Critique Went for a higher contrast, slightly saturated look, what are your thoughts

Edit My Images
No
Now then,

Went out into Edinburgh this evening to see what the German market and Christmas environment had to offer, not my sole best shot but one of them. Tried something different with this, let me know your thoughts.

All feedback welcome.

NKN_7836 by ryan hollings, on Flickr

Few others to comment on, but the first one is the one I am interested in your comments, feel free though.

NKN_7932 by ryan hollings, on Flickr

NKN_7808 by ryan hollings, on Flickr

NKN_7859 by ryan hollings, on Flickr

Cheers
Earl

Last edited:

Higher contrast and saturation is a cool strategy to accentuate the
graphic elements in a composition as it will reduce both tonal range
and level of details.

As in any kitchen, seasoning should be done in good taste as it is
easy to overdo it.

In #1, #2, and #4 the level of contrast is doing well but the saturation
is a notch too high.

#3 is strong but very pleasant still!

Comments on the first one, I love the concept and it's so close to being great. But.... the contrast in the lights from source to flare is letting it down - especially on the green at the top of the twirly thing where you have ended up with a green and white blotch! Also if you had stopped down you would have got a better star effect on the lights (and again a smoother transition rather then a central blob and orb). I would also be tempted to burn out the bright white door (?) and light top left as I think it detracts.

No2 is my favourite, nice and bright, colourful and festive :)

Comments on the first one, I love the concept and it's so close to being great. But.... the contrast in the lights from source to flare is letting it down - especially on the green at the top of the twirly thing where you have ended up with a green and white blotch! Also if you had stopped down you would have got a better star effect on the lights (and again a smoother transition rather then a central blob and orb). I would also be tempted to burn out the bright white door (?) and light top left as I think it detracts.

No2 is my favourite, nice and bright, colourful and festive :)

Perfect, I took the shot with several apertures, I'll take a look when I'm back, got one with really nice stars from the lights. There will be a reason I didn't use it (potentially traffic in the shot)

Always good to look over your shots on another day and re evaluate.

Thanks for the input, much appreciated, very useful.

Earl

They're all good shots and a good return for getting out there and shooting. I believe I read the other day that with PS (or was it LR?) that you can now brush in an ND filter to take account of uneven landscapes, so I was wondering if you could take down the brightness of the 2 big central lamps that way in #1? I think it would help.

Back