Wet and waiting

Name
Lee
Edit My Images
No
I'm currently inspired by a young british street photographer called Joshua K Jackson who seems to be all the rage as Maureen Lipman would say. He gets a very cinematic look to all his work making every photo look like it's a scene from a movie. I've tried to capture that essence.

Wet and Waiting
by Merlin 5, on Flickr

If you want a cinematic look, amongst other things, try a 40mm (referring to full-frame size) lens, and retain the original aspect ratio if you decide to crop. (y)

Last edited:
If you want a cinematic look, amongst other things, try a 40mm (referring to full-frame size) lens, and retain the original aspect ratio if you decide to crop. (y)

Thanks Mr Badger. Ah that's interesting. How does a 40mm work to give a cinematic look? Also, when you say retain the original aspect ratio, I'm not sure what you mean, can you elaborate?
I just cropped out a lot of stuff to isolate the rider more and make him larger in the frame.

Also, I call it cinematic based on what I've seen of Josh Jackson's work, but maybe it's not the right word. I believe he uses the FF equivalent of 85mm and so I'm considering buying the Sigma 56mm f1.4 which will give me 85mm. Here's his work so you can see what I'm aspiring to. I like his use of colour too.

when you say retain the original aspect ratio, I'm not sure what you mean, can you elaborate?

If the original is in 3:2 format then keep the proportions the same. Worth noting that it's 'unusual' to see a movie in anything other than a landscape format.

Thanks Mr Badger. Ah that's interesting. How does a 40mm work to give a cinematic look? Also, when you say retain the original aspect ratio, I'm not sure what you mean, can you elaborate?
I just cropped out a lot of stuff to isolate the rider more and make him larger in the frame.

Also, I call it cinematic based on what I've seen of Josh Jackson's work, but maybe it's not the right word. I believe he uses the FF equivalent of 85mm and so I'm considering buying the Sigma 56mm f1.4 which will give me 85mm. Here's his work so you can see what I'm aspiring to. I like his use of colour too.

Aspect ratio refers to the width and height of a picture - these days 'widescreen' (in cinematic terms) is usual for TVs and computer screens. The image you posted looks something like the 'aspect ratio' of a vintage TV screen: slightly wider than it is high, and not a modern cinema or TV screen. Have a look at Josh's photos, and from what I've seen, they keep that same widescreen type aspect ratio, regardless of whether they are portrait or landscape.

Cropping distracting stuff out of your photos will only work if you can keep the aspect ratio you want. Josh probably takes many hundreds of photos to get one or two 'keepers'. The well known photographer Martin Parr has mentioned this factor of photography in several interviews he's done... his suggestion to improve a photographer's 'hit rate'? "Most of what I take is crap... so take more crap"! In other words, go out and take more photos (which is easier said than done at the moment!).

In street and documentary photography it's nearly always about timing and everything falling into place to create a great looking image at the exact moment you press the shutter button. Photographers will usually miss that moment more often than they hit it! But don't be put off... we all tut or swear at what could have been, but when it all comes together (which might be less than a dozen times a year even for an experienced pro) then the results can be very special indeed. Hopefully, the more you practice the more you will learn to 'see' a photo. Learning to 'see' is one of the greatest gifts you can have.

As for 40mm - 40mm on a full frame camera is roughly equivalent to the 'standard' lens they often use to shoot 'movies'. Josh might well use the FF equivalent of an 85mm lens where the compression of the lens can give him the results he wants, but if you are shooting in a more confined space, or want to retain more of the background (to give environmental context to your photos) then perhaps try a 40mm lens (or the crop sensor equivalent of that if you're not using a FF camera).

This video goes some way to explaining that, but it contains rude words and some references of an adult nature, so bear that in mind before watching it in polite company!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2p89smQck44

As for Josh's use of colour, yes, I like that too, so try and find out how he achieves that look. Best of luck and I hope this is useful.

Last edited:
Jackson's pictures strike me as quite derivative. Have a look at Saul Leiter's colour work.

Thanks Toni and Mr Badger, and I'll watch that video. Yes, I didn't notice it before but I see what you mean about Josh keeping aspect ratio in either landscape or portrait. Well my camera is set to 3:2 aspect ratio and I just went back to my raw image in lightroom and typed a custom 3 x 2 into my image. Is this more like how I should have cropped?

Aspect Ratio.png

Jackson's pictures strike me as quite derivative. Have a look at Saul Leiter's colour work.

Yes you're right, I believe he's heavily influenced by Saul Leiter.

:D The thing is, the red car looks crappy to me, particularly with all the motion blur.
It might, you have the full size version, I was just using it as an example of a potential cinematic crop.

Thanks Toni and Mr Badger, and I'll watch that video. Yes, I didn't notice it before but I see what you mean about Josh keeping aspect ratio in either landscape or portrait. Well my camera is set to 3:2 aspect ratio and I just went back to my raw image in lightroom and typed a custom 3 x 2 into my image. Is this more like how I should have cropped?

