Were you moved when hearing of those NHS staff that have died in the line of duty.....

Edit My Images
No
Hi all

I do not wish this to be an argument political or otherwise about the speed and efficacy of the supply of the PPE to those performing their my much appreciated duties caring for those struck down by Covid 19.

Right, got that said :)

I have been moved by hearing about the deaths of NHS Doctors and nurses who have died as a result of contracting Covid 19.....................and I would be equally concerned for any NHS and related workers who have died in what I see "as in the line of duty".

As result of my thinking on this and considering that Covid19 is (thankfully) a once in many generations event that the aforementioned people should be forever remembered, in a similar way to the death in service of WPC Yvonne Fletcher, she did not go to work that day in the expectation that she would be shot and likewise neither do any of the NHS (and related services staff) go to work to perform their vocational duties expect to be so at risk that it could be fatal to them but go to work they do to perform to the best of their efforts to save lives....likely knowing that they are high risk of getting infected ~ facing the risk come what may!!

However, sadly a fatal infection has happened to all too many of them. Therefore I want to start a .gov Petition to have a "Wall of Remembrance" to those that have died serving & caring for their fellow citizens here in the UK.

I have looked at the 'how to start' the petition and it seems I will need 5 email addresses of those that also support this aim.

If any of my fellow TP folk would like to help me start the petition please PM me with your thoughts and your email address.

TIA and I for one would like to make this happen!

Absolutely, it is difficult to hear of the suffering whilst ‘safely’ tucked up at home. Initially I was very upset and struggled to gain any enjoyment from life when so many were up against it. I’ve started to type so many a post in threads from people complaining about petty things and then stopped myself to avoid a ban!

All that said I do realise people need to keep up morale almost like a wartime spirit so my own thoughts have mellowed but I’ll happily support this. I’ve pm’d you my email.

Even as much as I detest Boris Johnston and can never forgive the weasel for how he behaved during Brexit I do appreciate that he caught Covid in the line of duty and I don’t wish him any harm due to that.

Last edited:
I would place medical, nursing and other frontline staff way above people such as PC Yvonne Fletcher, in terms of sacrifice.

Yes, she was a young person with her life ahead of her, she didn't deserve to be murdered on duty but policing, back in those days, was relatively safe, she had no reason to fear for her life.
By contrast, everyone who works in close proximity to people at this time (which includes but which is by no means limited to medical and nursing staff) DOES have reason to fear for their life and yet they still do it, even though they could avoid nearly all of the risk simply by phoning in sick.

But my guess is that you don't need your petition, there will be a fitting memorial when all this is over, the government will be happy to do it, it may help to divert attention away from their own failures.

OP Said "I do not wish this to be an argument political or otherwise "

First reply " Even as much as I detest Boris Johnston and can never forgive the weasel for how he behaved during Brexit "

Nothing wrong with a wall of remembrance in principle. I suspect that it would better if we were nearer the end of the current problem before progressing the idea.

Absolutely, it is difficult to hear of the suffering whilst ‘safely’ tucked up at home. Initially I was very upset and struggled to gain any enjoyment from life when so many were up against it. I’ve started to type so many a post in threads from people complaining about petty things and then stopped myself to avoid a ban!

All that said I do realise people need to keep up morale almost like a wartime spirit so my own thoughts have mellowed but I’ll happily support this. I’ve pm’d you my email.

Even as much as I detest Boris Johnston and can never forgive the weasel for how he behaved during Brexit I do appreciate that he caught Covid in the line of duty and I don’t wish him any harm due to that.

:)

I would place medical, nursing and other frontline staff way above people such as PC Yvonne Fletcher, in terms of sacrifice.

Yes, she was a young person with her life ahead of her, she didn't deserve to be murdered on duty but policing, back in those days, was relatively safe, she had no reason to fear for her life.
By contrast, everyone who works in close proximity to people at this time (which includes but which is by no means limited to medical and nursing staff) DOES have reason to fear for their life and yet they still do it, even though they could avoid nearly all of the risk simply by phoning in sick.

But my guess is that you don't need your petition, there will be a fitting memorial when all this is over, the government will be happy to do it, it may help to divert attention away from their own failures

Re: WPC Fletcher ~ I mentioned her by way of 'similar' example of what I would welcome seeing done.................it may not have been the most suitable example especially as I think I recall the memorial was privately funded!

