Wedding number.....11! Mike & Helen

• Thread starter Deleted member 21335
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 21335

Well, the journey continues. This is wedding number 11 for me, or number 7 for this, my first full year. More things have been learned, things to do and not to do. The British weather is a royal pain in the ass. Venues that market themselves as wedding venues are largely crap for indoor photography, the way they light them (how do the top end guys DO it?!).

After the last feedback, I have tried to be more consistent with skin tones/WB and on review, perhaps these are a touch too pink? Although Helen has that beautiful pinky/white complexion.

The couple have sent me very positive messages about this set of images and are very happy and say they cannot recommend me enough, although as most of you now know, I refuse to use that as a measure of success. So, here are a few shots from Mike & Helen's big day with a link to the full blog post if you care to take a look. :) Clicky Linky

M%26H+Blog-29.jpg

M%26H+Blog-35.jpg

M%26H+Blog-56.jpg

M%26H+Blog-80.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Images are there and link works here so must ahve been fixed :)
Don't normaly look at wedding images but just tried the link as Dean says it were broke. They look cool to me. I am amazed how bright and airy your indoor home shots are. Do you spot meter all the time off of the brightest skin tone/dress ?

Gaz

Yeah i managed to hit post first without the images or link! Ooops.

Images are there and link works here so must ahve been fixed :)
Don't normaly look at wedding images but just tried the link as Dean says it were broke. They look cool to me. I am amazed how bright and airy your indoor home shots are. Do you spot meter all the time off of the brightest skin tone/dress ?

Gaz

Hey Gaz. When you say they look cool, do you mean the WB or do you mean cool like Fonzie?

I am glad you used the word 'airy' with regard to the indoor home shots as that is the look I think I want to aim for (I say think as it changes often). Yes, I tend to meter for the people/skin and screw the background largely. If windows blow, they blow.

Yeah i managed to hit post first without the images or link! Ooops.

Hey Gaz. When you say they look cool, do you mean the WB or do you mean cool like Fonzie?

I am glad you used the word 'airy' with regard to the indoor home shots as that is the look I think I want to aim for (I say think as it changes often). Yes, I tend to meter for the people/skin and screw the background largely. If windows blow, they blow.
Yay FONZIE for sure :)
Well you got that look for sure. I did think that was what you had done. I have not taken any photos that way as I usually stay on centre weighted. That said I must try but I am sure I will struggle when letting the backgrounds blow.Yet I can view yours and totaly fall in love with the look.

Gaz

These are good. I would be quit pleased with them.....How di you light no 2?

gorgeous, I think you need more confidence in your self, if you hadn't have said the british weather was rubbish and it had been a pain I wouldn't have known. Lovely pics and Im sure the couple feel so pleased :)

whats matters
Do you like them???
Do the Bride and Groom like them
...if the answer to these is yes
the forum members opinion can take a running....

hello mate

nowt too wrong with them. As you know you and I share the same 'thoughts' lol so im in no position to crit however I have a couple of comments based on things I do / don't do / forget / miss etc.

Fire exit signs.....clone them out wherever possible. They put them in the most awkward places. the amount of times I look thorugh my blog and then see the bloody things and think...How did I miss that!!
The first dance with the 'Love Sign' did you use flash? Did the love sign light up? The only reason I ask is that I have seen similar where the sign is a nice warm glow (will try and find an example and link it) and the sign illuminates the couple. However, I don't know what other lighting there was so may not have worked.
It could be my monitor but they do seem very bright, poss a little cool too.....

all in all a good set.

you thought anymore re the workshops etc?

Rgd

You're gaining confidence :)

I think no3 needs a bit of leveling...

I'd leave this as it is, you'll lose the bottom of the brides dress and the grooms feet if you level it. Anyway, these have already been finalised and blogged haven't they?

I'd leave this as it is, you'll lose the bottom of the brides dress and the grooms feet if you level it. Anyway, these have already been finalised and blogged haven't they?
...and probably no-one would notice anyway- apart from us!

