Wastwater

I like the overall image.
I think that the perspective is giving the foreground rocks more prominence than they have in real life.
But, it’s still good.

Really like the calm colour tones and the long exposure seems to work here. Nicely exposed too.

I commented about this a couple of weeks ago in another thread about common photography mistakes (or something like that). I am more and more finding myself disliking adding foreground for the sake of a foreground. I'm all for a foreground that leads the eye in etc and provides genuine interest but dont find these rocks do much.

Id personally prefer this image without the rocks and let the reflections of the smooth water make up the foreground.

Still a nice image though.

Ben

It's a nice balanced, calm image, Neil. A little unfortunately for you, rocks in the foreground have become a cliche in the last couple of years, and although this doesn't really detract from the image, it does mean that fewer photographers will be able to say they like it.

I appreciate the photo for what it is, but for me if you’re going to make the water milky soft then the rest of the scene should also have a dreamy softness. In other words, it’s too clear.

Works for me.

Cheers Mick

I like the overall image.
I think that the perspective is giving the foreground rocks more prominence than they have in real life.
But, it’s still good.

Each to their own! I like it!
Really like the calm colour tones and the long exposure seems to work here. Nicely exposed too.

I commented about this a couple of weeks ago in another thread about common photography mistakes (or something like that). I am more and more finding myself disliking adding foreground for the sake of a foreground. I'm all for a foreground that leads the eye in etc and provides genuine interest but dont find these rocks do much.

Id personally prefer this image without the rocks and let the reflections of the smooth water make up the foreground.

Ben

Cheers Ben, as I said above I like it as it is!
It's a nice balanced, calm image, Neil. A little unfortunately for you, rocks in the foreground have become a cliche in the last couple of years, and although this doesn't really detract from the image, it does mean that fewer photographers will be able to say they like it.

Appreciate the comment Tony but to be honest I don't really care to much about peoples personal preferences and don't really get why people would choose to make those types of comments which don't, in my book, equate to constructive criticism!

Thanks!
I like it, foreground rocks and all.

Cheers Vince!
I appreciate the photo for what it is, but for me if you’re going to make the water milky soft then the rest of the scene should also have a dreamy softness. In other words, it’s too clear.

Appreciate you taking the time to comment but your suggestion isn't really for me. I like the image but cheers!

Composition is fine - I'd want the rocks out the way if there were reflections but as there are none these rocks help fill the frame. Foreground isn't my natural way of composing as I prefer the work on the distant view but it's ok here IMHO

Agree on the processing - it's a bit contrasty for me and probably a bit too pushed in terms of blacks and a little too much clarity for me but if the OP likes it great- I just prefer a less severe rendition.

Last edited:

Ben

Just seen this photo again. I'm going to argue with myself over my original comment on the rocks. I actually quite like then in this image. o_O

Back