Welding glass shots: show us what you can do ;)

• Thread starter Deleted member 3428
  • Start date
Got mine in the post today and just tried it out on top of a hill!

Fits the middle slot of a Cokin holder perfectly, but had real problems with light leakage behind the filter. Ended up wrapping my tripod strap round the outside and holding it in the 20mph wind, with my remote control in the other hand....must find a better solution!

This was one of the best efforts, just as most of the clouds had cleared! :bang:

darkslide1.jpg

Nicely done, I use the middle slot on the cokin too, I've been looking at the light leaking problem too and am going to try a piece of rubber inner tube cut to about an inch wide, I will post the results once sourced and tried.

Last edited by a moderator:
What is this golden hour you speak of Gary?

The sun was just poking through the clouds so I might get lucky later?!?

50 sec exposure is fine, like you say you just need a bit more movement. Shows it is doable though. ;)

Golden hour is the period where the sun starts to come up/go down, until it gets too high/low in the sky and any potential colour is gone.

Basically, everything will have a warm, golden hue. Hence the golden hour.

Its usually between 4am and 6am and around 8:30 - 9:30, but does vary. Google it :)

I have my glass but I am having a nightmare getting the WB right in camera.

What ever I do I just get green shots even after trying to set a preset as per Seans tutorial

What ever I do I just get green shots even after trying to set a preset as per Seans tutorial

Can we see a raw file sean? Would be good to have a play.

Gary.

Also, surely a "gray card" would solve the problem? I think the inside of manfrotto bags for example are 18% gray?

Gary.

Not sure if the camera will correct it as I'm not Nikon, I change mine in canons DPP software as it has a wider range. Try using your raw software to change it and save the setting.

Gary I have tried this one with a Lowepro bag no joy. The camera always says no gd as the filter is soo dark.

Yep this is a bit of cheap fun and no way meant to be a replacement for the expensive welding lens produced by B&W but from the results I have seen I'm loving it :D I will get out soon and do some serious trials ..B&W we laugh in the face of yer with our £1 purchases. :LOL:

At this rate you'll be using sandpaper on your sensor next to mimic a Holga!

I did get a bit of the ol' green glass, but haven't used it yet!

Last edited:
Is that with Gary's help FP? Looking good, the WB isn't far off at all.

I really should have had a go with mine today, but I'm feeling a little icky. I might try it out tonight, or tomorrow all being well.

I had a little play :D

IMG_39222.jpg

It's not in focus and it's not the best composition, but I wanted to give it a whirl so here it is :LOL:.

I'm having trouble figuring out how to focus, as my glass is a very tight fit in the holder, so focusing and then attaching the glass nudged the focus ring. The same would happen if I tried to attach the whole holder after focusing I think. So what I was thinking ... If I were to manually focus with everything but the glass in place, then switch to AF, would that bit of give in the focus ring on AF render it OOF as well? Obviously I would switch back to MF before clicking the shutter.

:thinking: Does that make any sense?

Last edited:
I tie elastic bands between the outer focus ring and the zoom ring...then when the lens trys to 'shrink' in size when the welding glass is hard against it, it can't go anywhere!

There was nothing wrong with my WB in the first place, I wasn't the one that needed help Jo :p :)

:cautious: You been spying in IRC :nono:

:LOL: I did the WB right from the start, but because when I took the shot there was so little colour in the sky, I thought it was wrong! The version I posted above is just about right, but I have increased the red channel a bit as well.

BTW, I wasn't having a sly dig, I thought you had asked Gary for help, because of the talk of sending him the RAW file earlier in this thread :).

Last edited:
if you have an oil stone you can use it to smooth the edges of the glass, ive used this to smooth glass on vivarium doors that are handled a lot
also welding glass comes in various shades for arc and mig welding the most common being shades 9 to 13, 13 being the darker

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3198/2793098608_db211e92f5_b.jpg
You dont nessacerily need a welding filter this was a 10 minute exposure after the sun had gone completely
If you look closely, you can see some star trails in the sky
My Flickr

Staff Edit : Images changed to clickable links. Pictures must not exceed current forum limits as per the rules.
Please feel free to replace this with a fresh/resized image and remove this text :)

Edward, that's pretty good :) You need to copy and paste the shorter code for the forums though, then click on the little yellow square that looks like mountains and a postage stamp and paste it in there. It should look something like this:

[IMG]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3198/2793098608_db211e92f5_b.jpg[/IMG]

BUT that one is over the forum size limits, so you will have to resize to 800 pixels on the longest side first ;)

Edit: OK you beat me to it, but it still needs resizing hon ;)

You dont nessacerily need a welding filter this was a 10 minute exposure after the sun had gone completely
If you look closely, you can see some star trails in the sky

Now try a 2min exposure with sunlight...

The point of the welding glass is not just for long expsoure night shots, it holds many functions.

Now try a 2min exposure with sunlight...

The point of the welding glass is not just for long expsoure night shots, it holds many functions.

Of course. A 10 stop is not even needed for night shots, in fact it would be stupid to use one unless you fancy hanging around 5 or 6 hours whilst you wait for the exposure and subsequent noise reduction to kick in....

After sunset, a 10 stop very quickly becomes useless (in my opinion). There are exceptions:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/scottishsnaps/3665773576/

Now *technically* I suspect the sun was still in the sky, just behind the mountains. However, I reckon the 10 stop could have been used for a wee while longer due to the time of year and "all night light". Generally speaking though, night time and 10 stop can be overkill.

Gary.

Nice set Dave, I was waiting for someone to post something like this, I still haven't had a chance to get out and do some yet.

these £1 bits of glass are looking like an absolute bargain !

some excellent results

Back