Welding glass shots: show us what you can do ;)

• Thread starter Deleted member 3428
  • Start date
moody sky from the first and a better landscape from the second...

Another one from me, two minute exposure direct into the sun.

3831176419_38e7ff3310_o.jpg

Like that shot a lot hawker:clap:

Just out of curiousity was this takened early evening? cos thats would personally be my ideal time to experiment...if and when i can be bothered to get off my lazy arse and make the journey down there!

jay

Managed to 'stick' a 77mm adapter ring to a welding glass using araldite, not bad for 5or6 quid, B&W's are about £80
Glass-Adapter-2.jpg

Glass-Adapter.jpg

Will post pics taken with it later.
Regards, Alan.

Last edited:
A couple of shots with the welding Glass/adapter ring assembly.
Had a strong green cast staight out of camera but managed a reasonable conversion from the Raws.
Weld-glass-filter-1.jpg

Weld-glass-filter-2.jpg

Regards, Alan.
Details..5D, 17-35f2.8, ISO100, f8, 30secs.

Last edited:
i need to get out and use mines! the weather here has been abysmal, constant grey skies and rain... :bang:

Alan those are really good, you can use the green image as a custom WB and the next shot will be corrected. ;)

Alan those are really good, you can use the green image as a custom WB and the next shot will be corrected. ;)

Many thanks Alby, done that and it does save a helluva lot of time.
Thanks & kind regards, Alan.

Like that shot a lot hawker:clap:

Just out of curiousity was this takened early evening? cos thats would personally be my ideal time to experiment...if and when i can be bothered to get off my lazy arse and make the journey down there!

jay

I think it was about quater to eight at night, so about an hour or so before sunset,

I have ordered a couple of these welding filters and I am going to have a go. My question relates to white balance etc. I have a 450d and I understand the theory of white balance but does anyone have a step by step guide of how I can ensure that pictures taken with the welding glass / 405d and Photoshop turn out ok ?

That Youtube video covers the barebones of setting a custom whitebalance - Thing is it takes quite a long time to take any photo with the welding glass on the front, so I took a reference photo on a bright but overcast day (if that makes sense - think bright grey sky!) of my white card, and i've left it on the memory card (protected so I don't inadvertently delete it!). So far it's been close enough

That Youtube video covers the barebones of setting a custom whitebalance - Thing is it takes quite a long time to take any photo with the welding glass on the front, so I took a reference photo on a bright but overcast day (if that makes sense - think bright grey sky!) of my white card, and i've left it on the memory card (protected so I don't inadvertently delete it!). So far it's been close enough

I see! - So if you sent me a copy of your image and I copied it to my memory card and then use that as a custom white balance with these welder filters then its a good start! ?

Do you have a link to your reference photo I can download ?

I see! - So if you sent me a copy of your image and I copied it to my memory card and then use that as a custom white balance with these welder filters then its a good start! ?

Do you have a link to your reference photo I can download ?

You could try this one - it's only at 800x533 pixels so you may need to resize it to match the size of your camera's files (i'm not sure on this tbh) It's not going to be as good as doing one for yourself - as it's specific to a) the camera's sensor b) the lens used, and c) the wleding glass itself but it might be a quick way to try it!

went back out with mine, decided the cokin holder is a waste of time, just insulating taped it to the adaptor ring, its nice and sturdy and should I need to remove it then its no bother.
fil.jpg

No light leaks and lot less pi55ing about. Only problem was once id sorted this the weather was terrible, well not terrible as we know it (it was clear sky and red hot) but terrible for a long exposure point of view. As soon as the trippod touched the deck, boom, every cloud had gone. Anyway, with the filter been so easy to attach I did this 5 minute exposure at f11 with mirror lock up to see how the detail faired up with the filter on.
cra.jpg

Much much better than my battersea attempt for deatil, just need the right place and the right weather now (y)

went back out with mine, decided the cokin holder is a waste of time, just insulating taped it to the adaptor ring, its nice and sturdy and should I need to remove it then its no bother.
fil.jpg

No light leaks and lot less pi55ing about. Only problem was once id sorted this the weather was terrible, well not terrible as we know it (it was clear sky and red hot) but terrible for a long exposure point of view. As soon as the trippod touched the deck, boom, every cloud had gone. Anyway, with the filter been so easy to attach I did this 5 minute exposure at f11 with mirror lock up to see how the detail faired up with the filter on.
cra.jpg

Much much better than my battersea attempt for deatil, just need the right place and the right weather now (y)
Well that seems to work, looks pretty sharp too. I'm starting to think that could be the way to go. (y)
Heres another from me :)

3624090-2-newquay-watergate-bay.jpg

Another nice shot Andy (y)

Last edited by a moderator:
Just seen these on the flickr group Fullfast, very good Mate (y)

Hi all just found this fantastic thread (Alby what a star (y) ) and as long exposure shots are something I have been wanting to try but my Cokin ND8 isn't dark enough and I couldn't afford a 10 stop my order to Darkmutton is imminent. However before I take the plunge is there a big difference between the 3 types 9, 10 & 11? Also I already have a Cokin P holder does this need any adaption like the ebay ones? If so i'll order one of them as well.

Thx Paul

Hammerhead......Best advice about mounting the filter is with the insulation tape route further up this thread.......the Cokin P Adapter Ring is perfect to mount onto the camera with the tape.......need to buy a second adapter ring myself so I can keep the weld glass attached and still use my cokin system.....

Hi all just found this fantastic thread (Alby what a star (y) ) and as long exposure shots are something I have been wanting to try but my Cokin ND8 isn't dark enough and I couldn't afford a 10 stop my order to Darkmutton is imminent. However before I take the plunge is there a big difference between the 3 types 9, 10 & 11? Also I already have a Cokin P holder does this need any adaption like the ebay ones? If so i'll order one of them as well.

Thx Paul

Given a second bite of the cherry, I'd probably ask for a type 9 - the type 11 is extremely dark - something like 14-15 stops worth which ends up in 15 minute sunset shots very easily!

Just ordered mine in shade 10 so cant wait to join in, got next week off work so a walk to my local cliff front is on the cards :)

My bro's an ex-welder and has a lot of these lying around so he's going to root a good 'un out for me. Hopefully get to try it out this weekend.

Andy

Hi guys.
Still catching up on this thread. Should have paid attention from the start I guess :bonk:

Firstly, well done to the man like Mr Alby for discovering this!!!

Some totally amazing shots. I'm very impressed :clap:

And can somebody suggest an ebay item number to get these from?
I know it's been posted somewhere, but I can't find it now :(

Seriously, well done Alb, you've really started something amazing here mate!

only proof of concept from me so far

i have some going spare if anyone is interested ;)

Given a second bite of the cherry, I'd probably ask for a type 9 - the type 11 is extremely dark - something like 14-15 stops worth which ends up in 15 minute sunset shots very easily!

2 9's going spare here for a small donation to TP :)

Back