OP Said "I do not wish this to be an argument political or otherwise "

First reply " Even as much as I detest Boris Johnston and can never forgive the weasel for how he behaved during Brexit "

Nothing wrong with a wall of remembrance in principle. I suspect that it would better if we were nearer the end of the current problem before progressing the idea.

I think that is an excellent suggestion - PM send

:)

PS a purely FWIW ~ the folk I talked about were, unlike any Government representatives who have caught Covid19 because of 'natural' contacts which in the context of which I speak are nothing to do with "in the line of duty", those who are knowingly putting themselves at greater risk!!!! I speak from smaller personal experience from when I worked in the NHS in the 1970's.................one was a disease exposure and the other physical risk, of the circumstances of which were of course nothing like this Covid19 situation!

PPS in regard to timing (in bold above) yes, the Government may do such a thing but IMO (afterall that is why I thought about it) it can do not harm to raise the question and actually gauge whether there is enough public interest in the matter for the Government to at least have it on their horizon.................even if the Petition does not reach the required figure???

Last edited:
What more can you give in the line of duty than your life , So sad that people die in the line of duty , Also soldiers , fire crew , police , trawler fishermen , The list goes on and on , All we can do is appreciate what they do for us , And feel sorrow for the familys involved

I wouldn't say I feel moved when I heard the deaths of nurses and doctors, I would say I feel more like saying "Aw! NO! Not another one. Damn that coronavirus!"

Death does not bother me, I accept that everyone dies anyway, old age, heart attack, cancer, accidents, murder, and even from viruses. I accept that a lot of people have chosen jobs that would put them at risk of death, but I figure that they LOVE their jobs, and they accept the hazard of their jobs. For example, if you don't want to die, don't join the Army, I would have assumed that if you chose to become a police officer, you accept that you could be at risk of being killed in the line of duty.

I watched some of those Hollywood movies where docs, nurses, and other medics would be at risk, like the 1995 movie called Outbreak starring Dustin Hoffman and Rene Russo. If there were no covid-19, they would be at risk from anything else, ebola, etc.

Nurses have their reasons for wanting to become nurses, doctors have their reasons for wanting to become docs. Every one of them are different, every one of them may have similar stories. They wanted because they cared about others, or because they love their jobs, or sometimes because they followed the family footsteps (guy decided to become a doctor because his father is a doctor).

I would say, I feel more like I respected them a lot more. I would say for me, I feel in the following order...
  1. Respect. (Not only just for the military and the police, but also for the medics, fire fighters, pilots, construction workers, fishers, etc., etc.,)
  2. Anger, like feeling angry that the covid-19 took away another medic. (Or in the case of WPC Fletcher, anger at the sniper.)
  3. Supportive. Like putting up a "Thank You NHS" poster on window, or visiting a Royal Navy museum and buy a Royal Navy t-shirt.
  4. Finally, moved. Sometimes when I read about the clap for our carers, I joined in, or about a civilian paying for the nurse's coffee at Starbucks, I feel moved.
@Box Brownie If you managed to get that online petition up and running, I'll sign it.

Agree mostly with the above tbh. Any death is sad.

What about the London bus drivers? They didn’t expect to die in line of duty, yet have been forced to work in circumstances where its impossible to social distance.. should they get a memorial too?

And all the supermarket workers dealing with thousands of people daily at close proximity.
Not I have no respect madonna whatsoever, but she was correct when she said this was the great equaliser. No matter who you are, or what you do, it can kill you.

Agree mostly with the above tbh. Any death is sad.

What about the London bus drivers? They didn’t expect to die in line of duty, yet have been forced to work in circumstances where its impossible to social distance.. should they get a memorial too?

And all the supermarket workers dealing with thousands of people daily at close proximity.
Not I have no respect madonna whatsoever, but she was correct when she said this was the great equaliser. No matter who you are, or what you do, it can kill you.
We’re going to need a bigger wall...

It's like that bit in Game of Thrones when even sworn enemies have to set their differences aside temporarily and unite against the ice zombies.

View: https://BANNED/lizrob92/status/1246924104659357698

Last edited:
Back