Wee attempt at horror

Strangely enough, this take has a complexity and an
artistic intent that really grabs me… very interesting!

I'm afraid it doesn't work for me - while I can see the intent, the only thing that looks 'real' there is the model's hair (and can I see creases in the background?).

Strong idea though.

I really like the idea you have here. To my eye and it's an observation I seem to make every time I've looked at a shot where these kinds of backdrops are employed. The photographer knows it doesn't look totally lifelike and yet many, many people shoot them in reasonably sharp focus.

Now it might be a case that the backgrounds are small, in which case I'd be off in the distance with a long lens and a large-ish aperture. It's a lot easier to use a healing tool or similar to take the creases out of the background if the focus is softer. And does the background need to be sharp, if it carries enough detail to present the situation it is alluding to

Maybe shoot the same layout with a softbox behind the subject so it rim lights the subject and have it turned down enough to keep the background reasonably lit so the window works. Then play around with the key light,with the subject further forward until you get everything balanced.

Regards

Tim

Thanks for that , I only just received my backdrop yesterday and it's much smaller than I had anticipated.
I am doing a theme for a few of my college images so it was my first time trying out last night.
Will give it a bash with a more shallow dof and see how it goes.
Thanks a million for all the advice, that's what I love about this app it's great for opinions and to learn [emoji4]

FWIW creases ALWAYS seem to show up worse in photos than they look in real life - it's just one of those things.

Back