Water + Lime = World Cup Trophy

Name
Adrian
Edit My Images
No
My first attempt at 'plunging' items into water and capturing the shot!

I used a few different fruits - lime, lemon and orange but this was the one that stood out the most. The lime doesn't look pin sharp and I think some of that was my focus but also the surface of the tank kept misting over - next time I'll use warm water !! I realised that to do this well, I would need a bigger tank - the one I have is oh so small!

A couple of people have said that the shape looks like the world cup trophy - I guess it does in a way but you decide!

World Cup Trophy w/ Lime and Water
by Adrian Roebuck, on Flickr

Very effective!
I'd have a go if I had a tank.
Or the patience.
Or some fruit....:LOL:

I like it a lot.

Very effective!
I'd have a go if I had a tank.
Or the patience.
Or some fruit....:LOL:

I like it a lot.

Thanks Ruth

I didn't have a tank or the fruit before and only a little patience but I got there !!! :D

Impressive and yes World Cup was my first thought :)

Great bit of work Adrian, and it definitely has a world cup look about it. "Great Stuff".(y)

George.

Excellent shot Adrian (y) Must be a fast shutter speed, did you use flash? We could do with a tutorial on one of the meets ;):D

.......and yep, definitely looks like the world cup :cool: :)

Thanks all. Certainly worth a go if you've not done it before. It was a massive learning curve but fun too!

Excellent shot Adrian (y) Must be a fast shutter speed, did you use flash? We could do with a tutorial on one of the meets ;):D

.......and yep, definitely looks like the world cup :cool: :)

:D

IIRC shutter speed was around 1/160 or 1/200.

I had a flash front central pointing up and a flash top left pointing down and across. I think they were on half power.
Hardest Thing for me was co-ordinating the dropping of the fruit with the shutter release especially as the tank I used was so small and left me little room for error!

Hardest Thing for me was co-ordinating the dropping of the fruit with the shutter release

That'd be my trouble if I had a go at something similar Adrian. My post above should've read 'or flash'. I was thinking if lighting the area with bright lighting and using a fast shutter speed might work instead of trying to co-ordinate the flash with the splash :D

The speed shutter does not matter here,it is all about the short flash duration from the speedlights. Ideally the shutter speed should be fast enough to kill all the ambient light, but low enough to be able to synch with the flash. Normally around 1/100 - 1/160.
In a dark room you can even set the shutter speed to very long exposure, say 30sec, because the exposure will be controlled by the power of the flash and the aperture only. But you still need to make sure the flash flashes when the fruit hits the water.

That is really impressive

good Job my friend

Last edited:
Back