Yay FONZIE for sure :)
Well you got that look for sure. I did think that was what you had done. I have not taken any photos that way as I usually stay on centre weighted. That said I must try but I am sure I will struggle when letting the backgrounds blow.Yet I can view yours and totaly fall in love with the look.

Gaz

Thanks for the kind words, Gaz.

Bravo!

#1 found a lovely spot of light & used it well, shame about the lamp.
#2 real class, a fantastic portrait. Perhaps clone out the stray hair over the ear?
#3 lovely - but wonky!
#4 charming.

Thanks for commenting. Yep, it is a little wonky but no going back now unfortunately.

These are good. I would be quit pleased with them.....How di you light no 2?

Thank you. I didn't light it, I just moved her to a spot where the light was coming in through a window and I had a plain background. It is before we left the house.

gorgeous, I think you need more confidence in your self, if you hadn't have said the british weather was rubbish and it had been a pain I wouldn't have known. Lovely pics and Im sure the couple feel so pleased :)

Thank you. There are some from the final, delivered set where it is raining but we went out anyway and you can see the drops. They didn't care though.

Another superb set Gareth, no wonder the B&G are happy with them.

Thank you. :)

whats matters
Do you like them???
Do the Bride and Groom like them
...if the answer to these is yes
the forum members opinion can take a running....

Do I like them? No, not at all, seriously.

Yes, the B&G like them but as per my original posts and ones I have made previously, that's not a measure of success for me unfortunately. I want to be better at this.

hello mate

nowt too wrong with them. As you know you and I share the same 'thoughts' lol so im in no position to crit however I have a couple of comments based on things I do / don't do / forget / miss etc.

Fire exit signs.....clone them out wherever possible. They put them in the most awkward places. the amount of times I look thorugh my blog and then see the bloody things and think...How did I miss that!!
The first dance with the 'Love Sign' did you use flash? Did the love sign light up? The only reason I ask is that I have seen similar where the sign is a nice warm glow (will try and find an example and link it) and the sign illuminates the couple. However, I don't know what other lighting there was so may not have worked.
It could be my monitor but they do seem very bright, poss a little cool too.....

all in all a good set.

you thought anymore re the workshops etc?

Rgd

Thanks for taking the time, Greg. I go back and forth with regards to the cloning etc. Some of the photographers I look up to don't do it at all. If it was there, it was there, but I do know what you mean so I am undecided. Just yet another decision to try and make on this journey.
The LOVE sign (man I hate those), was lit up but it wasn't really bright and there was still a lot of light coming in through the marquee so I chose not to use flash this time. They are a little bright and as for being a bit cool, I still find WB my biggest nightmare with this to the point where it really annoys me. Too warm, too pink, grrrrrrrrr! I just hope they were consistent than my last wedding. :bang:

Definitely not gaining confidence. And yes, it does need a little levelling but too late now.

Yep, delivered and blogged already.

Hi Gareth. Had a quick look on your site and i really like the shot of Helen with the trailing veil. A great set of pics!

Thanks for taking a look. :)

Four very nice photographs IMO.

The fact that #3 is somewhat on the slosh doesn't bother me as much as that disembodied hand coming in from the LHS of it, which could very easily be made to disappear and thereby improve a good confetti shot still further.

Off now to check out the rest, but before I do ...

Some of the photographers I look up to don't do it at all.

How do you know that, Gareth?

If it was there, it was there

True. But who or what says that it has to be there in your photograph?

Last edited:
Four very nice photographs IMO.

The fact that #3 is somewhat on the slosh doesn't bother me as much as that disembodied hand coming in from the LHS of it, which could very easily be made to disappear and thereby improve a good confetti shot still further.

Off now to check out the rest, but before I do ...

How do you know that, Gareth?

True. But who or what says that it has to be there in your photograph?

Thanks Dan. I've asked one of them about leaving signs etc in but as always, happy to hear opinions to eventually make the decision that works for me.

