Western Cape S Africa - Bird shots

Edit My Images
No
been here almost three weeks, but brought the flu from the UK so had two weeks "crocked"

the light is just too strong and it is very difficult to avoid shadows on these tiny birds
In fact I am adding between +1 and +2 EV most of the time and that is sometimes not enough with spot focus on the bird with a "sky" bg

a couple of Sunbirds

Female lesser double collard

perch melting away - I need my desktop to edit these images

FM_sunbird.jpg

Amethyst Juvenile - male

Amethyst_juv.jpg

Last edited:
nice looking birds you have there Bill. The 1st is severely lacking contrast but suspect the light to be the cause. The 2nd has better contrast however not getting its bit in focus ruins it a bit, i can get away with the tail not in focus but the beak/bill isn't doing it any favours. Worth trying again in better light and a larger depth of field or with the bird side on.

nice looking birds you have there Bill. The 1st is severely lacking contrast but suspect the light to be the cause. The 2nd has better contrast however not getting its bit in focus ruins it a bit, i can get away with the tail not in focus but the beak/bill isn't doing it any favours. Worth trying again in better light and a larger depth of field or with the bird side on.

Thanks Mark - I agree - I am not only having exposure problems but also DOF problems as the birds are so small that I have to get quite near and even at f8 I am not getting much DOF

Agree with Mark - but look forward to seeing your next endeavours in SA! Glad you are feeling better, and look forward to seeing more.
Enjpoy and safe travels

Thanks Wez

here is a Male lesser, size says Lesser, but red band says Greater ...... I think that it is a Lesser

Male_lesser.jpg

but these are such small birds - you have to get within 3 meters of them

Here's one at 7 mtres with a 300mm lens

6_7.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Bill...the 3rd image is the best so far, nice and sharp, great colours and composition is spot on.

whether Lesser or greater, lovely shot of a stunning bird! Glad you are feelingbetter, it must be tough with all that sun!

Thanks guys for your comments

just not been out much this year and difficult to find any bird hides

Pied Kingfisher

a small Kingfisher

KF_1.jpg

KF_2.jpg

and another male Sunbird - a tiny nectar feeder

sunbird_male.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice Bill, hope you are enjoying your stay. There is something about plain drab birds that I like and you have captured this well.

Back