Waxwing in flight with protein snack!

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
If you've had enough of waxwings with berries (my Facebook is full of them just now), how's this for something a bit different?

A fellow tog suggested we go for flight shots this morning, instead of the same old berry shots. There was quite a lot of fly-catching activity today and I was lucky enough to snap this:

17030-1478961947-7803217cde81f18ac9d0d289e214f6cb.jpg

560mm, F5.6, 1/2500s, ISO 500.

Good find John, I love the Waxwings on berries but this is pleasingly different :)

A Great detailed shot John waxwings in flight I have never seen one ?
Thanks Kevin.

There are so many of them about here just now (circa three hundred birds in a few trees up in Elgin today) that it's becomming the norm to see the 'standard shot' of a bird with a berry on every second persons Facebook post. So, we decided to try something different. Not as easy as you might imagine and even at 1/2500s in the sunshine, I was struggling to get a decent shot.

Got far too many like this though:

17032-1478992298-0735403d318e34354e8fed23a5ae84cc.jpg

The flight shot is a superb capture, really very good indeed.

Very nice and unusual shot. Could it be improved by trying to get some detail from the hard shadow?

great take........300 birds and bored with photographing them :LOL: never seen one nor likely down south ;)

Thanks for the comments folks. I'm not sure that the shot merits any further shadow work - it is what it is!

Also, I'd no idea that these guys didn't errupt further south of the border and could have sworn that I saw reports of loads of them in England a few years ago!

I could always put up a shot a day for the next year if you want me to....... :whistle:

Reactions: RKC
this is a stunning flight shot .
Rob.

Excellent pictures John especially number one homing in on his meal. :clap::clap::clap::clap: As with others I have yet to see one.

Back