water drops and drop collisions

Name
Yes
Here are some of my water drop pictures.

I used Arduino to trigger the camera and the flash.

(Click on image for bigger version)

This is a picture of a water drop in mid air. There is a picture of earth behind the drop.

Same thing as above

Earth through water

A red plastic flower seen through water

and some water collision photos

Never heard of that trigger!

Nice one :) I like them. Last ones aren't collisions though, it's the top of the droplets shooting upwards and seperating from the spout :)

Arduino isn't a trigger designed for cameras. Actually It's a microcontroller that you can program to do various things. For excample you can use it as a "brain" for a robot.
I used it as a camera trigger (wrote the code, build a motion sensor out of LED, photoresistor and toilet paper roll. connected the motion sensor, camera and flash to the arduino that controls all of them). I'm planning to add couple more of sensors to the system later (sound and laser) and maybe a LCD screen so it can be used as a standalone system. Now it needs to be connected to a computer with USB wire. The whole setup costed around 40€ so it's a lot cheaper than buying a real camera triggering system :D

Here are pictures of the system:
The motion sensor
Arduino connected to motion sensor
whole thing assembled

and you're right about the last two not being actual collision images :D

[edit] holy ***** AshMashMash.. I just took a look at your images on flickr. Those water collision images are jaw dropping great o_O

Last edited:
Arduino isn't a trigger designed for cameras. Actually It's a microcontroller that you can program to do various things. For excample you can use it as a "brain" for a robot.
I used it as a camera trigger (wrote the code, build a motion sensor out of LED, photoresistor and toilet paper roll. connected the motion sensor, camera and flash to the arduino that controls all of them). I'm planning to add couple more of sensors to the system later (sound and laser) and maybe a LCD screen so it can be used as a standalone system. Now it needs to be connected to a computer with USB wire. The whole setup costed around 40€ so it's a lot cheaper than buying a real camera triggering system :D

Here are pictures of the system:
The motion sensor
Arduino connected to motion sensor
whole thing assembled

and you're right about the last two not being actual collision images :D

[edit] holy ***** AshMashMash.. I just took a look at your images on flickr. Those water collision images are jaw dropping great o_O

I love home made stuff! Specially when it works :LOL: Very cool there, I like it. Too complicated for me, I'm not very electronically minded. I bought a HiViz sensor and made that using their online instructions but that was complicated enough! Also I don't have a solder so the last bit is blue-tacked :| So, all mine are still done manually unfortunately!

So can you set it up to do some nice collisions for us? :D

Thanks RE the comments :)

I actually build the system to take collision images but I'm having trouble at dropping two drops so they would collide. I'm using a pipet to drop the drops so the possibility to get a collision image is pretty low.

I tried yesterday to take some collision images with the system. I took overall 100 pictures and managed to get 4 collision images :D Most of the images had only one drop of water spouting upwards from the water.
Do you happen to have any suggestions on howto drop the drops so they would collide?
[edit] never mind the problem about colliding two drops, I just found your tutorial on howto do that.

anyway here's what I got yesterday:
vesitippatormailua-1.jpg

vesitippatormailua-4.jpg

vesitippatormailua-5.jpg

vesitippatormailua-6.jpg

Last edited:
hey. Great shots.
I am on a mission to do the same. This weekend if i can get everything.
Do you have a component list, and source?
Also could it work with a laser for the light source?
Also did you add the other sensors?

Back