I've asked one of them about leaving signs etc in

Ah. So you know what they say they do ... ;)

OK then, I just checked out the full works and IMO it's excellent. I reckon you got more feel and spontaneity in that coverage than any of the others I've seen of yours - possibly because you were bouncing off the personalities and the events more? You went into it with fewer ideas in your head? Whatever, it worked AFAIC.

Just a couple of observations. One is your apparent tendency to frame a tad too high. Is that down to focus and recompose? Shooting wearing glasses? A preoccupation with cropping in camera? Whatever it is, I think you'd do well to sort it out now before you start having to bin killer shots simply because you've chopped the bottom off!

And ref this "If it was there, it was there" b0ll0cks, does that aerial not strike you as spoiling the first and second prep shots? Do you reckon nobody who matters (eg potential customers) will notice it? Given that it would take 5 seconds max to zap it, I'd love to hear a convincing argument for leaving it in. Same goes for the bride's plumage in the walking towards you on the grass shot after the skirt-lifter.

But hey, it's your gig, your customers, so everything's your decision - not mine :)

Anyhow. Nice one.

Yes, the B&G like them but as per my original posts and ones I have made previously, that's not a measure of success for me unfortunately. I want to be better at this.
This is getting a bit weird for me...
surely you are doing it for the couple and not for yourself
What YOU like and what they like are TWO different things
I can see this getting atad messy
if they love it it..job done ( never done a wedding in my life)
They may change their mind in 10 years time when they look at the album!!
No offence inferred Gaz and wish you the best

Ah. So you know what they say they do ... ;)

OK then, I just checked out the full works and IMO it's excellent. I reckon you got more feel and spontaneity in that coverage than any of the others I've seen of yours - possibly because you were bouncing off the personalities and the events more? You went into it with fewer ideas in your head? Whatever, it worked AFAIC.

Just a couple of observations. One is your apparent tendency to frame a tad too high. Is that down to focus and recompose? Shooting wearing glasses? A preoccupation with cropping in camera? Whatever it is, I think you'd do well to sort it out now before you start having to bin killer shots simply because you've chopped the bottom off!

And ref this "If it was there, it was there" b0ll0cks, does that aerial not strike you as spoiling the first and second prep shots? Do you reckon nobody who matters (eg potential customers) will notice it? Given that it would take 5 seconds max to zap it, I'd love to hear a convincing argument for leaving it in. Same goes for the bride's plumage in the walking towards you on the grass shot after the skirt-lifter.

But hey, it's your gig, your customers, so everything's your decision - not mine :)

Anyhow. Nice one.

Thanks as always for checking the full post, Dan. Not sure why the results are 'better' as you say, couldn't honestly put my finger on a reason. The couple were great fun though.

Re framing too high, again, I couldn't tell you why but I will try and be a little conscious of it next time I am holding the camera and see how I get on. There are a couple more weddings being processed at the moment so will see if your observation is consistent with that.

I hadn't even really noticed the aerial until you mentioned it either. :bang:

These are things I will look at of course going forwards and making the decisions that work for me, one way or the other. :)

This is getting a bit weird for me...
surely you are doing it for the couple and not for yourself
What YOU like and what they like are TWO different things
I can see this getting atad messy
if they love it it..job done ( never done a wedding in my life)
They may change their mind in 10 years time when they look at the album!!
No offence inferred Gaz and wish you the best

Hey, there's no offence taken at all and I appreciate all comments. Yes, I am shooting their day and the photos are ultimately for them, although I am shooting them in my style and the way I choose to which is hopefully what they are buying in to. The customers have so far been happy with that which is good news and hopefully that will continue, however just because they are happy doesn't mean I have to be. Clearly you haven't seen some of my previous posts about my own thoughts on my work and where I want to be and the level of wedding photography I would like to achieve, but this still isn't it and I can't ever see me being personally satisfied with it which is VERY frustrating to the point where I have thought whether this is the right path to go down.

