Well over a year

Name
Kris
Edit My Images
No
Since I logged into here. Kinda struggled last year like many with my mojo and so New Year and new vigour! The last home portrait was pretty much a year ago to the day, so with a new restructured living room, I was keen to set up a small one light setup and capture a few of my little girl. There's an outtake for kicks too :)

50799128496_d4f42e3708_k.jpg

50801072087_9c0d8ccbcf_k.jpg

Last edited:
The fan effect of breeze through the hair is great. Well done. Beautiful light effects on the hair too.

That's a beautiful image.

Would you mind me asking how much space you have available in the room you used to take the photo? I'm thinking of buying a portable backdrop (I have a soft box already) but I'm unsure if I'd have the space in my living room to use it. I have approximately 12ft x 8ft of usuable space.

James

Would you mind me asking how much space you have available in the room you used to take the photo? I'm thinking of buying a portable backdrop (I have a soft box already) but I'm unsure if I'd have the space in my living room to use it. I have approximately 12ft x 8ft of usuable space.

James
Hi James,
Ideally at least 16 feet for full body shots and small groups. You need space between the subject and backdrop, the more the better to avoid shadows. Portraits can be done in a normal sized room so your living room is fine

Hi James,
Ideally at least 16 feet for full body shots and small groups. You need space between the subject and backdrop, the more the better to avoid shadows. Portraits can be done in a normal sized room so your living room is fine

Thanks Rob, good to know!
James

James

Apologies James, haven’t been on here for a while. It’s always possible with a bit of work. I haven’t got that much room and here I had the background against the longest wall in the living room so that I can use the width to manoeuvre the softbox around (using the width). That’s my preference.
I was literally sat on the top of the sofa using my 85mm lens. You can get a little closer of course with a 50, but below that, you risk a little too much distortion for head shots imho. My area isn’t far off yours.

There’s normally a concession at home. I don’t tend to do anything below half portraits as space is just too limiting and I’d prefer not to suffer from distortion.

HTH

Last edited:
Back