Wells Cathedral with a Canon 14mm 2.8

Very very nice.(y)(y)(y)

Going by some of the shutter speeds, I'm assuming that you used a tripod?
If so, did you need to obtain permission?
Where i live, tripod use in religious buildings is often frowned upon and hence permission is requested

Edit, I've just re-read your opening post and you had the camera on the floor!

Last edited:
Very very nice.(y)(y)(y)

Going by some of the shutter speeds, I'm assuming that you used a tripod?
If so, did you need to obtain permission?
Where i live, tripod use in religious buildings is often frowned upon and hence permission is requested

Yes - I either used a tripod (nobody batted an eyelid) or the floor.

Yes - I either used a tripod (nobody batted an eyelid) or the floor.

I may need to make a visit next time I'm in the UK …..Those pics, particularly #3 give me such a yearn to capture similar on Large Format film, the beuty being of course that one can address the verticals before pressing the shutter!

I may need to make a visit next time I'm in the UK …..Those pics, particularly #3 give me such a yearn to capture similar on Large Format film, the beuty being of course that one can address the verticals before pressing the shutter!
I agree - I tried to get the verticals as right as I could in camera - and I'm sure would look even better on MF - this was also a Saturday afternoon - so not a deadly quiet Monday morning.

Excellent images. I visited myself a few months ago. As I recall you pay an entrance fee but there is no restriction on photography unless a service is in progress. I used my widest lens a Sigma 12-24mm but would have liked your Canon 14mm f2.8. I was not able to carry much kit so limited myself to just camera, two lenses and a tripod. Normally, I would have controlled my camera from my iPad which would allow me to place the camera on the floor or on the tripod looking vertical. It is now impossible to me to look at the viewfinder when in this position but in remote control, I can move well back and thus out of the picture and focussing is easy with the live view. Unfortunately I was not able to take my iPad that day but would certainly do so if I return.

Excellent images. I visited myself a few months ago. As I recall you pay an entrance fee but there is no restriction on photography unless a service is in progress. I used my widest lens a Sigma 12-24mm but would have liked your Canon 14mm f2.8. I was not able to carry much kit so limited myself to just camera, two lenses and a tripod. Normally, I would have controlled my camera from my iPad which would allow me to place the camera on the floor or on the tripod looking vertical. It is now impossible to me to look at the viewfinder when in this position but in remote control, I can move well back and thus out of the picture and focussing is easy with the live view. Unfortunately I was not able to take my iPad that day but would certainly do so if I return.

It was free entry - but a pushy lady at the door gave you a nasty stare and a loud tut if you didn't put at least five pounds in the box. I used a WIfi transmitter on my 1dx2 with my phone screen :) so same principle. Maybe use your phone instead of your ipad?

Normally, I would have controlled my camera from my iPad
I used a WIfi transmitter on my 1dx2 with my phone screen

Much as I have an iPhone ( only very recently acquired one I might add!), I am very much out of touch how modern dslr's can be used and what new fonctionalities they have.
My present digi outfit is a fuji XE-1 which by todays standards is old hat.
Pretty much shooting and prefering film means that an upgrade to gear like what you guys have is pointless for me, nonetheless it has it's uses and enables you to get excellent shots / perspectives like what Chris has posted above

Much as I have an iPhone ( only very recently acquired one I might add!), I am very much out of touch how modern dslr's can be used and what new fonctionalities they have.
My present digi outfit is a fuji XE-1 which by todays standards is old hat.
Pretty much shooting and prefering film means that an upgrade to gear like what you guys have is pointless for me, nonetheless it has it's uses and enables you to get excellent shots / perspectives like what Chris has posted above
Yes I remember from my film shooting days - it was tricky getting it right in camera - so hats off to you if you can manage it without this modern fandangalry....

It was free entry - but a pushy lady at the door gave you a nasty stare and a loud tut if you didn't put at least five pounds in the box. I used a WIfi transmitter on my 1dx2 with my phone screen :) so same principle. Maybe use your phone instead of your ipad?

Unfortunately I have a non-compatible Microsoft phone. This has advantages for me in other aspects but will not run my Helicon S/W. Anyway, screen on my 10.5" iPad is great for live view. I knew that I should have taken it but had to strictly limit what I carried due to a back problem. You remind me now, it was a donation. I said I would pay on the way out as there was a queue at the desk. I did pay at least £5 and thought it was well worth it. I also chose mid-week in May so it was fairly quiet.

Unfortunately I have a non-compatible Microsoft phone. This has advantages for me in other aspects but will not run my Helicon S/W. Anyway, screen on my 10.5" iPad is great for live view. I knew that I should have taken it but had to strictly limit what I carried due to a back problem. You remind me now, it was a donation. I said I would pay on the way out as there was a queue at the desk. I did pay at least £5 and thought it was well worth it. I also chose mid-week in May so it was fairly quiet.
I should add I happily gave a donation :) but the stare and tut was given to a number of others :p

"Excellent" set of images, liking all of these very much.

George.

Back