Welding glass shots: show us what you can do ;)

• Thread starter Deleted member 3428
  • Start date
Some brilliant shots in this thread :)
How is everyone adjusting the white balance? In camera or with Photoshop?
I've just picked up a piece of shade 10 glass and I think I'd prefer to set a custom WB in the camera if possible (Nikon D200).

Ooops, Sorry, Wrong section.

Last edited:
Spurred on by this thread I have obtained my Welding glass,no.8 and no.10. I was suprised to find the edges allready polished smooth. Using plastic insulation tape to attach to a suitable filter ring seems to give me a good handy fitting.

Now the crunch,I,m a bit stumped by the white balance bit. Should it go something like this-using a Sony A57.

Attach filter-select custom white balance setup-point at grey part of sky and press shutter to select.

Having determined settings without filter,dial in an extra 10 stops and bang away.

If I get anything half as good as I have seen on here I will be well chuffed!

eddie

The easiest way is to shoot raw and use Lightroom. You have far more control of the white balance in post.

You need to detemine how strong the filter effect is. You can't assume ten stops until you try it.

If you have a bit of white in the shot... use the raw anc convert using that bit...

And save that setting as a Lightroom preset.. you'll gradually refine the preset as you shoot more shots with your bit of welding glass. You will need a separate preset for each piece of welding glass, unless you've managed to get two pieces with identical properties - unlikely if they're two different shades.

id like to try this but how do you attach the welding glass to your lens
thanks
Bill

Buy your welding glass (pretty cheap)
Consider your fatest lens... Mine is the tokina 11-16 which is 77mm. Then look online (ebay?) for the 77mm ring to holder.
Get some blutack, carefully put it around the ring (more to the outside) and then press against the welding glass, tight as possible. Make sure there are no light leaks, Try to ensure the blu tack doesn't go on the inside.
Done. For any other lenses you have, use a step down ring to step to the required diameter...

Thats what I did. There is a little blob in one of the corners that is the blue tack... If you look carefully.
Total cost is around a tenner max.

Something like this..?

This looks like my kind of diy! After scrolling this entire thread.. tips on avoiding the green tint??

The green tint is hard to resolve in the camera itself, but if you shoot in RAW you can make adjustments in Photoshop / Lightbox to correct for this.

_DSC5945.jpg

Hi, not been on here for like years, good to read through and catch up with whats going on here. so i'll add my new edition on here since i've started to take an interest again in this pastime, critique welcome on this superglued welding glass shot :pompous:
Cheers

Back