View attachment 299272
It looks you've got the aspect ratio meaning sorted (if that's the aspect ratio you want). As for the crop, that's up to you, whether portrait or landscape. As I said, learning to 'see' a photo is greatest skill of all, and I can't see for you, so have a think about what you've seen in that photo, and how to show that to others (bearing in mind they need to see it for themselves as you're not there to explain it to them). If you find you can't make it work on that photo for whatever reason, then try to understand why, and bear that in mind when taking your next shots.

Last edited:
It looks you've got the aspect ratio meaning sorted (if that's the aspect ratio you want). As for the crop, that's up to you, whether portrait or landscape. As I said, learning to 'see' a photo is greatest skill of all, and I can't see for you, so have a think about what you've seen in that photo, and how to show that to others (bearing in mind they need to see it for themselves as you're not there to explain it to them). If you find you can't make it work on that photo for whatever reason, then try to understand why, and bear that in mind when taking your next shots.

Thanks. Yes it had to be portrait since I don't want to include the red car and other stuff to the left of the bike. I've done a new crop which I believe is keeping the same aspect ratio. What do you think of this one? And do you think it's better with more of the rider and bike in it?

Wet & Waiting 2
by Merlin 5, on Flickr

If the original is in 3:2 format then keep the proportions the same. Worth noting that it's 'unusual' to see a movie in anything other than a landscape format.

Yes indeed, movies are landscape. I guess what I'm trying to convey when I say cinematic is that I like the lighting and colours, or the tone of the image, to look like a still from a movie, regardless of aspect ratio, if that makes sense? I'm probably talking rubbish!

Thanks. Yes it had to be portrait since I don't want to include the red car and other stuff to the left of the bike. I've done a new crop which I believe is keeping the same aspect ratio. What do you think of this one? And do you think it's better with more of the rider and bike in it?

Wet & Waiting 2
by Merlin 5, on Flickr
The colours are attractive and I think it tells a bit more of a story than the first version you posted (don't you?)... but what's the story it's trying to tell the viewer. If you saw that shot on a poster, would it make you want to go and see the film? Do you think that crop Chris suggested above might make you a bit more curious as to what was happening, or was going to happen next (although you might want to play around with a slightly tighter crop to avoid it looking like a road safety commercial)?

Last edited:
Taking Joshua's work for instance, this shot makes me wonder what the story is. https://www.joshkjack.com/soho-london

That, to me, is why it works. Yes, the colours are attractive and it's got that cinematic look to it, but there's a lot more to it than that.

Last edited:
I totally agree with you, my second version tells a bit more of a story, but granted, there isn't much of one other than the delivery rider waiting for a job to come in (probably).
And yes, that image you linked of Josh's tells a good story and most of his do. But I see a few of his that don't seem to tell me a story. Like these.

Guy running across the road.

This one. Beautiful colours. What story though?

Yes, but those two are 'striking' images - the second one more so for me than the first, which I personally think is OK but not wonderful (personal opinions may differ though!). Don't get confused between a striking image and a story type image, but ask yourself why each of those images works? What do you like about them? What makes you go 'wow'? Is there something you've seen in them but not realised you've seen?

Sorry if that sounds like riddles or pretentious crap, but something has made you like those photos and that style of photography. If you want to replicate it, and hopefully put your own take and style on it, then you need to work out what 'it' is. (y) :)

Last edited:
Yes, but those two are 'striking' images - the second one more so for me than the first, which I personally think is OK but not wonderful (personal opinions may differ though!). Don't get confused between a striking image and a story type image, but ask yourself why each of those images works? What do you like about them? What makes you go 'wow'? Is there something you've seen in them but not realised you've seen?

Sorry if that sounds like riddles or pretentious crap, but something has made you like those photos and that style of photography. If you want to replicate it, and hopefully put your own take and style on it, then you need to work out what 'it' is. (y) :)

No, I love riddles and puzzles and is the reason that street intrigues me! :) It's like a game, working out what is going on. Juxtaposition, etc, just clever stuff.
Here's another quick shot I got last night. I think it tells something of a story, perhaps a cliche' though. What do you think of it?

.. and the streets are paved with gold ..
by Merlin 5, on Flickr

Last edited:
Another suggestion: keep a note of your thoughts when viewing the work of those photographers you admire, and of your own critique when you look at the photos you've taken. Then read them back regularly so you don't forget them. If you watch this video you'll see what I mean, do try and watch it all, but pay extra attention at 4:47 on. (y)

Edit: helps if I post a link to the vid! :facepalm:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KA_qm7HWgo&list=PLMP_L0NjXk3p95wB-aXXbQWlX-Iy3O8g7

Last edited:
No, I love riddles and puzzles and is the reason that street intrigues me! :) It's like a game, working out what is going on. Juxtaposition, etc, just clever stuff.
Here's another quick shot I got last night. I think it tells something of a story, perhaps a cliche' though. What do you think of it?

Pillow
by Merlin 5, on Flickr
Needs a title... 'The streets are paved with gold' perhaps?

Thanks Mr Badger, I've taken onboard your suggestion to keep notes. Going to watch both the videos you posted. And I've changed the title to The streets are paved with gold. :)

Back