We may be listening?

LASTOLITE

No longer has 4 inches
Name
Bill
Edit My Images
Yes
I read funnily enough on social media that, social media is listening to us as we talk, a person had been talking about aches and pains after some gardening or something? and when they logged onto their social media account they had adverts to sell them creams, particularly Volterol. I wanted to test is so started talking about it myself although I tried another need in a die grinding machine and within a day or two I had advert for a die grinder. Now I did look on the Machine Mart site about a month ago for the same thing so I cant tell id its that search or my voice? anyone had this happen? are they listening? Intreating and not sure if I agreed to it had it been made clear not sure I would be too happy. What about you?

Yes they are - I've seen it happen on my daughter's phone.

We were talking in my garden one day last summer about my new camera and although at the time she had no interest in photography, within 15 minutes adverts were popping up on her phone about cameras. :eek:

For those with iMacs. I don’t know if other PCs have a camera in the front at the top[. Orwell’s 1984 is truly with us except it’s private companies, fraudsters etc which Orwell maybe hadn’t given consideration to ie. agencies other than government. I can’t see what someone would find interesting looking at a PC user at their computer. Maybe they like looking a different wallpaper patterns ...lol

https://www.intego.com/mac-security-blog/your-macs-camera-can-be-hacked/

I am so glad that my PC has neither microphone or webcam!!!!

Having said that I do have my smartphone.......I wonder if "that" has been listening????

Tracking cookies follow you around the web.
Facebook will pick up your browsing habits and then give you adverts for products you've been looking at elsewhere which is exactly what has happened to the OP.
This has been happening for years so I'm surprised some have only just noticed.

Tracking cookies follow you around the web.
Facebook will pick up your browsing habits and then give you adverts for products you've been looking at elsewhere which is exactly what has happened to the OP.
This has been happening for years so I'm surprised some have only just noticed.

I think, though I may be wrong, the OP knows that perfectly well, but that is not what the thread is about.

I think, though I may be wrong, the OP knows that perfectly well, but that is not what the thread is about.

My point being is this how it's done rather than anyone 'listening'.

My point being is this how it's done rather than anyone 'listening'.

Darren..The Youtube that Tom posted shows that the ads for dog toys have been generated after he spoke about them so,on the face of it, it doesn't look like a coincidence. As Simon basically points out, we're all aware, by now, that in conjunction with cookies a search, be it through Google,Facebook (topics,I assume as I'm not on FB,Twitter,What's App etc) will generate ads and it's why I continually delete history which, on the iMac.later models, doing so will also delete cookies.Bear in mind that it's turned out that voice-activated smart TVs can listen to conversations. I think one company was taken to task about it. I've just Googlerd it
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-31296188

Even worse https://www.telecomtv.com/content/p...anyone-else-can-listen-to-them-as-well-12184/

So, what if they pick up a conversation you're having in your living room about buying a new vacuum cleaner and the company shares that information with VC retailers..at a price,of course ? I have no idea how this could be used to target somone via the web. Smart Tv's need internet connection, I think so maybe that's a route.

Nothing surpises me now. This is the stuff we now know about and, no doubt, there's a lot more we aren't aware of.

Me and my wife were chatting about holidays to Canada and sure enough, the next day, she had push ads for Canada holidays. We hadn't done any searching online previously.

Darren..The Youtube that Tom posted shows that the ads for dog toys have been generated after he spoke about them so,on the face of it, it doesn't look like a coincidence. As Simon basically points out, we're all aware, by now, that in conjunction with cookies a search, be it through Google,Facebook (topics,I assume as I'm not on FB,Twitter,What's App etc) will generate ads and it's why I continually delete history which, on the iMac.later models, doing so will also delete cookies.Bear in mind that it's turned out that voice-activated smart TVs can listen to conversations. I think one company was taken to task about it. I've just Googlerd it
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-31296188

Even worse https://www.telecomtv.com/content/p...anyone-else-can-listen-to-them-as-well-12184/

So, what if they pick up a conversation you're having in your living room about buying a new vacuum cleaner and the company shares that information with VC retailers..at a price,of course ? I have no idea how this could be used to target somone via the web. Smart Tv's need internet connection, I think so maybe that's a route.

Nothing surpises me now. This is the stuff we now know about and, no doubt, there's a lot more we aren't aware of.

I missed the video, I stand corrected.
Upon reflection I do remember something about this happening with smart TVs as you have mentioned.
Another thing that could be doing this is Windows 10, it's been well documented that it also tracks you around the net.
This is a handy application to use if you haven't turned off all the tracking on Windows 10 https://www.safer-networking.org/is-windows-tracking-you-get-spybot-anti-beacon-2-1/

I had plenty of cases despite even 'disabling' all those features. Apparently you only disable it one way, hurting functionality your way, but not the other. The creepiest case of them all was satnav rerouting during funeral home radio ad. Google assistant and voice feature in maps are / were disabled.

Seriously, you have to switch it completely off, leave it in another room or not take it with you if something important is going on around. A quick trick to stop any connections is to shut in a microwave oven - the only good use of that evil thing.

You do realise that tin-foil hats actually act as antennae rather than Faraday cages, don't you?

No matter how daft a claim you make about the internet someone will believe it...

:tumbleweed:

My wife and I use different computers but she gets adds for things I have researched and the other way round.

Back