Wonderful stuff, Gareth. I have a wedding coming up in September which I'm whittling about. You have a wonderful style and I hope I would be more than happy to come away with results like these.

You're moving in the right direction. :)

Wonderful stuff, Gareth. I have a wedding coming up in September which I'm whittling about. You have a wonderful style and I hope I would be more than happy to come away with results like these.

You're moving in the right direction. :)

Thank you, Bethy. I'm absolutely sure that you'll do a great job.

Just had a look through the blog post. It's a good, consistent set. They'll be more than happy with these.

It looks like you expose for the face in every image, while that helps with consistency it does make a few of the images look a bit 'bright', the dress in some of the images has lost its detail which is something that she will probably want to see.

I actually live around the corner from the church that they got married in.... Never shot a wedding there though.

Just had a look through the blog post. It's a good, consistent set. They'll be more than happy with these.

It looks like you expose for the face in every image, while that helps with consistency it does make a few of the images look a bit 'bright', the dress in some of the images has lost its detail which is something that she will probably want to see.

I actually live around the corner from the church that they got married in.... Never shot a wedding there though.

Thanks for taking a look and commenting. After feedback on consistency of skin tones from the last set, I was concentrating on getting them right. I'm pretty sure there are no totally blown areas and I do think at times photographers stress too much about all the detail being in the dress a little too much. There are a few close ups of it from other parts of the day.

Oh, and I don't think the images above reflect the standard of your work.

There's much stronger images on your blog.

Thank you, I struggle to work out which ones though!
These still aren't the type of images I'm happy taking or want to take.

... I do think at times photographers stress too much about all the detail being in the dress a little too much.

I'm sure they do. During the time when Brit wedding snappers were moving over to digital, not blowing the highlights of the dress seemed at times to be all that mattered.

These still aren't the type of images I'm happy taking or want to take.

That's a shame, as the pictures you're taking now are exactly what many couples want and are happy to pay a good price for.

So what do you want to take?

I'm sure they do. During the time when Brit wedding snappers were moving over to digital, not blowing the highlights of the dress seemed at times to be all that mattered.

That's a shame, as the pictures you're taking now are exactly what many couples want and are happy to pay a good price for.

So what do you want to take?

Hmmm, not sure how to describe really. I want to learn to make something beautiful that my customers can really cherish. Something like what I see from others that makes me go 'wow'.

I know I can't expect to do that overnight but that's why I'm so hard on myself, because I want to improve. I'm investing in some training and have my first workshop in October. Flicking through Jose Villas book as I have been doing this evening is so amazing. Inspiring and disheartening at the same time. Just beautiful moments.

Hmmm, not sure how to describe really ... Something like what I see from others that makes me go 'wow'.

Let us hope then that what makes you go "wow" also makes your potential customers go "wow" :cool:

I'm rarely happy with one of mine until I've lived with it for a while.

Hah! I was rarely happy with one of mine even after I had lived with it for a while. Or longer! :D

But ATEOTD that didn't matter, because we were earning our living with our cameras, getting the gigs we wanted to shoot, and shooting them in a "style" which was an acceptable compromise between how we wanted to shoot and what the punters wanted. If either of us had pushed things further in the direction we really wanted to go, we'd have lost our market - and the odds on us developing a new one quickly enough for that to make sense from a business POV were very slender indeed ...

Hah! I was rarely happy with one of mine even after I had lived with it for a while. Or longer! :D

But ATEOTD that didn't matter, because we were earning our living with our cameras, getting the gigs we wanted to shoot, and shooting them in a "style" which was an acceptable compromise between how we wanted to shoot and what the punters wanted. If either of us had pushed things further in the direction we really wanted to go, we'd have lost our market - and the odds on us developing a new one quickly enough for that to make sense from a business POV were very slender indeed ...

It wouldn't matter to me if all my work was just for myself, but that's decreasingly true. Nothing like a bit of pressure to make me up my game!

Back