Wedding Portfolio Considerations

Name
Dan
Edit My Images
No
It's taking me far too long to go through old weddings to pick out images, I skipped over guests as it would take too much time to find noteworthy ones and since I've been second shooting for the most part - I haven't bothered looking for ceremony kiss photos, as I'm often at the back - however maybe I could find something if I looked.

I've tried to keep processing the same for the most part, but some photos I quite like I now only have the jpgs for and the processing I did at the time. I've picked out landscape shots to make it easier to slideshow.

This isn't my final selection, just a starting point for criticism, because even by posting it here I'm starting to feel I've got some samey stuff and four of these are from the same wedding (oops)...need to diversify it a bit more - so any thoughts advice would be appreciated.

Got a wedding this Saturday and the next so opportunity to have more selection - particular as I will shoot the second one on my own.

I will replace the portfolio with my own booked and fully processed weddings where I can (instead of trawling through tens of thousands of old raws), so more diversity will come in time.

I also made a flickr album to create a pool from which to consider.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/62198876@N02/albums/72157698517458414

Portfolio Considerations by dancook1982, on Flickr

Last edited:
3 and 5 for me (y)

these are by far the best shots i have seen you post
you have came on leaps and bounds compared to your
previous posts

I'm possibly in the same boat as yourself in that, the few I've done, are a good time apart and so I'll need to do a few more to get a better spread and reprocess.

Does it matter if you've mostly second shot? You've got to start somewhere and seriously, we can all get caught up in looking at people that are at the top of their game and so use what you've got and add regularly.

1,3 & 5 for me BTW.

I really enjoyed second shooting a wedding myself recently and had discounted them, but may well try to do similar. Are you going full website?

Also like the no-nonsense processing.

I'm possibly in the same boat as yourself in that, the few I've done, are a good time apart and so I'll need to do a few more to get a better spread and reprocess.

Does it matter if you've mostly second shot? You've got to start somewhere and seriously, we can all get caught up in looking at people that are at the top of their game and so use what you've got and add regularly.

1,3 & 5 for me BTW.

I really enjoyed second shooting a wedding myself recently and had discounted them, but may well try to do similar. Are you going full website?

Also like the no-nonsense processing.

Thanks

I did quite a lot of weddings last year and a few this year, but because I don't deliver I never processed them - so having to go through them now is an arduous task.

re. processing thanks - I see the lifted shadows and narrow colour palettes and like them - but when I try some looks myself I always end up preferring just something more subtle with just a polished look.

I will do a full website, but it's a bit chicken and egg with a limited selection of images so far for the portfolio without fine combing all those previous weddings - next week I'm shooting a wedding for my brother-in-law and think it's going to be good portfolio material, and I'll have prime spot for all the standard stuff :)

Last edited:
Thanks

I did quite a lot of weddings last year and a few this year, but because I don't deliver I never processed them - so having to go through them now is an arduous task.

re. processing thanks - I see the lifted shadows and narrow colour palettes and like them - but when I try some looks myself I always end up preferring just something more subtle with just a polished look.

I will do a full website, but it's a bit chicken and egg with a limited selection of images so far for the portfolio without fine combing all those previous weddings - next week I'm shooting a wedding for my brother-in-law and think it's going to be good portfolio material, and I'll have prime spot for all the standard stuff :)

You must process a few though, just out of curiosity, no?

Most of mine have been family or friends, and whilst there's a reasonable mix, I can tell that they're not for a relatively unknown client.

Ironically, I've gone back to a more natural look for most stuff (full DR etc), but, I do like a certain lifted black look that I seem to deviate towards with weddings. Classical PP will never date and as long as you stick with one, best to deliver consistent images and work on your own overall development.

At my last cousins wedding, the video guy nicked the prime spot for the ceremony so I was relegated into opposite the groom

You must process a few though, just out of curiosity, no?

Sometimes a few, but the processing is too varied to be useful now. Some of my favourite ones I actually deleted the raws now ..oops

I've filled out the photoshelter site a little, but only use it for the event work I do for the school. Photoshelter seems very limited when it comes to putting a website together, can't see that you can add much text other than importing a blog.
https://danielcook.photoshelter.com/portfolio/G0000JKcXjHr38mE/I0000lFHHitrYA6Q

Sometimes a few, but the processing is too varied to be useful now. Some of my favourite ones I actually deleted the raws now ..oops

I've filled out the photoshelter site a little, but only use it for the event work I do for the school. Photoshelter seems very limited when it comes to putting a website together, can't see that you can add much text other than importing a blog.
https://danielcook.photoshelter.com/portfolio/G0000JKcXjHr38mE/I0000lFHHitrYA6Q

I’ll check it out later. I’ve done the same from years ago, only have jpegs of what I delivered. Probably not what I specifically want to attract though, without being unkind.

Knowing what little I do of your style.. I'd be very tempted to put 2 & 4 in.

1,3 & 5 are all lovely, competent pics but somehow 2 & 4 are a little more distinctive. I suppose it depends on whether you're going for distinctive or 'standard'.

Knowing what little I do of your style.. I'd be very tempted to put 2 & 4 in.

1,3 & 5 are all lovely, competent pics but somehow 2 & 4 are a little more distinctive. I suppose it depends on whether you're going for distinctive or 'standard'.

Thanks, that's a good point to consider -

An oldie, but distinctive :D

DSC07271 by dancook1982, on Flickr

Having a second look, the 3rd one is fine too, but I'd remove the flagpole growing out of her head (I'm alway's fussy with that kinds thing) And for a portfolio shot, if you use the last one, I'd get rid of that tree above his head too, fine for the album but..

Last edited:
Hi, just my 2 pence worth and by the way I am not a wedding photographer!!

1. I don’t like the hand coming in from the right.
3. Nice, just take the flagpole out of the head of the girl 2nd right.
4. Bride and father, great expression. Do you have a shot with more in or possible a tighter crop? Would like to see either full length with fathers arm in or tighter crop.
5,6 & 7 all nice and would be exrememly happy to have these as pictures of my wedding. Great composition.
8 - sky & tree. Tone down the sky and remove the tree from head.

Back