Welding glass shots: show us what you can do ;)

• Thread starter Deleted member 3428
  • Start date
tell me bout it!

however insurance seems to have paid off and im contacting them tomorrow to pay my excess then expecting a shiny new 5d mk 2 coming my way... :love:

Lucky you :clap: I suppose thats why we love insurance

i don't love the excess or the rest of the money to be paid for it cause i'm rooked but i shouldn't really complain.

just deciding if i definately go for the 5d or switch to the dark or sony side... :wacky:

what is welding glass shots

Go to your local welding suppliers and get a piece of grade 10 welding glass about £1 well mine was, use elasyic bands to hold it over your lens after you have focused take a shot for about 30 secs, then on your camera menu selct custom white balance choose the image you just took it will be a greeny colour, then use your white balance and choose the sign what corrisponds to custm white balance then when you take the image again it will have the correct WB hope that makes sense, sure somewhere som one did a little tut that you will find interesting and explain better do a search on TP for welding glass you soon find it

Last edited:
just picked some up from ebay (darkmutton) looking forward to trying it out, as i was always put off by the price of the "real" stuff, cost me £2.30 so tis a bargin, will be the first time in months that i've had the camera out cant wait

how do you hold fix the glass to the lens? do you just hold it there for 30?

OT: hoping i can get a shot like the ones posted in this thread, i already have an idea for a shot, will see how it turns out

edit: didnt see JD's post explaining how to, thanks

Last edited:
Not sure if you optech strap users are aware but the foam part make a great hood for your welding glass 10 stop filter or any other cokin P filter come to that. ;) I discovered this on my test run yesterday so thought I would share the info ;)

3817673512_2b56d9e10e_o.jpg

Alby, I think that someone should give you a Blue Peter badge (at least) for your contributions to photography :D - I reckon you've saved the TPers here enough money to buy a small Indonesian island, by now :LOL:.

haha Island. Reckon Darkmutton will be heading off to one from the sale of glass generated from this and the original welding glass thread.

Ha ha i wont be, i've put the money towards one of these

http://home.freeuk.net/tdkracing/images/products/your_body.JPG

Jo i would be interested in your pics of whitby, i live close to there, i could have dropped your welding lenses off for you.

Not sure how many took up this challenge and bought from you Darkmutton but from the shots appeared not too many. I would have believed loads by the original thread. Come on peps show us some more of your long welding exposures.(y)

Me and a few others are going out this afternoon to do a few more so hopefully we will have something worth showing.

Not sure how many took up this challenge and bought from you Darkmutton but from the shots appeared not too many. I would have believed loads by the original thread. Come on peps show us some more of your long welding exposures.(y)

Will get out & grab some shots soon as I get a day off work!

still waiting for mine to be delivered had hoped it would come today :(

Heres mine for now. Learnt a few things, 1. dont try this in the evening, as the sun was falling even a 10minute exposure was way too dark. 2. Need to devise a way of focussing then fitting the screen without affecting the focus. 3. for some reason I was getting purple corners, must be light getting in but I dont know how. 4. a serious ammount of patience is needed.

click for larger

Im down again next week so gonna try a bit earlier (y)

Last edited:
Another couple from me from a trip out to Bosham with a few TP members today.

3823277929_437b3a4a82_o.jpg

3823278283_61f582d141_o.jpg

nice (y) is anyone else experiencing a lot of noise with these? I was at iso160 and its terrible. I didnt use long exposure NR for the one above but on one I did after that wasnt much better. D200 by the way. Cant imagine its anything to do with the glass but Ive never had such issues before?

YOu do get a bit more noise than normal but it isn't too bad.

Did you cover the eyepiece? Apparently quite a bit of light leaks in if not.

These are getting better and better...........great first attempts bsmotorsport - much better than mine today which I binned almost immediately:bang:

Alby.........seems as if the light leaking problems have been largely eliminated. Better each time out.(y)

I opened this so you can show us all your great welding glass shots, I still haven't been able to get out so my effort is pretty mediocre and I'm sure you Guys will do a lot better ;)

462 sec exposure, f20, iso 100
3750368410_91a048c063_o.jpg

ok i wait to get slated here! but to me that pic meens nothing! there are some GREAT pics in this topic but this pic does nothing for me at all! i cant see anything,it look boring ect..... sorry.

ok i wait to get slated here! but to me that pic meens nothing! there are some GREAT pics in this topic but this pic does nothing for me at all! i cant see anything,it look boring ect..... sorry.

No need for that why not just dont comment if you feel like that :thumbsdown:

sorry if it come across like that,didnt meen it to! but i just cant see that its a good pic,nothing seems in focus. anyways lets forget i said anything lol.

Yeh I got a piece of WG and mine didnt seem in focus I would be interested in how others do it I set my WB and set to infinity I fered better with my nifty as my kit lens moves in as I place the WG in front of it

have you had a go I would be interested

Last edited:
Yeh I got a piece of WG and mine didnt seem in focus I would be interested in how others do it I set my WB and set to infinity I fered better with my nifty as my kit lens moves in as I place the WG in front of it

have you had a go I would be interested

in english?

Ryanuk I did say that effort was pretty mediocre and the reason for showing was to show that the welding glass method was a viable one, if you had been reading the welding glass threads you would have seen I couldn't get out to shoot anything truly worthwhile due to the fact I had the dreaded Swine Flu so only had the view from my bedroom. Ho hum I suppose better luck next time. ;)
The things that don't move are in focus the trees and other stuff like clouds aren't because it is a long exposure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back