Water softeners

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
Anyone have one or any experience of them?

We've got really hard water in this area and it's a constant battle keeping things limescale free in the kitchen/bathroom. We're having a new bathroom fitted in August so would like to get one fitted before then if possible.

We want a good one and although we haven't got an unlimited budget we would be prepared to invest in a high end one if the results reflect that.

They look like they should be fairly simple to install for someone with a decent DIY skills or am I missing something?

Thanks in advance

Kinetico are good and require no electrical supply to work. The only problem with them is that they are supplied through Kinetic dealers on a supply and install basis. As an alternative, take a look at Monarch Plumbsoft water softeners as they essentially a Kinetico softener that you can install yourself.

Last edited:
Rather than start another thread thought would ask via this one...

Had a ridiculous quote from Kinetico and Harvey's. Looking at other options like the Monarch and find a local plumber.

Anyone else had a water softener installed recently and can comment on which one to get or tips?

It's mainly for not having limescale and for try and help with Eczema.

Rather than start another thread thought would ask via this one...

Had a ridiculous quote from Kinetico and Harvey's. Looking at other options like the Monarch and find a local plumber.

Anyone else had a water softener installed recently and can comment on which one to get or tips?

It's mainly for not having limescale and for try and help with Eczema.

Monarch are excellent softener. The midi is usually better priced than the smaller mini and will cover up to a large family. Have you also considered that you’ll probably want a separate tap in the kitchen for drinking water? Also they usually take a fair amount of space.

Had a Kinetico for about 15 years. Zero maintenance. I've moved house twice in that time and taken it with me. The first time I got a plumber to replumb the Kinetico for about an hour's labour. The second time (into a rental) there already was a softener so I just swapped it for mine in about 15 mins. Unless there's something complicated about your plumbing setup, a decent plumber will do it in the time it takes him to drink 3 cups of tea.

Works amazingly well and like I say, 15 years on and it hasn't given me a moment's trouble.

BTW if you do get a Kinetico then you don't need to buy their salt. It is designed to run off basically anything so cheap bags of pellet salt from Screwfix work fine for about half the price. It took me nearly 15 years to figure that out........

We had a softener installed by a company called EWT, arranged it all via a quick call and they then send an installer round who plumbs it in. I went for their metered gold model which performs a regen based upon usage rather than timed. Family of 5, we use a 25kg bag every 4-6 weeks.

Think it cost around £705 all in, had to also buy a bag of salt as they don't supply one but worked out all in all quite reasonable.

Also don't fall for the twin cylinder hype, mine is set to regenerate in the early hours and while it's doing this there is no supply of softened water but at that time we don't need any water.

EWT do do a referral scheme where we'd both get £50 off if you decided to go for one, let me know and I can supply my details, ask for your £50 off the install price if you decide to go ahead as that saves faffing around from your point of view.

Back