Welding glass shots: show us what you can do ;)

• Thread starter Deleted member 3428
  • Start date
Heres my 1st welding glass shot, using a shade 10.

7913456772_9dbcf6aa16.jpg
[/url] st marys 1st welding glass attempt by mackem steve, on Flickr[/IMG]

Hmmm for some reason i cant see it now, will recheck the flickr link when i get home, if i click on another image on this page i can scroll along and still see mine.

I have hundreds of these on the shelves, but i also have some blue ones that i got for a customer some years ago. They are made for gas welding with Oxygen and Acetylene, and give a better view of the weld pool and flame than the green shades do.
Maybe I should bring some home and play, also have 2" round ones in green shade 10 and 11, but I think they're gonna be too small.

Thanks :) hoping to get out with the welding glass again this weekend, will try to improve composition wise:bonk:

My first post on the forum having just joined. I was inspired by the welding glass photos, and having obtained a piece went to the beach today :

Claremont Pier Lowestoft by wickerman6, on Flickr

Last edited:
Another cracker. Well done.
How did you secure the glass?

Thanks again
I glued it to a cokin P style filter ring from ebay. I am amazed at how well the pictures turned out considering that both the glass and filter ring cost less that £3 including postage.

Thanks again
I glued it to a cokin P style filter ring from ebay. I am amazed at how well the pictures turned out considering that both the glass and filter ring cost less that £3 including postage.

Yeah I have the same set up, but not got around to using it yet.
How did you find focusing then screwing the ring onto the lens?

How did you find focusing then screwing the ring onto the lens?

Focusing wasn't a problem, I'm using a Canon EF17-40mm f/4L and the front doesn't move when focusing.

Hello everyone, I'm new here and have been hugely inspired by the idea of welding glass filters. I picked up a piece of shade 10 and glued it to a 52mm filter ring, then sealed the edges with some black electrical tape. If these links to Flickr work, please take a look at the images and let me know what you think. They were shot with my Sony NEX-C3 using a custom white balance, then adjusted further from RAW in CS5.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/55578821@N02/8000064550/in/photostream

Last edited:
Nice shots mate. In future though, if you go to Share, then Grab the HTML/BBCode and paste that code into you post, your picture will appear here. :)

Think you have done that wrong mate.
Just paste the code, straight from flickr into the post. It has to be the HTML/BBCode stuff, and select BBCode underneath the code in Flickr. Think you have the HTML stuff. Sorry forgot that step.

Last edited:
Excellent. Much more likely to get feedback on photos posted in the thread. Also you can change the size of the pic with the dropdown list underneath the code that you copy, if you ever want to post bigger pics.

First ever attempt with welding glass, not sure on composition and outcome but here you go:|

Ashness Bridge by npinks, on Flickr

Last edited:
very similar, looking at yours maybe I could have done with been a little further back(y)

I've just ordered a piece of welding glass so am looking forward to giving this a go.

What's the best/most effective way of fixing it to front of camera?

I've just ordered a piece of welding glass so am looking forward to giving this a go.

What's the best/most effective way of fixing it to front of camera?

Mine is superglued to a 52mm filter ring with electrical tape around the outside to light seal it. Seems to work pretty well, a bit faffy to spin on / off but never mind....

Back