Waterfall help

Name
Fraser
Edit My Images
No
Some advice please, I was playing about with a small waterfall near me and was wondering is there a general rule of thumb for slowing the shutter speed down as when I try to slow it down more and more im not sure it makes the water look better. not the best photo but just after some pointers please

Attachments

• IMG_5485_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_5485_edited-1.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 28
  • test-copy.jpg
    test-copy.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 28
It all depends on the look you're after. As a general rule, I personally start about 0.6th of a second for waterfalls, as I don't really like when they lose all detail by going longer. That shutter speed is a starting point for me, as it all depends on the flow and general amount of water too.

it all depends on the flow and general amount of water too.
Martin's right, it depends on the flow, volume and speed of the water. And, of course, what overall look you're trying to achieve. My general rule for falls is half a second then zoom in on to flow on back of camera to determine if the shutter speed is desirable. Desirable to me is is enough smearing to convey motion but not too much to lose detail.

It's a bit of a case of experience really. Being able to judge what will give you the look you desire. I also go for a fairly quick (for moving water) speed as I like to keep some detail and don't like things fully smooth.

Actually, to add something else, I normally try to set my shutter speed (especially for taller falls like in the Brecon's) to match the speed of a full fall of water. Does that make sense? Sounds really weird writing that out and reading it back! :)

Thats an interesting thought, lee. Will have to try that, 1/6th of a second is my go to but i tend to go long and short to give me options,

Back