Waxing Gibbous Moon 81%

Beautiful, Russ!
- Cheers, Dunc - appreciate your comments :)
- I've been trying for some time to stack multiple sub-frames using: PIPP + Autostakkert + Registax - but I cannot make them work for me!! Looks like I'll have to stick with processing single frames for the moment.

Russ

- Cheers, Les - this is the colour version! It is as shot, and not a monochrome conversion - I've never managed to get more colour out of my moon shots so far. :)
Russ
Oh I see. Sorry Russ [emoji20]

Excellent shot. was this on a tripod or hand held? The iso is high, is there a reason? would lowering the iso and speed have any advantages? Lots of questions as this is fascinating. Regards. Gary

Excellent shot. was this on a tripod or hand held? The iso is high, is there a reason? would lowering the iso and speed have any advantages? Lots of questions as this is fascinating. Regards. Gary
- Hi Gary, thank you, and sorry for slow response!
- My setup was as follows: Canon R5 (45 Megapixels, set to CRAW and Manual Exposure) mounted on a low tripod, with Canon 400mm DO F4 ii lens (IS off) lens + 1.4x TC. I set to max aperture (F/5.6).
- Using Canon EOS Utility, I connected an Ipad to the camera via Bluetooth, so I could see an image of the moon on the Ipad and use it to control the focusing and shutter. This worked well for me because the moon was so high and the camera almost vertical I couldn't see the viewfinder!
- I chose 1/800s shutter speed as the moon does move fairly quickly and also I wanted to avoid camera shake as my tripod is not the best.
- The aperture and Shutter Speed now set, I had to work at ISO 1250 - which is not a problem for my R5.
- I took 180 shots, and tried to stack them - Failure!! - so gave up, and I processed my best single shot using Topaz Denoise AI which reduced noise and added some sharpening as a Lightroom plug-in.

Hope this helps

Russ :)

Back