstion tubes off EBay, had a quick try with my 50mm Prime. Didn't have much success as I'm too shaky, so I'm going to try with a tripod. Getting some great tip off of you guys.

I tried the link and it came back blank.

I must have pasted that wrongly. Let me try again. https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/we-need-you-in-draft-want-to-get-into-macro.551944/

Just tested this link. It works, but was a bit slow to get there - that may just be my PC or internet connection.

Yes I know what you mean about different ways to go about Macro. I'm just starting out, going to experiment with the cheap options first.

Good move.

Got a set of extenstion tubes off EBay, had a quick try with my 50mm Prime. Didn't have much success as I'm too shaky, so I'm going to try with a tripod. Getting some great tip off of you guys.

When you've had another go do post something and show us and tell us how it went, good or bad. Either way, you'll get some help and encouragement.

Nice series Nick, last frame is very good.

Back