Waterfall in mono

Name
Lynne
Edit My Images
Yes
Crikey ,think this is my 1st post in probably 2 years ....slack I am

Anyhow , I've been after a mono waterfall image for a long while,never seemed to find the perfect location until I visited Scaleber Force .
I normally feel it's a shame to convert waterfall images to mono as generally speaking the surrounds have glorious rich greens & autumnal coloured leaves which I love .

This one however works I think , 2waiting for the perfect location paid off

Cheers all

2018-10-23_08-56-07.jpg

Good to see you posting again Lynne, Yes, this works well as mono with its strong graphical element.

I hate to say it as you’ve gone to the effort and your intention was a mono but losing the lush greens, vibrant yellows and oranges of the autumn seems like a waste.

I find the mono too dark and too high in contrast - I reckon the colour is the one.

Very nice Lynne. I personally love the high contrast mono look, driving the darks to almost black and making the water look like it’s meandering of its own free will.

I hate to say it as you’ve gone to the effort and your intention was a mono but losing the lush greens, vibrant yellows and oranges of the autumn seems like a waste.

I find the mono too dark and too high in contrast - I reckon the colour is the one.

Tbh ,the color didn't work here as deliberately framed to loose the surrounds ,the only greenery was on the wall behind the falls .
But, it was how I envisaged it ,not something I'll do again for a while I expect ....I like color normally (y)

Looks good to me, worth the two year wait :) the light is very good, picking out the cascades nicely.

Is it OK to like both - 'cause I do! But if I had to choose then I'd lean towards the colour one but then again they are not quite both the same are they.

I'd be happy with either image.

I love both of them. I couldn't say I liked one more than the other. The mono is more the type of shot that'd go on my wall, though

The colour one is nice but the mono one has much more of a sense of mystery. For me it leaves lots of scope for my imagination to fill in the surroundings.

Really like the mono version of those two - the colour lacks a bit of life where as the mono has a more creative element to it

Thanks Stuart :)
Curious ...lacks a bit of life ? Not sure I understand quite how to change the shot if I go back at some point . Could you explain a bit more please? Not being funny, I genuinely want to know so I can improve (y)

That mono shot does it for me

I love both of them. I couldn't say I liked one more than the other. The mono is more the type of shot that'd go on my wall, though

The colour one is nice but the mono one has much more of a sense of mystery. For me it leaves lots of scope for my imagination to fill in the surroundings.

Thanks guys , really appreciate your kind comments (y)

Lynne - just my view - the monochrome puts the fall near centre and big in the frame - no dead space - and the brightest bits of the water are beautifully placed. The upper section of the falls has visual continuity with the lower. In the colour image, there is what I call the 'bottom left hand corner problem' except in this case it's the top right hand corner - very little happening/of interest. Doesn't add to the overall composition and is presumably there to allow the bottom right hand bit of fall be shown. So it doesn't work as well for me. But as ever you'll find others with very different views.....

Lynne - just my view - the monochrome puts the fall near centre and big in the frame - no dead space - and the brightest bits of the water are beautifully placed. The upper section of the falls has visual continuity with the lower. In the colour image, there is what I call the 'bottom left hand corner problem' except in this case it's the top right hand corner - very little happening/of interest. Doesn't add to the overall composition and is presumably there to allow the bottom right hand bit of fall be shown. So it doesn't work as well for me. But as ever you'll find others with very different views.....

You see I like the extra negative space in the colour - and more importantly the bottom most small fall in the colour which is absent in the mono - it makes the shot feel more 3 dimensional and adds a lot of depth. The mono seems a bit 1 dimensional and far too "dark" to truly captivate. The colour has a delicacy and depth totally lacking in the mono. Not all pictures need to have masses of contrast to work...

Thanks Stuart :)
Curious ...lacks a bit of life ? Not sure I understand quite how to change the shot if I go back at some point . Could you explain a bit more please? Not being funny, I genuinely want to know so I can improve (y)
Sorry I should have been more clear - compositionally it's lovely it just feels a bit on the flat side, not sure if this is one of those waterfalls that's hemmed in and gets no light but would it benefit from (some) light on the scene, especially on the greens etc? Understand that might not be possible.

I do think there's room there for a slight tweak to bring it up a touch, just with levels etc in the midtones (probably barely noticeable at such low-res though)

Waterfall edit.jpg

As expected, some healthy differences in opinion about composition. Rather than revisit the differences, I'll just say that the ultimate arbiter of what works is you, not anyone else. And a tip - what I like to do when deciding between 2 images is to put them up side-by-side on the screen (looking at one after the other doesn't work for me). Usually this enables me to quickly see which is 'better', ie which I prefer. May not work for you, but worth a try?

Thanks John , I see what you're saying now :)
It's always good to get another perspective ,food for thought when composing in the future (y)

You see I like the extra negative space in the colour - and more importantly the bottom most small fall in the colour which is absent in the mono - it makes the shot feel more 3 dimensional and adds a lot of depth. The mono seems a bit 1 dimensional and far too "dark" to truly captivate. The colour has a delicacy and depth totally lacking in the mono. Not all pictures need to have masses of contrast to work...

I kinda like negative space as well though admittedly it's not something I thought about with this image ....with the color one I liked the almost S curve from top rightish to left the bottom rightist . But I do agree it has a bit more depth & dimensionality Steve .

The mono however was exactly how I envisaged it but always knew it wouldn't be to everyone's taste Dark,contrast almost mysterious .....:)

Sorry I should have been more clear - compositionally it's lovely it just feels a bit on the flat side, not sure if this is one of those waterfalls that's hemmed in and gets no light but would it benefit from (some) light on the scene, especially on the greens etc? Understand that might not be possible.

I do think there's room there for a slight tweak to bring it up a touch, just with levels etc in the midtones (probably barely noticeable at such low-res though)

View attachment 138517

It might get a bit more light at a different time of day or time of year I guess but on this day the light was on the lower sections ( not in this shot). I'll have to revisit I think ,maybe in the early summer .
I'm always a bit cautious with pp, the temptation was to lift everything but then it wouldn't have been how it really was ,if that makes sense ?

Thanks Stuart ,appreciate your comments (y)

As expected, some healthy differences in opinion about composition. Rather than revisit the differences, I'll just say that the ultimate arbiter of what works is you, not anyone else. And a tip - what I like to do when deciding between 2 images is to put them up side-by-side on the screen (looking at one after the other doesn't work for me). Usually this enables me to quickly see which is 'better', ie which I prefer. May not work for you, but worth a try?

Lol....I did that for about an hour & still couldn't pick a fave composition as I liked both for different reasons :LOL:

But you're right , what works for one person won't always work for the next person.....I shoot for me but always good to hear /see others thoughts & interpretations ,cheers John (y)

Love the mono Lynne. If you felt that way in your mind, when you were standing there then it’s how you should perceive it in image imo. I think it’s a wonderful image and far better than the colour version which lacks that wow factor for me. Cant always be colour and good to see it differently at times, and this time I think it really works. Let’s not make it two years until your next one please.

Like the mono better but I also think the comp in the colour would work equally as well in mono with the right treatment. For me the mono has gone a little too contrasty, losing the dark tones completely and also creating a couple of hot spots in the whites.

Back