Welding glass shots: show us what you can do ;)

• Thread starter Deleted member 3428
  • Start date
Hey Dave they came out pretty good mate and the mono suits ;)

in english?

:bang:

Ryanuk I did say that effort was pretty mediocre and the reason for showing was to show that the welding glass method was a viable one, if you had been reading the welding glass threads you would have seen I couldn't get out to shoot anything truly worthwhile due to the fact I had the dreaded Swine Flu so only had the view from my bedroom. Ho hum I suppose better luck next time. ;)
The things that don't move are in focus the trees and other stuff like clouds aren't because it is a long exposure.

Alby I found it seems I need to get used to it before getting out decent from it I aint got anything good yet not easy or where am I going wrong

Dave how are you using it? fitting and settings?

3750368410_91a048c063_o.jpg

I really like this shot - a very moody and surreal atmosphere. It reminds me of an John Constable style oil painting . Just a bit too much black at the bottom though.

Cheers Dave but this was just a post opener to show welding glass photography was viable. I agree it is dark and is nearly an 8 minute exposure that could have done with another 2 stops of exposure.

Um f 5'6 focus place the WG in front take my shot set my WB then retake but they always come out OOF

You will need to set your focus manually I shoot at f11 @ focal distance of 7ft. I don't use infinity I always move it back to about 7ft on my 12-24 lens. Not sure what you are taking shots of but f5.6 is a bit shallow, try f11-16.

You will need to set your focus manually I shoot at f11 @ focal distance of 7ft. I don't use infinity I always move it back to about 7ft on my 12-24 lens. Not sure what you are taking shots of but f5.6 is a bit shallow, try f11-16.

:bonk: I'll try F11 focus to about a third in if you know what I mean and I think I'll just use my NF Ive been using elastic bands to hold it in place but with the kit lens it seems to move a little as I attach it thus making OOF

Dave.............nice Bosham shot there mate. Mine were absolute crap:D

:bonk: I'll try F11 focus to about a third in if you know what I mean and I think I'll just use my NF Ive been using elastic bands to hold it in place but with the kit lens it seems to move a little as I attach it thus making OOF

Oh I see the bands are pulling in the extending barrel of the lens in causing it to miss focus :shrug:

How do you all keep your filters safe and scratch free when not in use? I've had a look on ebay for a suitably sized plastic case but had no such luck so wondering if anyone has had any bright ideas to keep this cost saving solution undamaged.

I figure it's a tough bit of glass, with no optical coatings to damage, so my solution is just to wrap it up in kitchen roll and stick it in the wallet that holds my normal filter holder :)

How do you all keep your filters safe and scratch free when not in use? I've had a look on ebay for a suitably sized plastic case but had no such luck so wondering if anyone has had any bright ideas to keep this cost saving solution undamaged.

I too just wrap mine in a blue kitchen J-Cloth

3826715376_813845dfc3_o.jpg

49 secs, f/11, iso 200

I had an old welding mask in the garage with a number 11 shade, so popped the shade out and went to the beach this afternoon to try it out. Not too great but I'm hoping to get out later this week for a proper play with it

iso 200, f11, 49 secs

I had an old welding mask in the garage with a number 11 shade, so popped the shade out and went to the beach this afternoon to try it out. Not too great but I'm hoping to get out later this week for a proper play with it

iso 200, f11, 49 secs

Seems to work fine, you just need a static object in the shot next time ;)

Two more from me; first 10 stop HDR'ish (it's the future people! ;) ) a combination of a 30, 60 and 120 second exposures, just a shame the sky was so naff, I'll go back on a good day.

3826254091_2d2d5df6ca_o.jpg

Next, a two minute exposure for this one (I even quite like the blown sky and light leaks)

3827053052_2c7e216a75_o.jpg

Last edited:
Light leaks are the hardest thing to sort out if using a cokin filter holder, Light leaks, I had plenty of those ;)

think i'm just going to super glue mine to a 77mm adaptor ring, the cokin holder is more trouble than its worth. Hopefully this way I'll be able to focus and not have to worry about ligh leaks once its on.

think i'm just going to super glue mine to a 77mm adaptor ring, the cokin holder is more trouble than its worth. Hopefully this way I'll be able to focus and not have to worry about ligh leaks once its on.

Why don't you just cut away the cokin holder slots and glue it to the holder and you will still be able to use it on different lens filter sizes?

Hope you don't mind Alby but I had a play with your 'test' shot and came up with this: -

Alby_s_shot.jpg

No I don't mind Dave. It wasn't a shot to get excited about really in the first place and like I said it was just a thread starter to show the welding glass was a goer and with a bit of effort much better shots would follow. You done good Mate ;)

Two more from me; first 10 stop HDR'ish (it's the future people! ;) ) a combination of a 30, 60 and 120 second exposures, just a shame the sky was so naff, I'll go back on a good day.

3826254091_2d2d5df6ca_o.jpg

Next, a two minute exposure for this one (I even quite like the blown sky and light leaks)

3827053052_2c7e216a75_o.jpg

I was looking at those images thinking 'what the hell is that?!' then I realised that it's the building with the rotating cut out section ?

I'd love to see these used in a busy city center during the day.

I was looking at those images thinking 'what the hell is that?!' then I realised that it's the building with the rotating cut out section ?

Yeah, you can see the size of the cut out and the whole thing rotates (have a look over on flickr for more normal looking shots, it's called 'Turning the place over')

I'd love to see these used in a busy city center during the day.

lol, great minds think alike, that's my next plan :)

Light leaks are the hardest thing to sort out if using a cokin filter holder, Light leaks, I had plenty of those ;)

Here's a solution to the light leak issue if using these filters in a Cokin P holder. It's a piece of old wetsuit sleeve (or leg) double folded over the filter holder. Looks pretty neat! Well, neather than an old sock anyway! :D Wonder if Darkmutton's going to start selling these too? :LOL:

DSC000171.JPG

DSC000152.JPG

Where is mine you promised me Dave, thought you would have popped it round ;) Do you do them in any other colour ? :D You said that would do the trick and I think you've cracked it. ;)

Where is mine you promised me Dave, thought you would have popped it round ;) Do you do them in any other colour ? :D You said that would do the trick and I think you've cracked it. ;)

Me, me....I want one too:clap::clap:

Guys, how can I hold this peice of glass infront of my 400d with 18-55mm kit lens?

Cokin P Series Holder?

If you're not going to use any other filters (such as an additional ND grad for sky/ground compensation, just blu-tack the welding glass to a P-Type adaptor ring. If you use a thin "sausage" of the gummy stuff all the way around the adaptor ring, then it'll be light-tight when you squidge it up tight.

If you want to use a grad, then the P-Series holder will work (though with the cheapo chinese clone I had, the only slot that the glass would fit was the centre one, and that one needed a gentle application of some 180-grit wet and dry to widen the slot first. Oh - and while you've got the wet and dry out, give the edges of the glass a rub, polish off the sharper edges. You fingers will thank you! Of course, if using the P-Type adaptor, then you'll need to come up with some sort of light-sleeving like the neoprene wetsuit solution above...

That is it Willbaroo, it fits in the centre slot, it will be a little tight but does fit, mind the edges of the glass and make sure you secure all light leaks including the viewfinder when taking a long exposure shot.

My first attempt this evening (about 5pm) with a combination of two shots at 17 and 90 seconds at f10, 100ISO with a 72p welding glass (grade 10) held onto the front of the lens with bluey-tacky stuff... A mix of Aperture editing the temp and tinge, plus combining the two frames. Anyway, C+C is much appreciated as normal.

3833680349_550b06e3b8.jpg

Back