Wells-next-the-Sea

Name
Nick
Edit My Images
Yes
Had a few hours in Wells today for work and took the camera with me. It was a dreary drab day but I am quite pleased with this.

Wells-next-the-Sea Harbour
by Nick Davis, on Flickr

And a slightly different edit with a Lightroom preset added.

Wells-next-the-Sea Harbour
by Nick Davis, on Flickr

Both shot on a D700 with Tamron 150-600 lens at around 300mm

As always C&C welcomed.

When I saw the first shot, I thought of the flatness of the rendition.
When I scrolled down I thought this is nicer: better contrast!
The I read "preset" and…
With those presets, you don't really learn to develop your own taste
when it comes to rendition! …and the vignette…

I like both shots and the bird flying by in this maritime scene.

Last edited:
Both very nice but I have to say that I prefer the composition of #1. Wells-Next-The-Sea is on my list of places to visit sometime.

I presume you were aiming for these to convey dreary and drab. For me the first works so much better as a much more high key shot.

Thanks for the feedback peeps :).

alfbranch - very much so as it was a very grey day and very little colour to be able to do anything with.

I'm quite liking that edit - what did you do???
I think he's in the pub, or on the night-shift, or at the hospital. Patience ...

Since the conversation's already addressing the exposure (tonalities), can I say something instead about the composition? I see image 1 as being clipped on the left - it just needs a bit more room there to sit easy as a whole. If this is your whole frame & you're not totally confident about composing in-camera, pull back a bit and crop later. Also the boat that's end-on is a slightly awkward presence in the frame.

The branding does the image no favours at all! What's it for???

I endorse the comment about presets in image 2. But it seems to be a weak image anyway. Sometimes we have to bin stuff that we've 'created', and move on. Happens to me all the time. Life is tough!

I spent half an hour looking for the bird flying by. My! I'm getting to old for this hobby. lol

I'm quite liking that edit - what did you do???
I did this in Photoshop because it i easier when copying an image but what you need to do is get thd histogram spread mord to the right you would do this by increasing the white slider by moving it to the right

Back