WEC Silverstone

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
Determined not to be beaten by this circuit I decided to go and watch the WEC (Another series ticked off) on Friday.
Very interesting to note the different rules by various series. Places that were deemed ok to photograph from for the GT were not for the WEC. Plenty of sponsorship hoardings and green meshing to add to the frustration...that said it did force me to look for new opportunities to shoot from.
Having walked around the majority of the circuit and spoken to some very friendly and helpful marshals I came up with the following shots, I hope you like.
PS I will get round to putting names to the teams, unfortunately i couldn't find anyone selling programs and the Silverstone Website spotters guide has conflicting numbers and colour schemes for the cars?

631A8528 by John Jesney, on Flickr
631A7799 by John Jesney, on Flickr
631A7109 copy by John Jesney, on Flickr
631A6642 by John Jesney, on Flickr
631A5642 by John Jesney, on Flickr
631A6423 by John Jesney, on Flickr
631A7034 copy by John Jesney, on Flickr

Really nice shots considering how hard Silverstone is to shoot at the best of times.

I like number 3. I tried all weekend to get an in focus shot of those red and blue led lights but failed!

Great shots - all really sharp with a good sense of movement. Silverstone really isn't that difficult a place to shoot at providing you think about it a little bit and take a plastic step with you. I came away with about 4000 images from the Saturday and Sunday - most of which I will bin, but I guess I am going to be busy over the next coupld of weeks.

Gutted I missed the WEC but already had plans. Looked like a really good day and some great photos, number 6 followed by number 3 for me.

Great set of shots, are these from the public side? #2 is the pick for me, love the combination of motion and shallow DoF

Really nice shots, both #3 & #7 stand out for me as I found both of the SMP Racing cars difficult to get right with the shiny reflective bodywork!

Really nice shots, both #3 & #7 stand out for me as I found both of the SMP Racing cars difficult to get right with the shiny reflective bodywork!
Cheers Ben, Definitely..I had to tone down the colours in edit

Great shots - all really sharp with a good sense of movement. Silverstone really isn't that difficult a place to shoot at providing you think about it a little bit and take a plastic step with you. I came away with about 4000 images from the Saturday and Sunday - most of which I will bin, but I guess I am going to be busy over the next coupld of weeks.
Cheers Gary, I hate it with a passion. Every time I go I am told you can’t take pictures here, and every time it’s a different rule for the same place...absolutely no uniformity. I know different championships have different rules and that’s why I have given them the benefit of the doubt and have just gotten on with it and in some way taken it as a challenge. And then there is the prices! Was looking at going this Friday to the Moto GP, £25 per ticket, not bad eh..... then why put a £10 booking fee on top.

Great set (y) like the angle on #3

Clive.
Thanks Clive, I was surprised to see no barriers at the helipad so chanced my arm. Spoke to the marshals who were happy for me to be there as long as I was mindful of potential flying things. Got the cars nicely as they came out of Becketts. I wish I had stayed there a little longer now to be fair.

Cheers Gary, I hate it with a passion. Every time I go I am told you can’t take pictures here, and every time it’s a different rule for the same place...absolutely no uniformity. I know different championships have different rules and that’s why I have given them the benefit of the doubt and have just gotten on with it and in some way taken it as a challenge. And then there is the prices! Was looking at going this Friday to the Moto GP, £25 per ticket, not bad eh..... then why put a £10 booking fee on top.

Funny that ! just had the same experience when paying for my Friday ticket and realising a £10 yes £10 handling fee was added ! and I've got to pick the ticket up myself...then looking at the spectator guide and seeing a couple of no public access signs,so it looks like you cant cross the road bridge by the experience centre or the road by Becketts,wish I hadn't bothered now....:mad:

You know, last weekend was the first WEC I have been to where some brainless security moron has tried to tell me I can't do something. That said, they have changed their security from G4S to Showsec since I was last there for a WEC and their staff seemed much more relaxed. One year, I got told by one idiot that I couldn't take photos on the slope next to the bridge on the hangar straight because "it would put the drivers at risk"(?????).

I didn't get challenged once all weekend, which was refreshing. When I was at the creventic 24/12hr race earlier in the year, some idiot told me the whole of the infield was out of bounds for the event (which no one had bothered to point out naturally). The BRDC are not welcoming hosts I have to say, and I always feel far more welcome at Donington and Oulton where everyone is so friendly and really can't do enough for you as a spectator.

Silverstone is such a sterile place as well though. I spotted the gap in the fencing where the loop goes off to the national circuit by Maggots and Becketts but didn't have the energy for a row with security, so I didn't bother.

My son has been at Silverstone working as a Race Maker this year and he said that some of the Show Sec security are real jobs worth's. At the Grand Prix one of their staff told them that they couldn't cross the Wellington straight Bridge to go infield despite having passes. A quick phone call soon got him told and he then let them through. Silverstone is a hard place to take photographs, but aren't all racing circuits these days?

I did manage to get some I'm happy with and will post when I get a moment but I'm still going through my days work, but I do like these John, super sharp.

My son has been at Silverstone working as a Race Maker this year and he said that some of the Show Sec security are real jobs worth's. At the Grand Prix one of their staff told them that they couldn't cross the Wellington straight Bridge to go infield despite having passes. A quick phone call soon got him told and he then let them through. Silverstone is a hard place to take photographs, but aren't all racing circuits these days?

I did manage to get some I'm happy with and will post when I get a moment but I'm still going through my days work, but I do like these John, super sharp.
God no, get yourself to Cadwell and Oulton Park. They are excellent, Brands is good but the extra fencing is challenging

I'm the wrong end of the country but I will try and get to them some day. I've been to Brands but not for a few years.

Back