Watermarks - do they need to be so big and bold?

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
I see so many images that have ginormous watermarks spread across them that really do detract from the image.

I know everyone wants recognition if the photos are used somewhere without permission - and everyone also wants anyone looking at a shot to know who has taken it...

But do they need to be so big and bold? I've seen so many cases recently where the photographer in trying to protect and watermark the image has destroyed the feel of a photograph...

I know you also want something that isn't easily edited out - but there must be a balance?

Do others agree? Watermarks should be clearly visible, showing who the author or studio is, however it shouldn't spoil an image in doing so?

Thing is even a massive watermark wont affect people who will still pinch them and put them on facebook complete with watermark.

But then again those people wont have bought a photo anyway, so I do wonder whether there is any point to watermarking at all!!!

Mine have STOLEN FROM KIPAX.COM big and bright and right accross the middle.. It doesnt effect sales and when they get resized to smaller on facebook I can still clearly see my watermark as can anyone else.. yup lots of "stolen from kipax" pics on facebook...

But its not my portfolio.. its pics for sale from sporting events..

I tried a light watermark.. they resize and you cant see it :(

Oh and I recently got a PM from a nice TP member i dont think I had prevously spoken to... he had been sent one of my pics and was asked if he could remove the watermark for them... sigh... a fiver each for a 7x5 print and there trying to get other people to remove watermarks :(

Back